1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tires cupping gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by k9frog, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you google 'tire cupping', you will see some excellent examples. my daughter has it on her 04. she got hit by a deer, and they have never been able to get it right since then.

2. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for all the responce, i wish toyota would respond as well as the people in this forum do.but i will find out weds,i did hear toyota say they were going to rebalance the tires, i told them good but before you take the old weights off put them on the machine and see were they balance out at this way we know if there out of balance.
    I do not feel any kind of shimmy, shake, anything,so i dont see the purpose,but have at it.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had mine re-aligned 3 times during the first 2,000 miles. Get this, it was for the crooked steering wheel I wanted straightened - not because I thought the alignment was out. You would think they could straighten the steering wheel without an alignement? No cupping in nearly 27,000 miles!

4. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think the steering wheel can be rotated without the alignment, maybe put the front align tools on to verify if the front wheels are straight,then remove the steering wheel install straight, im up against the same dummies with the dealership i use,goodluck

5. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it doesn't typically work like that. you have to adjust the tie rods on each side to center the steering wheel on most modern cars. there is a master spline on the steering wheel and column you just can not loosen the wheel and move it around to where you want. Most shops have a Hunter alignment rack with part of the program called "Win Toe" this is how you adjust the toe (an alignment angle) and center the steering wheel.

also just because the alignment is in specs or in the green, does not mean it is as good as it can be or will not cause issues. like example if in spec was 0-10 with 5 being the target on each side and one side was 1 and the other was 9 that is pretty crappy, but still technically in spec. it is just laziness on the technician's end to not make it the best he/she can

you could try calling around to some other alignment shops and tell them your scenario and you might get a shop that would be happy to make your alignment the best it can be. sure you might be out 50-100 dollars but if it fixed this on going problem that is nothing in the scheme of things.

6. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Matt thats exactly what im going to do ,if the story dont change thru toyota, thanks for that info

7. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I spent most of my day at the toyota dealer. They told me they bought in a prius tech to figure it out, he spent about an hr hooking up the alignment and doing the work. The end result is the car is aligned i have the paper work here,he told me basically the car was not out far enough to cause the cupping on the tires he also told me he is going to report to the district manager and tell them he feels its the tires. I was told the cupping is even across the entire thread of the tire.Right now the way it was explained to me it sounds like it can be the tires. I'll wait until i get a call from the district manager and see what he says.Maybe i can get a different brand of tire ,I was told the yokohama avid s33 wasn't that good of a tire to begin with,but thats just what i was told.

8. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    now i understand why so many people i know have it out for toyota, they told me there not doing anything for the cupping tires,its my problem, wow cant believe they told me that, i must say they have some poor mechanics that work there , cant even get a simple service correct, i got a phone call into the owner of the dealership see what happens with that, but not counting on it,simple put as i told them fix it or i get a lawyer for the nys lemon law, they wont fix it,so now i need the lawyer
    i got rid of my gm car because of the same issue, not it looks like this ones going too ,what a shame,sorry for the ramble but as they say im pissed

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the paperwork they wrote up and send it to Yokohama and see if they will help you out. They worked with me for a pro-rated exchange for a new set of tires. It's worth a shot. Erica at Yokohama was very polite and helpful. :)

10. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well thank you much for that info ,yes i will check into that,it might save me on a new set of tires

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never hurts to ask. :)

I found that they were adamant that I have the tires checked for defects by an authorized dealer. If a Toyota hybrid certified technician blames the tires it will lend weight towards your claim. Good luck!

Oh and for what it's worth I had excellent luck with my dB Super E-Spec tiresso not all Yokohamas are bad. I trust in them enough to try out the AVID Ascend. :D

12. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i have been using yokohama tires for the last 10 years avid touring,what a fantastic tire that is, then i get the s33, toyota should be ashamed of themselves for putting such junk on a car,
    Thats ok at least i know were i stand with toyota, to my opinion they arent no better then GM, at johnstons toyota they have piss poor techs,and i will not use or reccomend this dealer

13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how much time do you spend on twisty roads and how aggressive are you in the turns? On OEM tires I had excessive outer front tire wear, more on right due to sharper right turns/car leaning in turns. It is gone now due to rear sway bar/STB install.

14. k9frog

k9frog New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    of course theres no way for me to prove it ,but we are very easy driving the car, we get 52 to 54mpg on the gauge, we bought the car to a yoko dealer and they told me im getting a 65%prorate on the tires,im getting a new set of yoko ascend lrr tire,ill know what the total cost is tommorow when i get them insatlled.
    I was told that the yoko s33 that toyota installs on there cars are garbage to the point there being discontinued,the tires on my car were defective ,the cupping was across the entire thread,im hoping i have better luck with the new tires,ill post when i figure out the mpg with the new tires