1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires for 2013 Prius 2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTennesseePrius, Nov 17, 2017.

1. PriusTennesseePrius

PriusTennesseePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi and thank you in advance! Im new to Prius Chat. I need to replace my tires and would like to know your suggestions. How do the Mich Energy Savers handle? Heard or tried the new Michelin Cross Climates? I need something safe that is a good balance between handling and LRR/great mileage. Thanks

Also, what Rev's per mile should I aim to find in a tire?

I have tried the following:

Michelin Premier A/S. Really mushy ride, quiet on the road, terrible gas mileage. Not great on the handling. Would not buy again. Mileage dropped to 37-38 mpg and I am a smooth driver!

Continental Control Contact. Terrible handling, smooth ride. Would not buy again.

Yokohama YK740's Great handling tire! However, not sure they are getting good gas mileage. Considering this one again. It is a Discount Tire exclusive.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

i just put the michelin e/s on mine a year ago. they aren't cheap, but i think well worth it due to the quietness.
    my mpg's didn't noticeably change. handling seems fine, but i drive like a pussycat.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed a set of Continental PureContact Eco Technology on mine about 6 months ago and have no serious complaints. They are rated at the top of the chart on Tirerack and are very reasonably priced. They have a more aggressive tread than the stock tire so they are a bit noisy, not bad though. Wet traction is great (one of main reasons I discarded the Yokohama’s at 35k). Mileage suffered initially but vastly improved after break-in. I manage 51.4 MPG around town. On the highway, they are just as impressive. All in all, I think my money was well spent.

PriusTennesseePrius and bisco like this.
  4. PriusTennesseePrius

PriusTennesseePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bisco, how is the Handling for the E/S? Do they wear out faster than others?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as i said, handling seems fine, but i drive like an old lady. i have read good and bad about longevity, but the problem is, you never know how well people keep up with pressure and rotations, and how hard they drive them.
    check out tire rack.com for reviews.

i think bazar's recommendation above is good as well. and probably less expensive. i really wanted the quietest tyre i could buy.

PriusTennesseePrius likes this.