1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires from Costco in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rangerdavid, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have about 2500 miles on these new tires now and can give an updated report. The ride on the Hydroedge is great! even at 42-40. They are much quieter than the Integrities. My regret is that I purchased a larger size. Instead of the OEM 185 size I got 205's, so they are the same circumference, but they are wider, and hence more tread on the road.

With the wider size, the car has more stability, corners better (and I have a BT plate). There is one "but" here, and it is huge!

With the wider tires, my mileage has dropped about 6-8 mpg on the average per tank. on the highway I have gone from 50-51 mpg down to 43-44. In town I have gone from 56 down to 48-50. This is very disappointing. I do have to allow for the fact that it is now winter time here, I have the front grill blocked (well, just the upper so far) and I use the EBH every day. I'm sure we are into the winter gas as well.

So, in conclusion, what we have decided to do is use these tires as "winter" tires. The hit to our mileage was unexpected and somewhat shocking. I don't think Costco will allow an exchange at this point though. These tires are great on the road, and handle very very well in wet conditions. Actually I love the tires, but I regret the size I chose and my wife and I find the hit to our mileage unacceptable.

Next March or so we will be buying another set of tires to use during the remainder of the year. Maybe even a set of Hydroedge's in the OEM size.

2. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I hate to burst everyones bubble but , yes the laws of physics to apply, so there is little difference between the 100% Nitrogen that Costco uses and pumping just normal air into the tire. All tires loose pressure due to leakage, either through the tire bead or osmosis through the rubber. The big difference is that Nitrogen is a larger molecule and leaks out more slowly than air.

3. Irunnoft

Irunnoft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 27 2007, 07:41 AM) [snapback]544639[/snapback]</div>

Ranger David,

Thanks for the information. I was considering this tire and your post has helped me to a) decide to get the Hydroedge B) make sure I get the OEM size! I also live in NC and I've noticed that I've been getting less MPG now that it's winter. I bought my car on 11/05/2007, but that was when it was unseasonably warm still. I'm sure the hit on MPG has to do with the cold coupled with winter gas.

4. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi Irunnoft!!

As with any new tire, there is a bit of a hit during the first 500 miles or so, simply because its new. After that, you mileage should level out and establish a regular pattern of what you can expect to see.

If you don't have your front grill blocked, try it!! It will really work, and since you purchased you new Prius only recently, you really have a treat coming next march or so when it starts to warm up. !!

I had been getting 56-58 mpg per tank even here in the mountains! So I'm still very happy with the Prius, and think its a wonderful car! I hope you will like your as well.

B)