1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To tamper or not with charge cord?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by lewisjohn, Sep 6, 2017.

1. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. Situation is that I will need to charge using domestic socket with a cable of 75 feet. I have the standard issue 16 foot toyota car to domestic charging cable with ccid. Which is the better option?
    1. Remove the short cable coming out of the ccid that leads to the domestic plug and replace with 75 foot 15A (original seems to be 15 gauge, not sure it will fit the ccid connector if any thicker)
    2. Leave the original charging cable intact and simply get a 75 foot 15A extension cable to plug it into, maybe 12 gauge (i cant take advantage of the length of the cable leading from ccid to car to shorten the extension as the ccid would obstruct a walkway)
    I have taken on board most if not all of the wise suggestions from forum members previously about safety but dont recall having seen these specific alternatives posed. Thoughts appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

an extension cord would be simplest, and do the same job, provided the connections are beefy enough.
    what you need to do is simulate the house wiring that would be required to install a plug 75' away. so, for instance, if 12 gauge would work, you then need to translate that into a 75' extension cord, keeping in mind that house wiring is solid copper, and extensions are stranded, which require a lower (thicker) gauge.
    if i'm not mistaken, your standard evse is 240 volts?

lewisjohn likes this.
  3. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I would be concerned about using an extension lead of that length with a sustained load - even with a 10m extension lead I notice the plug (at the mains socket - we use the same BS1363 stuff as in the UK) gets quite hot.

And also I've never seen a 15A extension lead - anything I've seen is only rated for 10A, and a BS1363 plug is only good for 13A anyway. Or are you talking about something designed for 16A IEC 60309 (Commando) plugs?

bisco and lewisjohn like this.
  4. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I would use 10 gage wire, any heat would dissipate in the cord, you would need to wire your own sockets to each end using beefy plugs

fotomoto likes this.
  5. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi lewisjohn, you don't mention this as an option, but I'd say that the best option is to install a new GFCI electrical socket within 15 feet of where you will charge the car. That is what I did for our 2015. That option avoids the extension cord and prevents altering the CCID. If you are proficient with home electrical wiring, it isn't a hard task. Of course, you could pay an electrician to do it, also.

6. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it's 240 (or nowadays 230 volts).

In the UK you have a choice of 1.5mm (14-15 gauge) or 2.5mm cable (c.10 gauge) or up. I have asked 3 professional electricians who start off recommending 2.5mm with 16A commando plug cable. I explain that I am not allowed to alter the sockets on my rented house or extend the wiring outdoors and then they are driving away or keen to get off the phone because I am not buying a $700 installation from them. Ok, one did say a 1.5mm extension cable leading from a 13A plug should be ok before disappearing.

So, something else occurred: buying a16A 2.5mm 75' robust commando cable and using adapters at both ends for commando to three pin plug and commando to three pin socket.

Question is whether this just creates potential heat effects or inefficiencies around the connections and whether to reduce this at the car end, it might be possible to run the cable straight into the charger's CCID by removing the present one that ends in the 3 pin 13A plug: after all there would still be a 13A fuse at the domestic end. But cable could be physically too thick to insert into the CCID connector plug entry point?

I imagine there are sound objections to each idea!

bisco likes this.
  7. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks good to be on board by the way.

bisco likes this.
  8. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input - you are right re: Commando plugs. I have been learning a lot in the last few days. Please see my first reply (to bisco) for a fuller response...

QuantumFireball likes this.
  9. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - sadly I think the maximum cable size that any (UK) three pin socket can take is 1.5mm (14 or 15 gauge). You have to jump to commando plugs for thicker. And commando plugs mean adapters or installing a commando socket running from the house circuit which I think has regulatory issues (and I can't do in any event because its rented - fuller picture in my first reply, to bisco)...

10. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input. It would indeed be the perfect solution. Unfortunately I can't make alterations to the house electricals - I explain some more in the first reply, to bisco

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it were me, i'd get the specs for house wiring. (we call it romex) i would wire up a plug at one end, and a weather proof box at the other. it's not as flexible, but not unwieldy.

lewisjohn likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would work, but romex is not very resistant to abrasion, so not a good plan in the long run. S.O. cord would cost more, but be much more durable. something like this.

lewisjohn and bisco like this.
  13. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    You may be better off asking on some UK forums (e.g. Toyota Prius Club - Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum) as wiring standards are too different in the US.

You can certainly change the plug on the charger - when I got my car (used), the previous owner had fitted a Commando plug on the original lead. I changed it back to a normal 13A plug.

lewisjohn, bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  14. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks - ended up getting some sturdy rubber cable here:
    Heavy duty single socket extension leads

Not illegal as such but flies in the face of local safety standards here simply because the cable is a bit too wide to enter the standard 13A domestic socket and plug. But it avoids having adapters and therefore lower gauge wire at either end of the cable.

Also got the weather proof box as recommended above. First charge was a success - 2hrs long and plug was warm but nothing notable.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

lewisjohn likes this.
  16. lewisjohn

lewisjohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks I actually asked on SpeakEV too and got some good advice. When I can alter house wiring, if I don't get a dedicated charger I will probably get a commando style socket so will be doing that to the end of the charging cable too.

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good. Since your voltage is double ours, 13 amps should be plenty of safety margin.

18. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Running at 230v the max draw is around 10 amps I would stick to a 2.5mm lead something outdoor rated though an electrician will probably recommend 4.0mm SWA cable the commando sockets are a good idea, any volt drop due to length of run will just make charging a little slower but it will still be much quicker than all the 110v charging.