1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires - Michelin-Premier® A/S vs Bridgestone-Ecopia EP422 at Costco

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ducatiduke, Oct 12, 2014.

1. ducatiduke

ducatiduke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did not see much on the site for these specific tires so I am throwing this out there. I am looking at them both. Here are the links
    Costco.com - Shop for Tires
    and
    Costco.com - Shop for Tires
    . I have bought Michelin's in the past and have liked them and leaning that direction but wanted to hear what others have to say.

2. writes123

writes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    premier a/s are performance a/s tires. more comfort, better handling, better braking with sacrifices in some tread wear and definitely MPG's, its NOT a LRR. new tire that was originally supposed to replace the Primacy MXV4's but is generally claimed to have similar performance @ new tread vs 50% tread remaining braking and handling characteristics.

ep422's are LRR tires, they are a/s tires not performance a/s's. better MPG's that are just a it under Energy Saver A/s's. more noisy vs premier a/s's. generally Michelins have better tread life.

it all depends on what you want. sacrifice MPG's for quieter and better handling. note that MPG difference can be a min of 4 MPGs and I've read of up to 7-9 MPG loss.

i personally try to maximize my prius MPG so I went with energy saver a/s and leave the nicer Michelin primacy mxv4 or premier a/s for my Lexus LS430.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ecopia ep 20 would be my pick. Michelin energy saver are great! Don't go without LRR badge. Your fe will hurt if you do. H

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Harold, the OP needs a 215/45R15. Unfortunately, neither the EP20 or Energy Saver A/S are available in that size.

Writes123, the Premier A/S is likely a notch down in LRR, but it is listed on Tirerack among the LRR choices.

Dukatiduke, I'm gonna need to replace our Michelin Pilot 215/45R17 sometime, same dilemma. I'm seeing mixed reviews of the EP422, glowing reviews for the Premier A/S. Funny it's initial tread depth is only 8.5/32", think that's partly to do with the tread configuration, where the gaps widen towards the bottom?

If I had to buy right now I might go oh-well-what-the-hell and try the Premiers. If you do, you can be the guinea pig... ;)

5. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a set of 215-55-16'' Premiers on my hatchback-- just put a set of 205-60-16'' Premiers on G/F 2012 ''v'' and do not believe we took any loss on mpg---- just my opinion. The Premier is also Tire Rack's highest rated ''Grand Touring'' A/S tire, and I personally would gladly give up a few mpg for excellent ''wet traction'' and ''hydroplane resistance----but--- I didn't have to...... I also found it very appealing that the tread [ supposedly ] evolves and gives excellent traction when well worn.

Daddyjeph likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What would be difference between Premier and Defender?

7. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It look like the Defender is a 90K tire, Premier rated for 60-65K miles. The Premier is higher rated in Tire Rack's performance tests, and costs a little more. I am completely satisfied with the set on my car after 8,000 miles, so got the same for G/F's car. In all probability we will get married [ OMG, hope Elsie does not happen to read this ] so I also got her some I really liked, I DID NOT take a mpg hit by going from the OEM Yoko S 33's, her mpg is still the same with her tires brand new.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you're using snow tires 4~5 months out of the year, treadware warranties get kinda useless. You're only proof of distance travelled is the odometer, and with all the miles eaten up by the snow tires, the tires would really have to last, to recoup anything. Road hazard is good though.

Lester, I'm close to sold on Premiers. We've got Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 215/45R17 right now, the OEM. They're a funny tire, expensive as hell, lousy treadware and RR stats. But, they feel good, quite/smooth running, and planted when cornering.

9. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tire Rack rates the Premier really good in ice and snow traction also---- does not apply here, though.