1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Fix ... or Not To Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 2to4, Feb 14, 2010.

1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks again Mad-Dog, sounds as if my concerns may have been groundless. I will still wait a while, but if there are other reports such as yours I will go ahead with it also.

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The next time you bring the car in for service, their system will identify your car as part of the recall. When I took my car in, and they entered the VIN, the system automatically displayed the recall.

With every car I've owned in past memory, when they start the service check in process, their system lists all recalls and campaigns outstanding based on your VIN.

3. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's really no downside as I see it to getting it done ASAP. Do you need to take off a day from work? No, but you should schedule a time to have it done when there are not already 20 cars ahead of you in the service bay.

I've noticed no difference in my MPG or regen-braking since having it done. I never noticed a problem before the fix either, but that's another story.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A bit alarmist considering how uncommon the "problem" is, but that could be the culprit behind the four accidents being suspected to be caused by the brake issue. People blaming their own faults (going too fast, not paying attention or stopping in time when rear-ending) on the brake issue. It's a very convenient scapegoat.

5. NovaStu

NovaStu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I love my car and all the hyperbole about the recalls has not shaken my satisfaction with it. I'll wait until my next service to have the software update done, however, I hilighted the words above...

Don't lose sight of the fact that in today's highly computerized cars a software glitch can have an equal (or even greater) impact than a failure of a piece of hardware. And oftentimes even harder to identify.

Tell the pilot who flies into a mountain because the sofware in his GPS or ILS had a bug which miscalculated his position that he just needed a software upgrade to have avoided the accident.

Stu