1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To EV or Not to EV. That is the question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Blue-Adept, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given what you guys said, then Toyota is in a weird position. True, anything that damages the vehicle will void the warranty but then, we're using their own feature so.....?

2. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Yes, it all sounds supiciously like a cop out.

We get the EV switch as standard and I thought that it would come in handy for all sorts of things. In reality, I have not found any real use to put it to, other than to "impress" someone with how quiet the car is.

3. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"78241)</div>
    The reason Toyota warranties the batteries (along with the entire Hybrid system) longer in California than in the rest of the nation is that California law states that all emission control devices must be warrantied to certain mileage / times. California considers the Hybrid system (including battery) to be an emission control system. If they wouldn't warranty it to the minimum required by CA, they could not sell the car here. CA law also states that any unauthorized change to the emission control system is illegal. That gives Toyota a very strong case for voiding the warranty.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brent\";p=\"78318)</div>
    Interesting for Californians. Possibly not so interesting elsewhere.

It'd be a case of how much money an individual could throw at a court battle, as opposed to paying to have the car fixed when the warranty is no good. If one assumes up-front that Toyota already has court decisions up its sleeve that say that yes, we can tell these people here that a function we built into the car is OK to use but those people there can't activate it themselves, then one could cave in to Toyota's will.

Or, one could wait until something goes wrong, and if that something has NOTHING to do with an EV mod yet Toyota decides that it does and voids the warranty, sue them.

Any preemptive move on Toyota's part, where they would collect mod-detecting techniques and have dealers identify modded cars during service calls and send warranty cancellation letters, would probably develop enough bad press for Toyota to not make it worth their while. So they'd probably rely on hit-and-miss cancellation and hope nobody affected has deep pockets.

I would *really* like to know what makes Toyota so touchy: it's like they know something about EV that they aren't going to tell the EV-enabled users and don't want to see come up in their US cars. Anybody asked them about auto-locking door mods yet?...

BTW, given that Toyota used to collect data from this site and nobody says they stopped, I hope they do realize they had better pick their fights carefully...

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly don't think this is a big issue for Toyota, per se. I think it's more or less a preemptive effort on their part to show that they are doing everything they can to comply with the Clean Air Act.

It's widely speculated and likely true that having the EV button...a means to alter the 'normal operation of the can and emissions system' would have created huge delays in approval for the US market and thus it was felt to be a simpler solution to leave it off completely. This way they avoid the red tape and time delays of getting the car to the US market.

Now, if they seemed to support or encourage the use of EV buttons in the US they could, potentially, get into hot water with the EPA for providing a means to 'circumvent' the regulations. So, if they say "We don't think you should do it, we'll void your warranty, etc" they're showing the EPA that they are not the ones responsible...go after the owners if you want to make an issue of it!

I'm not sure why this continues to be such a contentious issue.

1)Toyota doesn't emply detectives out on patrol looking under your hood for 'unapproved mods' for which they'll put a Scarlet Letter "M" on your hood.

2)Local techs are more or less unlikely to look for these things without good reason to look for them...Why would they..extra work. They aren't going to get a bounty if they find it.

3)If you do need warranty work, and your car is, otherwise, still under warranty the local dealer will get paid for the warranty work...there is no advantage to them to report you unless there's some overt reason. If it's clear that something you did caused the problem I think they're more-or-less honor bound to report to Toyota and refuse your warranty work, but unless that's the case they have little or no cause to go looking for it.

4)Finally, if you're worried about it don't do it!! It isn't necessary. Provides very little discernable advantages and has potential disadvantages. Some of us considered those points and chose to do it. Others have decide the opposite. Live and let live.

6. Brent

Brent New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"78354)</div>
    Interesting for Californians. Possibly not so interesting elsewhere.
    [/b][/quote]

Actually, I found this in regard to FEDERAL emissions control warranties:

What Reasons Can the Manufacturer Use to Deny a Warranty Claim?

If your vehicle is within the age and mileage limits for the
    applicable emissions warranty, the manufacturer can only deny coverage
    if evidence shows that you have failed to properly maintain and use
    your vehicle, causing the part or emission test failure. Some
    examples of misuse and malmaintenance include the following:

* vehicle abuse such as off-road driving or overloading; or

* tampering with emission control parts or systems, including
    removal or intentional damage of such parts or systems; or

* improper maintenance, including failure to follow maintenance
    schedules and instructions specified by manufacturer, or use of
    replacement parts which are not equivalent to the originally
    installed parts.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting that Brent.

I think a key thing is that this is in regards to Emissions Control Warranties. Thus, They're going to have to determine if the EV button damaged something related to Emissions 'controls'....if so it does, indeed, seem they could deny you warranty service for those parts. But, if not part of the emissions control system I still think they can not touch the warranty.

Now, if the entire HSD system is considered part of the emissions control and not just the CAT and muffler or related controls then things will get tough. But still, 1)A problem has to occur with that system (unlikely), 2) someone's gotta find the button and 3)connect it to the problem and 4) be worried enough to say something about it.

