1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tires with Cables Just Spun On BlackTop

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Plug-in Guy, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This guys' video starts on level ground, but he does deal with hills and then a foot of snow in his driveway at the end. It's almost enough to make me head north with mine. He is in a Gen 4, but I don't think there's all that much difference from a Gen 3.

Plug-in Guy likes this.
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a PiP and contrary to others on here, I think it's a the slowest thing I've ever driven. Not really, but it sure feels that way and I came from a Civic, so I'm not exactly used to having ample power. Anyway, I've brought my PiP up to snow at least once every year since I've owned it. It performs as horribly as any FWD vehicle. It slips a little but otherwise gets me to my destination. This year, I had the unfortunate opportunity to install chains. Other years, the PiP soldiered through without them. But as before, it performed on blacktop and snow as badly as any FWD drive vehicle with chains. Press on the peddle a little too hard and the wheel spins. Less than a second later, traction control kicks in and you go forward again in a straight line. The parking lot I drove in had about a foot deep snow and the PiP with chains slalomed through it without issue. I don't expect much from my PiP in snowy conditions and it doesn't provide me any in terms of confidence. However, it works as well as any FWD vehicle I've ever driven in snow.

My take? It's easy to blame the car for not performing well in the snow. See video below: There's nothing wrong with the Jeep. Nothing wrong with the hill either as you can see a Toyota Prius traversed that hill unassisted.

#22 mmmodem, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  3. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh I forgot to type the point of the video. You could've just been stuck in a really bad patch of ice and snow like the Jeep. You can see his 4WD is working perfectly. You can get frustrated like him or learn what to do when stuck.

5. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    HI M, I spun on Wet, Steep, Blacktop. No ice. No snow. At this point I think if there had been snow or ice the cables would have had something to dig into and I wouldn't have had this problem. My deduction: better cables and the Prius needs a lower gear. I obviously did not benefit from the traction control system...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That first sentence makes no sense, given your claim that the tires were spinning INSIDE the chains.
    The second part is true but the question is "WHY?".
    I can't help but think that there is a critical piece of information missing here.

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If Subaru had better gas mileage I would immediately buy an Outback or Forester.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the conundrum, isn't it?

Plug-in Guy likes this.
  9. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It so is the Conundrum. I think I'm going to write Subaru a letter. They must know their audience are also Prius owners. Based on the new Prime I am guessing I don't fit the typical Prius profile because I don't think I will buy one. Ugly, wimpy silly car with no balls. Why can't i have an all wheel drive with my Pip mileage? (((WHY))). Toyota are you monitoring these chats. Get with it. Make me an affordable all wheel drive Small SUV. please... and thank you...

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have to think it's physics, but who knows. have you tried a rav4 hybrid?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the kitchen staff is packing up?

Nice rims...

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have both (a Prius and a Forester), for different applications. E.g. elder care duties require traveling a long rural poorly-groomed road, where clearance is important in winter. Sometimes even a Caterpiller dozer is needed when an F250 with chains on all four gets stuck. Forester obviously can't handle those conditions either, but it gets through many winter conditions when the Prius can't.

This afternoon that road melted out enough that the Prius could handle it, if necessary, for the first time this visit. But I have the Forester this time.
    Prius is already 'geared' from Zero to Infinity. You can't get lower than that. No traditional transmission, manual or automatic, nor even a Subaru CVT, can match it on either end (low or high gear).

B is a no-op in this case. It is useful for some downhills, not uphills.
    That may be true, but it has no connection or relevance to your problem expressed in this thread. If your wheels are spinning on the road surface and breaking traction, your car has plenty of power for that particular situation. More power just spins the wheels faster and creates more noise and smoke.

#32 fuzzy1, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    mmmodem, Raytheeagle and Pasaman like this.
  13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I tried to be subtle and I keep coming back to this thread to see if anyone manages to make OP realize the problem is not the car but him. I'm being blunt now.

14. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Physics? I guess you are answering the initial question? I think it was the cheap cables I used. They would have done okay on the snow and ice, but I was Cables To Steep Wet Asphalt. I'm not a fan of the Rav4. I think it's too low end although it has really improved since the early days. As far as I know the back window does not roll. That would bug me. It's also tough to go from 55MPG (my average) to 34/30 Mpg in the Rav4. I'm going to keep the PIP another year and evaluate when it's paid for then. I'll probably buy a used 4 wheel drive pick for the montains and keep the PIP until I can't get a service agreement. I think that's at 45K. I'm at 30 now.

15. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can't see that the car itself is to blame. I think the chains didn't fit well or were crap or something else.

On the other hand, you really aren't supposed to use chains on pavement. Aren't they designed to roll around the tire somewhat?

#35 MikeDee, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  16. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree the cables were crap but they were the correct size and fitted snuggle around the tires. The tires dis not spin inside the cables. The cabled tires spun in contact with the pavement. Chains were required on this road up the mountain. The incident occurred when I hit a steep spot where the ice and snow had eroded. In retrospect I guess it wasn't the car at all. But that's what I was trying to deduct by posting here. I wanted to hear if anyone else had this issue. Apparently Pip drivers aren't going to the mountains too often. At least not in Winter. I'm going to invest in better chains and probably buy a 2nd used "all wheel" drive for my ski trips.

17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That video takes the bloody cake! Very funny! Thanks for sharing! ...I was waiting for the stupid driver to return with a stick to teach the Jeep a lesson! (...think Basil Fawlty) What a jerk!!!

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you see a significant number of ordinary 2WD vehicles at this particular ski venue? If so, then your PiP should be able to make it too, if adequately equipped (tires, chains and the nut behind the wheel.) But if the crowd there is overwhelmingly 4WD / AWD, then you ought to see some handwriting on the wall.

19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Funny you should ask. Intellectually I agree with you. If other 2Wders are getting up the hill so should my Pip. I get it. I did not see any Pips in the parking lot and I looked. The majority of the cars at Mt. Baldy outside Los Angeles are always 2Wders. I also saw a few 2Wders with the exact same chains I had on. They made it all the way up and I did not. They of course had a lower gear to use. Which we do not have in our Pips. Ultimately I think the chains were cap and not having a lower gear caused the issue. I still love my car and the green message it sends.

bisco likes this.