1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To dealership or not to dealership (Service)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by presspony, Mar 11, 2018.

1. presspony

presspony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells
    Hi all!

I am new to the forum but have had my beautiful 2010 Prius since June 2016 and she is quite plainly the love of my life!

She had everything that I was looking for, like a moon roof, only 72,000 kms, with the cherry on top of the cool solar panel and a back up cam in the rear view mirror.

I love her more than what I thought ever possible with an inanimate object lol. But I did the research and man is she the best investment we have ever made. I call her Priya the Prius because Priya is a pretty name and she is the prettiest car ever!

I have a question about maintenance and services and how important it is to go to the dealership. I have always taken her there because I baby her and I figure since she is hybrid not just anyone can touch her delicate parts!

But we just took her to Toyota for a service maintenance and they gouged us $629 (CAD). It included a break service and replaced the cabin air filter and a hubcap since one of ours went missing. This seems high... nearly $400 of it was in labour.

I am feeling a little shell shocked, they also estimated another $500 for rotors and breaks.

I want to stay with the dealership but not sure if I am being gouged to death and if this is work that can be done by any repair shop.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

#1 presspony, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    RMB likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!

First off, if you're concerned about your location (given the words you put in there), you may want to cover up your licence plate before posting?

Now to the maintenance question. Every once in a while, it can get expensive. Just in the last.... 4 or 5 years, Toyota increased their labour rates. I think it sits around $110/hr or thereabouts so $400 would be a total of 4 hours of labour. (I'd wager half of that is the brake service).

Thankfully the brake service is done every 32,000km (so every two years) and the fluid replacement is every 64,000km (so it's done with every other brake service).

I can give you the break down of my most recent expensive service ($791) for you to compare.

Otherwise, the typical oil change is $50-60 and the typical service is around $250-$300 without the additional service items that come every once in a while. If you want the full schedule, check toyota.ca under the My Toyota then Vehicle Maintenance. Alternatively, look for the green book (Owner's Supplemental Manual) in the glovebox with the rest of your manuals.

Total labour and parts cost
    Maintenance Service: $174.95
    Brake Fluid Service: $98.09
    4-Wheel Brake Service: $89.95
    Engine coolant flush and replacement: $163
    Inverter coolant drain and replace: $102.95

Then some shop supplies and it adds to about $791 including tax. Labour was $476 out of that.

That's pretty much the most expensive one I've had. As you can see, the maintenance service is around $200 (but they try and space out the other items so the bill doesn't look as large. People would rather have smaller differences between their services than a large one then a light one. It's less of s sticker shock and people are less likely to turn down required maintenance if there isn't such a sudden large jump in the total cost).

This was done in 2016 so I'll have the 4-wheel brake service coming up this year, probably my fall service so I'll expect a $300 bill coming up.

Also, brake pads? they should last the life of the car unless the previous owner drove like a taxi driver or a race car driver. We never changed the brake pads on our 2005 Prius and it lasted 245,000km in city driving.

presspony, lumpy95 and WilDavis like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Given that Location, no one can recommend a dealer. (there are a great many questions we can't answer given that location)

I will say my 'local' dealer in Grenada MS, Kirk Toyota, has been very responsive to my needs. if you are within 1500 kms, drop by.

CAD may imply you are in Canada somewhere, That pins you down to 10 million square kms.
    While Ambrose Bierce claimed humans infest the entire habitable Earth and Canada, 80 % of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US.

I grew up getting Canadian TV from both Vancouver and Victoria BC in Bellingham WA and worked a year,1987, in suburban Toronto. (Markham ONT) In case Bellingham is 'local' Hybrid Repair in Bellingham, WA

In 1981 i walked from Mexico toward Canada, but never made it, stopping at the Mount Adams Wilderness, after 155 days and 2550 miles.

If it was me i would try all the dealers within 150 km and any hybrid friendly independents, to find one you value and trust. Without a Location, no one can get more specific.

Edit{Ah, tideland noticed your plate, that narrows you down to 950 thousand square kms, but puts you much farther from my dealer)

#3 JimboPalmer, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    presspony likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @JimboPalmer Considering I grew up in their area, I roughly know where they are.... which is why I advise them to blank the plate.

presspony likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the hints of their location they will primarily get US targeted advice since that is the main clientele here.

presspony likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Come on Jimbo, anyone who lived anywhere near in Bellingham should immediately recognize which province that plate came from. ;)
    I believe enough non-US readers will recognize the plates as relatively nearby to them.

#6 fuzzy1, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    presspony likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many people expect the posted text to communicate the necessary information, especially when the photo is just an attachment..

presspony likes this.
  8. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've never brought my Prius back to a dealer after the day I drove it home from the dealer that sold it to me.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No recalls?

presspony likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How would he know?

presspony likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I honestly had not opened the attachment until others commented on it. When I lived in Bellingham, they had just altered their street plan, so local drivers drove one way on the One Way streets, and Canadians drove the other way. It has been 30 years, I am sure everyone does better now.

presspony likes this.
  12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota sends out recall notices to the owner on file with your state.

presspony likes this.
  13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No. **knock on wood**

presspony likes this.
  14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They know where I live... :eek:

15. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually, Nunyabizness is quite lovely in the off season.

It's much less developed than the neighboring community of Fugetaboutit, and the prices are better.

I vacationed there with my family as a boy. Fond memories! Highly recommend!

16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Nothing like a good bit of sarcasm in the evening:).

presspony likes this.
  17. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This! +10.

The stealer I bought mine from has so far sent me over 30 mailers to try to lure me back. I had them replace the auxiliary battery under warranty, declined their free "touch free" car wash and haven't gone back since. I do my own maintenance. Repairs may be a different story, but my intention is to avoid them.

presspony likes this.
  18. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nunyabizness is never "off season." Why? That is nunyabizness. So fugetaboutit.

presspony and Merkey like this.
  19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm due for my 3 year service on my 2015, just got a coupon for a $19.99 synthetic oil change from my dealer.......so tempting lol

RMB and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. William Redoubt

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "synthetic oil" even mean? Used oil from the recycling bin with a single drop of synthetic oil in it?

I remember a girl from college that carefully changed the oil in her Plymouth Duster every 3000 miles. Her method came to light one day when I was with her and she asked a service station attendant to check the oil. He said it was a little low, did she want him to add some? She said she did, but she would have to go somewhere else to have it done. The last time she had added oil it was Texaco brand, and we were at a Texaco station. She thought for a while and said that maybe changing to Shell this time was a good move since she never remembered using that brand. That car didn't last long ...

presspony likes this.