1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires - Noise vs Fuel Economy

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by analoggirl, Jul 9, 2022.

1. analoggirl

analoggirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welp, you know more than me, which is why I asked. And I appreciated all opinions and info.
    Thank you.

ASRDogman likes this.
  2. Michael49

Michael49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I got Michelen Defender T+H and there is an improvement over the balder tires I had (to be expected with any new tread) but I'm not happy with transmitted road noise. Unless road surface is perfect, it is still very loud.

Any NEW tire will be quieter than a worn tire with less tread, but my Michelin T+H are still quite noisy. BTW, any new tread tire will probably drop your mileage over well worn tires too.

#42 Michael49, Apr 30, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2023
    douglasjre and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hell my cheap $49 tires aren't that noisy I mean these Prius aren't that noisy in general I mean not terribly so so I guess if you're coming from a Lincoln town car some very modern vehicle or luxury vehicle that's older even yeah the Prius might be noisy oh well especially a generation two it's like 15 plus years old now or something generally speaking noises usually the furthest thing from people's mind when a car's this old but yeah. I guess there are specifications for road noise generated by the tire all tire manufacturers seem to do that so I don't even ever look at that specification I'm more interested in the treadware traction rating that sort of thing which will directly correlate to noise I'm certain the more sticky the tire and the better the grip I would think it would have to have more noise so like with everything else it's all the trade-off turn the stereo up turn your phone louder I don't know the answer.