1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires size possible deal breaker on 2023 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Dionysus81, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Oops, one last thing(I promise). The 17" steel wheel likely needs a different set of lug nuts. You can see the difference in the attached pdf below. All Priuses in the US use the sleeved style lug nut. The steel wheel uses the traditional style. The pdf also shows the wheel cover that goes with the steel wheel in Japan.

Here's a set of the steel wheels with covers for sale on Yahoo Japan just so you can get an idea what they look like:
    ヤフオク! - 新型60プリウス 純正スチールホイール&ホイール...

Attached Files:

macondo100 likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Am I completely off-base; I seem to recall they're lug bolts? It's lug nuts according to Owner's Manual (excerpt attached)

Barring that, and if it's similar to 3rd gen: steel wheels will work with the stock stock lug nuts. The "sleeve" portion has the proper bevel at the end. Clincher: the spare tire rims (if and where supplied) are steel. The only issue is the lug nuts stick out quite a bit, look odd. I used older Corolla steel rims with my '10 for snows, and did procure some simple lug nuts through dealership, galvanized open-end nuts, presumably covered with a plastic wheel cover in the Corolla application. The part no for those, may or may not be the same:

steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

Attached Files:

3. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yeah, you can probably use the existing sleeved lug nuts on the steel wheel, I was just being fully transparent for the sake of honesty. And there's a tiny part of me that says 50 miles at 55mph isn't the same as indefinite distance at up to max speed.

The pre-production press vehicles had lug bolts, but the production cars went back to lug nuts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What those aforementioned lug nuts look like, nothing fancy, they are Toyota.

Attached Files:

5. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you know if the Prius 2023 has a direct or indirect TPMS System? I'm thinking of buying the alloy wheel as full spare, OEM 42611-47651, as you noted. Not sure if I'll need anything else like TPMS if I decide to get the wheel plus the tire. Thanks in advance.

6. Hammersmith

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    It's a direct system. I believe it's 42607-47020 for $100.02 MSRP. You'll probably want to double check the number with the parts dealer you buy it from. I remember making a post about it within the last month, but do you think I saved the info or can find the post? <sigh>

NM, I did save it. I need to sort my info better.
    My earlier info(from MicroCat) says it's 42607-47010. Autoparts.toyota.com says 42607-47020. Both are the same price; $100.02. Probably worth a call before purchasing to determine which works or if they're interchangeable.

#166 Hammersmith, Aug 8, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    macondo100 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends if you want to use it as just a temp spare, or plan to have it in use as a regular tire. I "think" it's possible for the car to recognize 5 tpms sensors (from just reading here regarding earlier gen's), but not sure.

My 2 cents: you're opting for the most expensive and complicated approach, going for a full-size, stock rim, with tpms.

8. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Perfect, thanks; will check on the part #.

9. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I plan to use it as a full spare and I understand it's the most expensive and complicated approach but call it insurance. A "regular" spare won't help if I'm traveling in Canada and get a flat, for example, considering I have to wait 3+ days to get a tire of size P195/60R17. I heard a story about this happening to someone already. And considering the repair kit costs $131 (and you need one each time you use it), then I'm making my decision based on those factors. I'm still weighing my options though.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A quality plug-repair kit* is something to consider too.

I feel lucky to have bought in 2010, believe it or not. All the levels had a spare, scissor jack and lug nut wrench. I also pack:

plug-repair kit
    small square of plywood, to place under the scissor jack, when you're on loose/soft ground
    wheel chocks (put forward and aft of the wheel diagonally across from the flat)
    Floor-style bicycle tire pump (yes, you can bring a tire back from flat with these, and they're good for top-ups)
    Collapsible traffic cone
    High-vis vest
    Insulated gloves
    A few shop towels
    Pressure gauge
    Spray bottle of soapy water
    Tire marker pen
    Plastic garbage bag (for cruddy tire you might be putting in the hatch)

*Old-school, outside-only plug repair, that you can do by the roadside, in a pinch, as long as it's just a simple puncture. BlackJack is the brand I got.

#170 Mendel Leisk, Aug 8, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    xliderider, Trollbait and macondo100 like this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just a note for those that are okay with the slime pump. There are third party ones available that don't require replacing the entire pump after use, and the refills are maybe half the price of what a dealer may charge.

daisy555 and macondo100 like this.
  12. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, need to look into that too; thanks!

13. NEPA PRIUS

NEPA PRIUS New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e

I'm just throwing a plug kit in trunk and if I'm on trips a spare factory rim I bought. Very expensive. $600. But then if not a flat tire and instead a damaged rim I can easily go anywhere and have them put my original tire and pressure sensor on the new rim. Otherwise I will be stranded for an extra day or two. Will save space in trunk area as well just having rim without tire on it... Of course in the car would need to be towed to a service place or Toyota dealership. Spare with tire would be best but not sure if the car would get confused reading another pressure sensor on spare tire. Not sure how all that works. Plus trunk is pretty small so a spare with tire would take up majority of the room. Not like cars of past sigh.....but love the car!

macondo100 likes this.
  14. macondo100

macondo100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ended up buying the spare rim and tire and will throw in the back of the trunk on long trips; I have yet to get the jack tools that fit in the styrofoam that covers the section where the spare is supposed to go; in addition, I'll carry a tire plug kit with me all the times to get me out of jams. I'll post some pics later when I install the spare. One thing to notice is that the spare really doesn't fit the space (or barely does) where the spare is supposed to go. The diameter of the spare came to be about 1" more than the regular tire and there is really no hollow space where it can fit in the trunk; if you decide to carry it, then you have to buy all the additional parts because the original styrofoam will no longer sit evenly (al all) over the spare. This has been a pain to figure out but I'm almost there.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Don’t understand this.

16. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    How many flats have you had since 2010?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Two.

18. GeoJ

GeoJ Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thanks. I have not any, so depending on how you view "luck" I am either due or immune. Only interested as someone who now needs to decide if I live with no spare, just the repair kit they give you, or get geared up to do a spare tire change in case of flat. With no place to store the spare in the 2023 Prime, I may just test my luck. Really stupid issue, but not enough to not make me buy the car.

19. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    so... picked up a T155/90/16 compact spare.... and I don't even have my car yet. but looks like it'll be an ok spare in terms of dimensions:

the wrench and jack likely coming from Princess Auto or Canadian Tire....

20. Nntw

Nntw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    holy.... different lug nuts for the spare steel wheel vs the alloys?