1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To jump or not to jump....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Jun 28, 2010.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, went for the test drive. The salesman was all over "did you notice the big jump in power?". NO. It's not much more powerful. The car had only 400 km on it, so it wasn't broken in, and it had been sitting in the sun. So that could easily account for the lack of "more power". I found the dash much cooler than the MFD, easier to "watch". I especially liked the steering wheel switch indications on the dash. It was a "Premium Package with Solar Panels" that they gave us to test drive, I think. I didn't notice a GPS. Didn't look at the wheels, but they had to be 15" with the moonroof. It was dark blue. Very dark blue. Didn't notice the better handling, but we were driving in traffic in the city. Salesman didn't come, didn't get my license, but did know me from previous purchase, so that was good enough I guess. The car "felt" larger, I guess due to more visible interior plastic around the front windshield. Speed was deceptive, even more so than with Pearl. I had to watch the speedo to avoid speeding. When we went to see the "prototype" last year we got the impression it was more cramped in the front due to the dash to console extension. When driving it that was not the impression at all.
    I guess my best description would be "more of the same".

Nice car. Not worth paying whatever to "trade up" a three year old car though. Guess I'm getting cheap in my old age. ;) My friend was impressed. He may buy one and dump his mini-van (Chrysler).

You have to be careful in price comparisons. For example, Toyota says "the 2010 is the same as your car re options", but then they sneak in the one door SKS system instead of the three door, and charge much more for the three door due to packaging other things into the car.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3-dr SKS is on every car except the base model, just like the 2nd Gen. Now the base model gains 1-dr SKS vs. no SKS at all. It's slightly better that way (esp. with the backup camera thrown in without having to pay for the nav system) than the US packaging which requires a huge jump to level IV (US$4k vs. Cdn$2k for the premium package). Compare the Premium Package to your Pkg "B".

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    instead of raising the price of a candybar, they reduced the size, hoping you wouldn't notice. but i noticed. oh, i noticed.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot imagine keeping a car only three years. I consider my '04 Prius nicely broken in, and our '96 Subaru middle-aged.