1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Nav or not to Nav.. that is the question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by windstrings, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know where I am, how I'm going to get there, what the options are along the way and I dont ever have to worry about this stuff in the future. Having said that the Honda system is much easier than the Toyota system.

Just nav baby nav.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    With a face like yours, what's not to like? :wub:

3. hafwrite

hafwrite New Member

I got the Nav system - basically, it's part of the package and I wanted the other stuff. Also, I look at it like this - I love bells and whistles and if I didn't get it then I'd probably regret it down the road.

I have to say that some of the bits of the Nav system are not really obvious and I had to pull out the quick-reference guide to figure it out (IMO, I shouldn't have to do this with a touch-screen system). But, once I got it figured out it seems pretty simple.

Like you, I drive this to and from work and I know how to get there. But, I used it just the other day to get to the Post Office (I did not know where it was) and it made the trip a breeze. No scanning for road signs, no trying to read directions while driving. Very helpful.

And yes, a big boost for re-sale value.

My one concern - do they update the data CD? Is it free? And, will they update the software down the road (incorporating traffic info, for example)?

- HAF

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Interestingly, I had better luck finding a place on my built-in NAV system than Mapquest or Yahoo Maps (Google was correct). When I get direction to go from San Diego to Sonic in Anaheim (hey, there are none in San Diego), Mapquest and Yahoo Maps both have me drive past the place, turn right after 1/2 mile and then into a warren of residential streets. Google Maps and the NAV system took me right there.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They will update the data DVD, but it's not free. The '04s (at least some) did get a free update, but it'll cost for the most part.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The cost is something like $300 to update, so it will be a few years before I do that.

The maps change, but more significant for me is the obsolescence of the POI database. Being accurately guided to a store that has changed into something else is not helpful. I call if there is any doubt and the trip length is long.

I wish we could crack the POI database format, and add out own...

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :huh:

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not a good one to answer.. but if you know someone else with the update disk.. I suppose you could borrow it...
    But yes they have updates and they do cost... I don't know how much.. I don't think much though and unless you need the nitty gritty details.. you really don't need to update more than every 5 years or so...
    If you are a postman.. I would update every year..but the normal Joe, then much less...

9. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Have you explored the Route Preference screen and enabled the "Time Restricted" roadway option? That might solve your route preference right there. You can also enable/disable freeways, ferrys, toll roads, etc.

10. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Too "frugal" here - after all I'm only at GY (but with side curtain air bags). I do like the name "Dora" through for the car with it B)

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had the iQue by Garmin for a year before I got my Prius with the Nav. Though they are different they are similar. When you are out of your home area it can be a live saver. Well maybe that is over the top but it does get you around. I really like both Nav's I use the Prius locally and the iQue when I am away from home. Never leave home with out a Nav!!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    have to echo a lot of what has already been said... now i dont have factory nav. i have a laptop setup which provides similiar service, not as conveinient (smaller laptop would have been better) but its use has shown me that it has its benefits.

even in areas i thought i knew very well, i have discovered better ways to get around. it has also shown me things i did not know were there. my benefits... well not really cheaper if you dont have a laptop, but if you do, my portable GPS was $189 and the mapping program was $40. so updates will be cheap.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thats quite ok... you can use that money to hopefully get more enjoyment for yourself or someone else... :D

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

What the "time restricted" thing?

15. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The Prius NAV system lets you set preferences for the types of roads you use. One of the users above mentioned an annoyance that the Prius wouldn't use the time-restricted roadways and avoided them altogether. I was trying to point out that there is a setting that will tell the Prius to route on these roads when they're available.

You can set your preferences to use or avoid:
    - Freeways
    - Toll roads
    - Ferrys
    - Time restricted roads (as the poster above mentioned)
    and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head. The default has it set to using freeways and avoiding all the others (except for surface streets, which are always used when necessary).

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Sounds quite interesting!.. I can't wait to see how lost i can get!

17. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Toyota offers traffic info in the NAV . . . in Japan!

What I want is a NAV with a 3-D map, which can use 3-D GPS data, to anticipate hills and valleys to manage the Drive Control (can't call it cruise control at this level) to improve milage. Increase the speed to the top of the Drive Delta before the hill, apply regen braking down the other side.

Just a little more effort and the car can drive itself...

18. JeffHart

JeffHart New Member

I tried that early on and it didn't make a difference, maybe it just doesn't seem the obvious route. The park has limited access, time restrictions - one way in alternate directions during rush hour in the lower section of the park and the upper section is closed to motor vehicles completely over the weekend.

However, it is a great route if you live nearby and very scenic. There is some concern that emissions aren't good for the park, but with the Prius I have no hesitation. Generally run in stealth for more than 50% if I start out with a good charge.

Cheers,
    Jeff

19. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

How about one that would tap into Googles "keyhole" database to see 3d sattellite images and do a hybrid overlay to see streets etc superimposed over the top like you can get on the web?

20. BrianTheDog

BrianTheDog New Member

Cool idea! Love those Google sat-maps.

BTW, is it "ee-gore" or "eye-gore"?

:D