1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To shop for our next used Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Donald Cook, Feb 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Donald Cook

Donald Cook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have two, a Gen 1 (150,000 miles) and a Gen 2 (240,000 Miles). In the next year we will likely replace one of them.

I find my best luck with used cars is to buy the top model. But models with Priuses seem to be obscure, with owners not even aware which model they own. I am keen to get the radar-equipped option on our next car, as it takes a great deal of workload off the driver, but have no idea how to tell from an ad what car I’m looking at.

Is there a site somewhere that shows past-year models so I can narrow down which ones to even entertain? I will be spending $12,000-$18,000.

Thanks.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try here. Auto-Brochures.com|Toyota Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info 4Runner 86 Avalon Camry Celica, CH-R, Corolla Corona Echo FJ Cruiser Highlander Land Cruiser Mark II Matrix Mirai MR2 Prius RAV4 Sequoia Sienna Solara Supra Tacoma Tundra Venza Yaris. The various Prius models are in the right column starting on the top. At least they are in that place at the moment on my screen. Probably not the same place on a mobile device. ;)

krmcg likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IIRC, you'll need Gen 4 cars equipped with the safety package to get ACC (adaptive cruise control). The easiest way I know is to either A) use the VIN to check here:Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners to see what the vehicle came equipped with or B) look at the right side of the steering wheel for the ACC and LKAS buttons.

You can find fairly low miles 2018's with safety pkg 2 now in that price range (that's what I got) and older 16-17 in higher trims with that package. That package is now standard equipment starting in 2019 (?) I think. IIRC, all primes (the plug-in model) come with ACC but nothing in that price range yet. STAY AWAY from salvage titles which many of the low price examples tend to be.

GOOD LUCK shopping!

krmcg likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota brought the Prius trim levels into-line with their other vehicles, in 2019. I believe that makes it easier to compare, especially if you are aware of their other vehicles.

Now, there are L-eco, XLE, and Limited trims, instead of the One through Five. There are also fewer optional "packages." I believe the only two are the "Advanced Technology Package" and the "Premium Convenience Package." The latter is the moonroof and one-piece alloys (see my avatar photo). The technology package is standard on the Limited, and available on the XLE, and includes the 11.6" screen and other things you might or might not use.

There is also the AWD version, which is only available in LE and XLE trims. There is no option for a moonroof with AWD (weight issues, I would guess).

For older models, if you have a VIN number, you can put that in at the Toyota Owner site, to see what the vehicle has; sometimes the listed trim level (in the numbered trim lines) has been incorrect.