I'll continue to take those chances. Others may choose otherwise.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brent\";p=\"78376)</div>
    Thanks for the highlight.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book...ry&va=tampering

Then Toyota will have to explain why an option they provide outside of the US weakens or changes for the worse the emission control system. If I would be tampering, so would they. Perhaps they can explain that to their other customers?

Of course, Toyota could redefine 'tampering' to suit their needs, but I'll stick with my definition for now...

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's one other possibility. The US may not get the EV button, but they get a longer battery warranty than the rest of the world (at least in some states). Removing the EV button may well have been a material part of Toyota being able to provide that warranty.

If that's true, then if a US owner's battery failed after 9 years and they'd fitted an EV button, I think Toyota might well feel within their rights to refuse replacement under warranty.

(Oops, this has already been covered...) :oops:

10. Brent

Brent New Member

Your post nicely summarizes my fears about installing the EV switch. I guess that we all need to do what makes us happy, but be aware that some mods may carry a future price should certain unlikley, unanticipated failures occur.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The same wear and tear on battery could be achieved by letting the car sit idle until battery gets down to 2 bars, where ICE kicks in. That is the extent of 'damage' EV switch could do.

As for CARB, EV would at worst do nothing, and at best actually improve it.

Although Toyota's language on their EV disclaimer appears to include simply having the EV switch, I do believe they were targetting mods like Prius+, where battery capacity and control were enhanced.

13. Brent

Brent New Member

CARB, or the California Air Resources Board, doesn't really care one way or the other about the warranty. What they care about is whether an alteration of an approved emissions control system (such as they consider the Hybrid system to be on the Prius) has been approved (by them, of course) or not. The EV switch in question does not appear to have CARB approval. This, in itself, makes the addition of the EV switch technically illegal (at least in the state of California). My guess is that Toyota may grab on to that "illegality" as a way of voiding a warranty if a battery or control system goes south. It may not be right or fair, but I am not about to place my faith in an automobile manufacturer doing what is right if it means they have to spend a few bucks.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, hypothetical situation.

Your battery died and is under warranty. Toyota says the cause of the battery's death is multiple "full" charge/discharge cycles. They can't prove it's the EV mod's fault otherwise that would be saying that it's their computer program that controls the EV mode that's at fault and hence will be covered under warranty. So given that, I think I will still be leaning towards getting that mod. Besides, it's the same as changing the light switch in your house, then the circuit breaks and the builders telling you it's b/c of your damn switch and not their circuit :roll:

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah.. except EV is a mode.. so oh.. full charges and discharges past the normal operating range.. oh wait.. this car has entered and exited EV mode a lot.

either way.. when i get cash, i'm getting it.. if they catch me.. o well.. looks like i'll have to pay for my own battery in the long run. so far i've almost saved that much in fuel anyways

16. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what about using Toyota's own part? Japan Parts EV Switch

I am not too worried about warranty problems. Warranties can not be cancelled. Only specific repairs of items that Toyota can prove were caused by the mod. Federal laws were passed years ago to protect accessory manufacturers and service shops. Otherwise they could void your warranty for getting an oil change somewhere else or putting on an aftermarket exhaust. And even though CA laws are strict, they would never find this mod under smog testing. And the first test is 6 years from purchase for a new vehicle. So then just remove it and get smogged. Also, under Fed warranty laws, the burden of proof lies upon the Auto maker. Now, would I want to fight them in court or deal with them in any legal realm? No! But I would just remove the switch before a repair anyway.

I am planning on adding a computer to the car for MP3 and mapping with my GPS. I hope they don't void my warranty for that too. :D

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to add the Mac mini :) Stock EV switch would be cool. Maybe i'll buy it later this month. I'll have to read again how to hook it up.

18. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, a Mac Mini, that way Toyota can't find it, and if they did won't know what the heck it is.

19. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's weaselly lawyer-talk. Yes, the EV button can't cause wear-and-tear that could be caused other ways, but for a given driver with a typical driving pattern, the EV button is likely to increase the depth of charge/discharge cycles, together with the load placed on the battery. Certainly in my case I only see 2 pink bars when I've been using EV mode; in my basically flat area the car otherwise would never let it get that low itself.

For warranty coverage, they're going to be concerned about anything that increases their likely payout. With all other factors throughout the population remaining equal, the addition of an EV button may do that.

Technically speaking, I don't know how much increased charge/discharge cycle depth affects the battery. It appears to be widely acknowledged that Toyota limited the range to 40%-80% to improve battery life, and the car tries to keep it within 50%-70% or so. With the EV button, you're liable to push it lower than 50% more often. I don't know how much that's significant, but I'm sure it is to some extent.

20. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Seems to me if Toyota wants to void the warranty for EV buttons, they must also do so for everyone that runs out of gas, or drives with the car in neutral. Or lives in too mountanous terrain. Or drives too much in Reverse. These all do far more "wear and tear" on the battery.