1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To fix up or trade in. Should I fix up my 2004 with 140k? Should I replace the hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by labumm, Feb 12, 2018.

1. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Should I fix up my 2004 with 140k? Should I replace the hybrid battery?

I have not been driving it cross country any more because we have a 2016 Prius. I had been planning to trade the 2004 for a plug-in, but I'm not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense because I walk to work and only drive the 2004 for local errands. The 2004 has been pretty reliable so far, the only real problem now is the combination meter and it needs exhaust work. So I am considering keeping it and fixing it up: combination meter, exhaust, and new tires.

The hybrid battery is original. It seems to be working fine, although the car does not seem to be as peppy as it used to be. The charge graphic still shows it charges and discharges, but I'm not sure how diagnostic that really is. Am I just lucky? Replacing the battery looks pretty simple, but do I need to and would there be any benefit?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I believe @Texas Hybrid Batteries repairs combo meters.
    @TMR-JWAP or @ericbecky could help you determine the state of the hybrid battery. Assuming you are in the continental US the most economical DIY solution is the kit of new cells from @2k1Toaster for $1600 shipped with a 2 year warranty. Details are in my signature but they are backordered until April due to popularity.

3. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Let it go.. If you like GenII there are 2008/2009 in market at much lower price now.. Prius monopoly seems to be fading away very fast and used PrII prices are coming down to earth...

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're not putting enough miles on the 04 to justify insurance costs, then I'd sell it privately, but the fact that you're thinking on trading it in on another new car leads me to believe that you're not especially worried about money.

Your call.

I would NEVER trade a car in on another car.
    If you think that you need to scratch the PHEV itch, then fix the items that need immediate attention (tires, exhaust) and leave replacing the traction battery for the next owner or when it fails. I would then sell the car privately.....maybe even in this forum.
    TIME is your greatest asset for this issue, and you can use it to save a little money in this case, although a 14-year-old car is probably 3/4 of the way through its service life - and so we're not talking about a lot of money for somebody who has a 2016 in the garage and is salivating over a 2018.
    Me?
    I'd keep the 04, but then again $1000 means a lot more to me than it might to you, and that represents my estimation of how much you could save in selling rather than trading a car in.....in this case.

"Peppy" isn't the tell of the tape for Prius health, but rather fuel efficiency is.
    If your MPGs start dropping off, then it's time to look into your car's health, and chances are it will not even then be traction battery related.
    Those batteries are getting to be fairly cheap, remanufactured and they're very easy to replace.
    I would not worry about it until I had to.

Good Luck!
    Let us know what you decide.

labumm likes this.
  5. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'd fix the issues if cheap to repair, and then sell private party. Trading in tends to eat 1-2k of the value. If your time is worth more then that, then trade it in, and get what you want :)

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am of the opinion that the big ticket items like cars should be used till they drop. That is the sane environmental approach. By using the car till its last mile you are not creating demand for a new car to replace it. This really makes a difference in reducing your footprint on this planet. If a car like a Prius was actually designed to run for 300K and more than 15 years, then that's a very good thing. Fixing the minor problems is not that big a deal and requires relatively little impact on your wallet and environment. Fight the urge to get the lates consumer gadget/car and you are halfway there to setting an example to the next generation of people, hopefully. There are so many other things you could spend the money and energy on than a shiny new car which would do exactly what your '04 does. Gets you from place to place in relative comfort. Just my opinion. I am not an environmental nazi, just have this world view, is all. Do what you want, obviously.

labumm and strawbrad like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fix and keep, 2004 is a beast.

labumm and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This sounds similar to me so I suggest that you look at used plug-in's, they are a tremendous value right now.

labumm likes this.
  9. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What would the trade in value be?

If the OP doesn't know, one way to get an estimate would be to drive it to a local Carmax and see what they would offer.

labumm likes this.
  10. golfmk681

golfmk681 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it have side airbags LOL I'll buy it. Depending on the price. I'm in the market for a cheap prius for commuting purposes. Prefer to deal with forum guys than CL.

labumm likes this.
  11. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't think there is a trade in value for this 2004. I would CL it for $1K-2K depending on where you at in US. There are more suckers like you and me once were wanting to jump in to hybrid lifestyle that are looking for challenges that go along with owning hybrid vehicle.

Or have a project and convert it to small pickup truck with rear-bumper sticker indicating "Small truck big prius".. Note, this is my original and no one should take credit for it.

labumm likes this.
  12. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid demo derby looks fun. Apparently the Prius is a beast!

labumm likes this.