1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Titanium lug nuts.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Mar 24, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Like you said, it all depends on the particular alloy used. In this application, all three metals would likely be strong enough to do an acceptable job. I'm looking for weight, so Ti wins out over steel. Although there are lighter aluminum lugs, I don't trust them.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having A lug nut fail is hardly a safety hazard.

once about 10 years ago, was out 4 wheeling in an old international. had someone hop out afterwards to turn the hubs and noticed some lug nuts missing... like 10 of em. we drove the 30 miles back to town with some of the wheels having only 4 (of 8?? maybe it was 6... dont remember) lug nuts. needless to say, we tightened the rest of them real good first.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Even three out of five is enough to make it somewhere wihtout the wheel falling off. THis happened with ny dad a while ago. I went to his house and noticed one wheel was missing two lugs. He had no idea how long he'd been driving like that...

I plan on keeping a few spare lugs in the car just in case.

4. cellsorter

cellsorter New Member

Titanum lug nuts..... i had to think about this for a second

Let me start off by saying i make things from titanum that dwell in a human being for years (kinda like a new titanum knee or hip).

Titanum expends a huge amount of energy during the base metal manufacturing process, this is even before a basic shape is cut into the final part.

IF the alloy is 6-aL/V4 it will be as strong if not stronger than a steel lug nut, but serously this is 500% overkill.

To be honest i would feel safer driving on the ole fashon steel lug nuts that have billons of hours of proven safety.

If it is commercialy pure titainum(grade 2 4 or 5) witch is cheaper and easier to cut (think profit) then you would be better off with a lug nut from a 1950s car.

The real question is what alloy are our lug nuts?

Next thing you know people will advocate the blingy spining wheels to give more foward inerta....

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cellsorter @ Mar 30 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]232204[/snapback]</div>
    I was working on orthopedic surgery before I made the switch to law instead.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cellsorter @ Mar 30 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]232204[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I'm not really concerned about that. The lugs are already made, they wouldn't be making them just for me.

I don't know the exact alloy. It likely WON'T be 6Al/4V as it is more difficult to work with. As for being overkill, I'm looking for weight AND strength, which is why I've ruled out aluminum. Anyway, I'd rather have too much strength than not enough.

Titanium lugs are widely used in racing applications, where the punishment is much more severe than on the average road car. There are many, many hours of proven safety here too.

Yes I agree. It is VERY unlikely that they are using commercially pure Ti though. Too soft.

Plain old steel. They had to cut costs somewhere.

I hope not. Now if they lit up and let you post cool messages on them... :p