1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Scanguage or Not to Scanguage?????

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TNGator, Dec 31, 2012.

1. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thinking about buying a scanguage to help me better understand how to get the most mpg's out of my 2012 prius. My question is: Do I really need one? Anyone regret buying one? If not, how has it helped you?

2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have an Android - there's an app called Torque that can help which could be a cheaper solution.

ScangaugeII is a useful tool when hypermiling because it gives the driver a finer level of feedback needed to tweak/ fine-tuning the accelerator pressure levels and the battery's state-of-charge.

If you are doing grill blocking in the winter - a ScangaugeII is useful for monitoring the coolant temperatures.

If you are not trying to be an expert hypermiler - you can get by with watching some of the online videos posted on the Priuschat.com forum on fuel economy which uses just using the Prius' HSI display.

Agent J and TNGator like this.
  3. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have both the ScanGauge and the cheaper Ultra Gauge. After running both I like the more expensive ScanGauge the best. It tends to be much more accurate than my Ultra Gauge. Both have lots of information that is useful in trying to improve mileage. Right now I am monitoring the RPM, engine Temp, Instant MPG, and voltage. Worth the money if trying to maximize mileage or just want to watch what is going on.
    Dan

TNGator likes this.
  4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The better you can understand such things as coolant temperatures during warmup stages, the relationship of the MG and ICE torques, the power flows between battery and MG's, battery temps, etc. the more you will be able to understand how to improve mpg

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That is what I meant to say.

6. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds interesting and complicated. Thanks for the advice...

7. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have one and use it every time I drive my car. I currently monitor engine temp, instant mpg, average trip mpg and RPM. I also disabled the backup/seat belt beep.

8. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the Ultraguage instead, it's much cheaper in price and does a lot of the same things as the Scanguage. Looks better and matches the dash better, it also has a larger read out display. Just my two cents worth no need to start a guage flame.

9. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How do you attach it to the dash?

10. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct about the Ultra Gauge. I just can't bring myself to get rid of mine, yet. It is a bit more complicated than the ScanGauge. I also found that mine was not as accurate as the ScanGauge. I suppose I just did not have it set up properly though. When my ScanGauge says I have .8 gallons remaining in the tank, that is what is in there. If the ScanGauge says I am getting 50 mpg, instant, that is what it is getting. The Ultra Gauge is more liberal. As stated, I don't think I had the Ultra Gauge set up to be accurate and the reason for that, it is a bit complicated. I think the Ultra Gauge is best product for the buck but the ScanGauge is what I like using.
    Dan

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I settled on 4 gauges with ours, after flip-flopping through what's in there, initially. Pretty mundane, but works for me. Basically filling in the gaps in the Prius instrumentation. They're:

1. Accumulating mpg (since start-up)
    2. Instant mpg
    3. RPM
    4. Coolant Temp

They're all helpful for me. I know I could be using a lot more of it's resources. Maybe down the road. ;)

12. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good Velcro on back of Ultra Gauge. Lesser sticky velcro on bottom of ScanGauge. UG is just above the steering column and the SG is mounted on the column.
    Dan

TNGator likes this.
  13. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TNGator and WD0AFQ like this.
  14. TNGator

TNGator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Fore! Cool website.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With ScanGage I put loops of masking tape (DIY double sided tape) on the underside, and pressed it down onto the dash, a bit beyond the steering wheel. This was meant to be temporary, but 1 year plus later, the method is working; I never switched over to the included velcro. Hasn't left any residue when I pull it off occasionaly. Maybe twice I've put new tape on. Likely woudn't work if you've used ArmorAll or similar on the dash.

16. graham hendren

graham hendren Geeman .. taximan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so can you tell me how you disabled the seat belt beeper? iv looked into this and can not find one with this function? can ti=ou tell me the make and model and how you went about it pretty please i need mine of the dogs sending me round the bend please help me

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always wanted Scangauge, but couldn't justify the price having a wired interface to read codes already.
    I just invested $15 for Bluetooth ELM interface and $5 Torque app for android and I'm more than pleased with the results. The only thing is tablet is not something you want to look at while driving.
    I haven't disabled the reverse beep as I consider it a safety thing, but I wish it could be made softer.

18. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No; you don't NEED a Scangauge, but if you like data, you'll really like the Scangauge.

WD0AFQ likes this.
  19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yup. It's a very nice educational instrument, but not by any means necessary.

If you ever have a family member or friend that suddenly finds themself starring at a engine-light, you can save the day by reading the code. That relieves some anxiety, giving them a heads up on what's really the problem. That easily helps justify the purchase. So far for me, I've done that 6 times now.

What I find most informative is the coolant temperature, since knowing when the engine will shut off or turn back on is really handy.

Chazz8 likes this.
  20. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Amen