1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires Choices for Prius Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Preeeus, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Preeeus

Preeeus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Great tip. Too bad we didn't see your post in time!

Someone with good math skills should be able to figure all that out pretty quickly.

2. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We now have a 2012 Prius.
    It needs a set of tires.
    Our driving is mostly a 36 mile round-trip 7x/wk.
    Occasional drives to Atlanta (3.5hrs) or Savannah (1hr) but only rare longer trips.
    We're in south-east Georgia so lots of sun & hot pavement, & sometimes heavy rain, but little worry about snow or ice.
    We see everything from $49. Hankook's to $121. Michelin's
    Any new (2017) recommendations for tires, considering our usage?

What about these? They claim to supply original equipment tires to Toyota and others:
    Dextero DTR1 Touring 195/65R15 91H Tire - Walmart.com

Please see attached data plate on the door frame.
    It specifies P195/65R15
    Are any other sizes acceptable and/or recommended (or to be avoided) for any reason?

Goodyear Assurance P195/65R15 is what's on it now.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

#42 Handygeek, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just bought a new set of 4 tires for my 2015 Prius III. Got the Goodyear Viva All Seasons at Walmart of $294 out the door. Included mounting, balancing, and new valve stems/TPMS. I'm very happy with them.

I run my tires down until they're practically slicks. And I've never paid for an alignment on my Prius. It goes straight down the highway with no pulling in either direction, and no uneven tread wear. It drives like a new car again. It's motivating me to get that EGR work done and maybe a new set of plugs to take me out to 300k miles.