1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To v or not to v ... THAT is the question...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's the case, I'd just go with the standard Prius Three. It's still $2-3k cheaper than the v Three and with better mpg. It's just that a v has a nicer highway ride because of a higher seating position and longer wheelbase but that's not to say the Prius Liftback is horrid (I've done road trips every year across the Rockies since I bought it).

2. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh ... how I hope 0% financing still "exists" when I'm ready to buy a PiP - OR whatever vehicle seems best suited to my wants / needs - in about 22 months!!!

3. Mx5

Mx5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had driven both and liked the way the hatchback drives more, But my wife thought that we needed the space. However, when looking at tha back of the hatchback we can not see a need for more space at least 50 weeks out of the year.

Vacations may be a little tight, but I think that we can make it work, if not we could rent a car with the money we saved and put the milage on the rental.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Some people get both. Problem solved! :)

[​IMG]

5. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the rub;

6. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It was only a matter of time ... nice one Silver Bullit...lmao.

I have now driven both - briefly - I like them both - I think it comes down to space and price - most features for the money...etc.

7. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think, in the long run, you might end up with the standard Prius. You might even keep the Blazer if you are seriously consider towing, cause the Blazer won't be a great commuter vehicle, but with kids and a wife, I am betting you are more than a 1 car family, so the blazer would end up being the family getaway car with toys.

While the Prius v will be better suited for the drum kit and stuff, providing much more cargo space, unless you really plan on using a lot of space a lot of times beyond the drum kit and the occasional family outing with no towing, the Prius should probably be the better choice with regards to price and also MPG. 8-10 mpg may not seem like much initially, but little things over time do amount to a lot.

If you don't care that much and not doing any serious towing, the Prius v is a good 'all around' in my opinion. I am a single guy with no kids, but favored the v for the versatility role it can provide for space wise.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV Touring

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of lower MPG,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To stretch out in comfort;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks to jarring bones
    That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: of a better ride;

Seriously: we have 2009 hatchback and 2012 v - the ride comfort and room on the Prius v is MILES better than the hatchback. It may only seem like a small space increase for the mileage decrease, but in fact it IS more versatile and the driving comfort is superior. Plus, I think you will be hard pressed to squeeze those three kiddos (and one car seat) into the back of the hatchback - with very little space left for luggage or other cargo. If money is a tight consideration, then consider a certified pre-owned 2008-2010 model hatchback and save even more for your commuting pleasure. That's how we got started (hooked) on Prii.

Just my two cents...

9. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Blazer is getting old and they weren't known for great reliability. While you may want to hang onto it awhile, I recommend the V as a backup that can do almost the same job. I have a Liftback and love it so far but it's a bit space limited for a growing family that I don't have but you do. Hedge your bets by spending a bit more and getting a V that will be more useful if you have to unload your Blazer due to its age. Trust me, you'll never regret getting the V's extra space for the relatively small tradeoff to the Liftback's somewhat better mileage.