1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To buy or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Crispynuggets, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Crispynuggets

Crispynuggets New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! First time (potential) Prius owner here. I’m considering buying a 2013 Persona Series with about 165,000 miles on it. At the moment, I don’t know how many of those miles are highway miles, and I haven’t gotten a CarFax yet to check out the known vehicle history. However, I would love some hot takes and advice: is a Prius with approximately 23,500 miles/year on it a red flag for you? What issues should I be looking for and questions should I be asking the dealer? What should I be looking for on the CarFax?

I will be using this car to commute 10-12 miles a few times a month and otherwise for local grocery runs/kid drop offs/occasional road trips.

Bonus! I live in Queens, NY and would love any mechanic recs you might have. Thank you, all!

#1 Crispynuggets, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2020
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No test drive no car fax no buy.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Include "no inspection at a Toyota dealer".

Buying an ~8 year old car with 165K miles is a crap shoot regardless of the make and model.
    Maybe moreso with a hybrid.
    Not something I would consider.

4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the small amount of miles you say you'll be driving it, I would consider getting a non hybrid. Repairs on these cars run very high and you can't make up those costs in fuel savings by not driving it much. Just my opinion.

The Critic likes this.