1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires size possible deal breaker on 2023 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Dionysus81, Jan 13, 2023.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I just got off the phone with Michelin. The supervisor told me this 19” Primacy tire isn’t currently being manufactured right now. It should start up again in a month or so with estimated stock available mid June or July. No issues with materials etc. They simply don’t do continuous production for a tire that isn’t in high demand. She is not hearing any complaints about poor quality and blowouts etc. I know it’s primarily the low profile that’s causing the issue but I hope people with blowouts put a call into Michelin so there is some documentation accumulating. She was surprised to hear that dealers don’t have the OEM tire available. : /

Louis19 and bisco like this.
  2. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    @GeoJ
    @Downrange
    Speaking of coincidence, I had an appointment at my Toyota dealer for removing my winter tires, while waiting, I saw a client entering the service desk with a Prime 19inch wheel a blown tire mounted on it. The wheel was also damaged.

I waited for him to return at is 2024 Prime in the parking lot. He was very kind to discuss his adventure.

In a nutshell , the car is brand new and his millage is 800KM (500 miles) The incident arrived 300KM away from home in a region with very poor Cell phone coverage ……no spare and unable to inflate the thing with the compressor with the liquid seal………so after being towed to the nearest Toyota dealer it was impossible to get a new tire and wheel for a few days ….so he called his daughter and asked her to bring her 17 inch wheel mounted with her Michelin winter tire..

He loves the new car, but he thinks the 17 inches would have been better but not offered on his higher trim model.He also is thinking of travelling with a spare and some tools nedded to replace a flat tire like the old days when he travels in some remote region.
    p.s his daughter has a 2023 Prime and has her winter tires

#242 Louis19, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    daisy555 and bisco like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How to kill the Prius: when sales are down to a pittance of what they were a decade back, come out with a "sporty" Prius, give it an obscure tire size, on a ridiculously oversize rim. Oh, and no spare.

daisy555, bisco and Louis19 like this.
  4. TGTGUUD

TGTGUUD Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    One of my 17” Toyo tires exploded at 70mph last Friday. The car handled it well but the tire has a huge puncture near the edge and a sidewall bulge.
    I ordered a replacement from America’s Tire last Friday and it is arriving this Thursday.
    At least the 17s are somewhat available but when these wear down a little more I’ll switch to 215s.

5. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes! Glad to hear car handled it well. Could have been a really bad situation.

TGTGUUD likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never got a flat in any of my three Prius

7. villageidiot2

villageidiot2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    According to the chef engineer, seems it was a design driven decision lol (skip to 2:28 and 3:06):

daisy555 likes this.
  8. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dang, you folks got me worried....my wife is looking to replace her 2017 with a 2024 or 2025 XLE with the 19" tires.

Discount Tire only has 2 options and one is $260, Michelin Primacy rated at 45,000 mile (I believe that's more than tires for my Tundra!!) The cheaper is a Toyo Tire for $172 with no mileage estimates.

So has anybody purchased real spare tires for their Prius? (I got one for my 2021 but, of course, it won't fit the 2024)

9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes there are detailed posts about the configurations for a spare tire that work with the XLE even the AWD version. Toyota dealerships have the parts. I’m still waiting on my XLE AWD and somewhat grateful it has been stalled. I’ll probably get the tire warranty unless I get brave enough to switch out the wheels. I don’t have anyone to rely on when I get a flat except AAA but they will be useless unless I get a spare tire.

I’ve encountered a few people including women who are really enjoying their Gen 5 especially the improved acceleration. One guy said he’s finding the AWD has noticeably improved his driving in the rain.

Louis19 likes this.
  10. radsaq

radsaq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Tire Rack is currently showing the Toyo and Michelin Primacy as having more stock coming on 5/7 and 5/10, respectively. I'm not an expert on tires or logistics but I assume for less popular sizes they make them in batches, so they they made some in March or April that are en route to suppliers and in a few more weeks they'll make another batch. We can only hope that each batch is larger than the last in order to meet increasing demand.

daisy555 likes this.
  11. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I did see the back order date. Strange that Michelin told me there won’t be any available until mid June or July.