1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires with Cables Just Spun On BlackTop

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Plug-in Guy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone else had the experience of your tires just spinning with no road traction when using snow cables or chains and climbing a hill? It was the most embarrassing and stressful thing i had had to deal with in a long time. I held up traffic and had to wave the cars by me until I was luckily able to turn around.

I had to hoof it with my skis and boots and all my stuff up the mountain to the ski lodge.

I will admit I used universally sized cables and they were not high high-end but they did fit well. The roads had spots of ice but we're mostly clear, yet chains were required.

The cables just spun on the black top. Was this the Prius or the Cables? I've had the car since new and for three years but never had to use chains before.

It is no secret the Prius is under powered and lacks a necessary lower gear. This was a tramatic experience and I has got me thinking about selling and buying outside of Prius family. ADVISE? Ideas?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the tires were spinning INSIDE the cable web, then the cables were too loose. Can't imagine that the cables were scraping the blacktop and you were still not moving.

3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I don't have any experience with driving the Prius in snow, but it's by no means underpowered. Turn off Eco mode if it's on. I wonder would putting it in "B" help at all?

The owner's manual doesn't say much about driving in snow besides using snow tyres and chains when necessary - it does have specifications on what size chains to use though.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The cables were clearly either too loose or just junk. Your car made them spin while other cars passed you by. How could that not be enough power? If I put my PiP in power mode and stomp the accelerator, it's like a slingshot. It might take a while to get to 70 mph, but it'll get to 20 in the blink of an eye. And, as I said, all the horsepower in the world won't move you if your chains aren't getting traction.

PS, I see this was your first post. Welcome. How long have you had your PiP?

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This also might be a situation where "traction control" was actually doing more harm than good.

And gotta ask:
    You did put the cables/chains on the FRONT wheels.....right ??

CatsAreGods and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's kind of my thinking in asking how long he's had the car. Traction control can feel like slippage. Very good point, Sam. I haven't been in super slippery conditions yet with a Prius, but I've read that it can be amazing if you manage the throttle properly. Or it can drive you nuts. ;)

7. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Aren't there some pedal/switch incantations that can be performed to disable the traction control, or am I thinking of the 2nd gen Prius?

Plug-in Guy likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The fourth gen has a kosher in-dash button (or something in the Multi-Function Display menus?) to disable Traction Control. But 3rd gen does not. With the latter I would not disable traction control, say via special maintenance mode method. It's outlined in the Repair Manual, with strong caution that it is not to be used with regular driving, could toast the the transaxle.

Plug-in Guy and QuantumFireball like this.
  9. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI Galide, we'll imagine my surprise when that was exactly what happened. The tires spun uphill on the blacktop and I went nowhere. And yes, the cables where tight and properly installed on the front wheels. They may just have been poorly constructed cables? However I walked around the parking lot and plenty of other cars had the same cables. Exactly.

10. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello QF, power and torque are too different things and IMHO the Plug in lacks both. I still love my car. It's a fantastic representation of who I am and makes sense for city driving where i spend 90% of my time. I did not try the B gear during this incident but I did try the power mode and Eco. Same results. Tires spun and I went nowhere. Nice community we have here. We are the group who cars about the environment.

QuantumFireball likes this.
  11. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI Jerry, the cables may just have been crap and ineffective without ice or snow to bite into. That's probably it. But they were tight and properly installed on the front wheels. I did survey the parking lot once i walked there and there were plenty of other cars with the same cables. They are widely sold in the area. I'm learning in this thread I am in the minority on the Pip having enough power. It must me a personal determination. I say not enough power or torque. I can't really say I have had the slingshot experience with my car. Im still happy with it for city driving and that it represents a move to reduce fossil fuel production.

12. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI Sam, yes sir... front tires. I'm only learning now that the Pip has a sensitive traction control. I don't know if that was the cause? I want to try new chains but what happens when it happens if it happens again? I don't want to be the idiot who holds up miles of traffic on a mountain road. Clearly, at least to me, the Pip is a great city car. It was probably never intended to use on mountain roads with chains. I'm still disappointed and scared to try it again. I need to find someone on here who can say yes, they take their Pip up the skin mountain with chains and have no issue.

13. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2014 Pip and have had it since New. I have taken it on road trips but never needed chains until this trip. It has done well enough on hills. Not great on the very steep ones, but i never held up traffic before... I never had to waive the cars by as my tires spun and I went nowhere. I'll look into the gas pedal tricks but I'm not sold on this issue being related to traction control.

14. QuantumFireball

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    If the traction control was interfering, it would be either restricting power to the wheels or applying brakes.

Did the chains match the size specifications in the owner's manual? The manual also recommends re-tightening after driving a short distance (1/4 to 1/2 mile).

15. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I thought it was impossible to spin the Prius tires unless traction control is turned off. If the Prius traction control system detects anything more than the lightest slippage, it quickly slows the vehicle down to approximately 5mph and tries to crawl along. That is what I have observed on our 3 Prius vehicles with original tires driving on snow on a handful of occasions.

What made it feel like you were spinning the tires?
    Could you hear high RPM of tires or motor?

16. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They were the correctly sized chains. And appropriately tight.

17. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI Chazz8, it wasn't a feeling as if the tires were spinning, it was reality. they actually spun and I went nowhere on wet steep blacktop. Yrs high RPMs. And you could smell the friction with the road.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF.....the situation is exactly as you have described it, that is the tires spinning INSIDE the chains, then it is virtually impossible that everything related to the installation of the chains was proper and correct. It is near to impossible for that to happen.

AND.....if someone did not actually witness the tires spinning inside the "chains" it is still possible that traction control is the problem......as it FEELS a lot like the tires are spinning when they actually are not. In many cars, there is a buzzing sound present when the traction control is working; I don't know about a Prius 'cause I've never had mine in that kind of situation.

And a personal note: I lived in the Midwest for about 50 years and never owned chains because if it got that bad I figured that the proper thing to do was to stay off the roads. I understand that situations vary but one of your posts sounds like you won't let a small thing like a killer blizzard disrupt your plans. I may have mis-understood that though. ;)

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well that now sounds like the traction control was not working at all.......and should have been.
    Traction control is specifically designed to prevent you from smoking your tires.......regardless of what the reason.

CatsAreGods and jerrymildred like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    jeep? suburu?