1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

To Wax or Not to Wax?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KimPrius3, Jul 17, 2016.

1. KimPrius3

KimPrius3 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wanted to wax the Prius however, someone else said not to wax it because it has a clear coat on it from the factory that should last at least a year. The water does beads up on it, and the shine is beautiful. Should I wait to wax or do it ASAP? What kind of Meguiar's wax for exterior is best? Sadly, I do not have a garage for my Pri. :(

Also, I bought some of the Meguiar's Interior Detailer Cleaner Wipes, that says it's "Great for Nav Screens!" I tested it on the shiny black dashboard and it left streaks. Did not try it on the Nav screen. Trying to eliminate the bit of lint that shows up on the shiny black dashboard.

ETP likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm using this stuff twice a year. Goes on easy and seems ok. There's lots of choices though.

Actually with our low usage I think once yearly would do. I would get on it, they're completely blowing smoke: clearcoat is part of the paint.

My pref, but I would not use anything on the interior vinyl, or the tires. Just wax on all gloss painted or chrome trim.

image.jpeg

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KP4,

I didn't wax the 2016 yet. It has a garage so it is in the shade and weather a lot.
    The clear coat doesn't protect against bird droppings, as
    I washed a spot off, and you could see at a certain angle the outline of the spot.
    Did a spot wax on that area, and the gloss returned as new.

Everyone has their favorite wax to recommend. I use Nu Finish, and started using
    Meguires spray on. Anything on Consumer Reports top 5 should be good.

I also do the windshield with Rain-X.

stt

4. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wax! (y)

Then don't forget to wax off! (n)

Seriously, clear coat is not going to protect your car... wax it and it will be easier to maintain. Not to mention always looking sharp!

ETP, KimPrius3 and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get one of those wax machines, they look good on tv.

ETP likes this.
  6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just me, but I haven't waxed a car in 10 years. Those car wash liquid waxes do a nice job.

ETP likes this.
  7. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with not using any kind of "interior detailing wipes." Especially products like Armor All, and similar. It tends to have an odor, and may leave surfaces "streaky" or greasy, or too slick... as I found out in 10 years of use in my Camry. (And I actually think that stuff "dried out" or faded the plastic over the years.

RCO and ETP like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    These work great on dusty interiors: California Car Dusters I also recommend their jelly blades along with a microfiber towel for exterior drying.

ETP likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can wax.
    Arguably you should wax.
    As stated, the clear coat is simply part of your entire cars finish. It should be there in some form, hopefully for as long as you own the car.
    It's not something that disappears after a year or only lasts a year. It's not a "wax".

I use to do SO much more, but time and energy aren't what they use to be. NOW? I pretty much wax the vehicle once in spring...for hopeful summer time protection. And once in Fall, to prepare for winter. Keep it clean in between. That seems to do pretty good.

Surprised The Meguiars detailer wipes disappointed. I like Meguiars products. I've used the detailer spray, and like the results...but to each their own.

As far as keeping lint away.
    I would really recommend getting a "Swiffer" insert.
    I keep one in my glove box. It takes literally seconds to occasionally grab it and pick up any dust or lint on the dash. Works really well.

CrazyCat, RCO and ETP like this.
  10. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the exterior, lots of good products. I just stick with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax because it's mild, and very easy on/off. I believe ALL vehicles should be waxed at least a few times per year... regardless if it has a clear coat or not. And especially if the car is in a part of the country that has snow / lots of rain / high heat and humidity.

And look at it this way, getting out there and doing your own wash & wax is good exercise! :D (And knowing that the job was "done right.")

I just wipe the interior with a damp cloth once a week. Takes me all of 45 seconds??? And occasionally put a light coat of wax on my fine white china and black plastic pieces of the dash. That Prius cost me $27,000... and that's a LOT of money for me! I'm sure as heck not going to let it get trashed. (I'll never understand why some people turn the insides of their car into a trash can! Or a clothes closet! :ROFLMAO:) Sorry, being too judgmental again.

I just wish my white paint didn't get so dirty; and so often.

chinarut and ETP like this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But Meguiars Detailer spray...at least the stuff I have used is NOT that type of product.
    It's a much "lighter" type of formula, that seems designed to clean. It's not at all like Armor All or any of the milky "greasy" protectants.

For UV protection I have used Aerospace, and other protectants...but you do have to be careful and judicious in it's application.

But that's exactly what I like about the interior detailer spray. It seems much more multi-purpose and it's NOT those types of products.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Or both!!! :eek:

IMG_1504.JPG

chinarut, Tbkilb01 and ETP like this.
  13. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's good to know, thanks.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

On the other hand, there's so many people living in their cars around here. I'm seeing more and more, all over the place. Gotta feel bad for those folks.

ETP likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I offer, and occasionally do clean out our kids cars, but kinda think what's the use: it's back to status quo in a few weeks. :(

ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It depends what the dealer means by "clearcoat". If it's a paint protection coating like G3 Glasscoat then it will protect the paint for 3 years.
    You can apply waxes over Glasscoat to get that deeper shine, but they must be waxes and not polymer sealants, as some polymer sealants may react with the glasscoat and bring it off. Mine has the Glasscoat applied and I just wash it then use a spray on detailer called demon shine.

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How old is your car? Like from production date. I have heard some people argue that your paint needs time to cure after production, I call BS myself but maybe if you ordered it and just picked it up from the dealer...... MAYBE you might want to wait a month or so.

What I do when I buy a car I care about the first weekend is spent caring for the paint. I start with a hand wash, then I clay bar it, polish with a finishing polish (unless I found reason to use a cutting polish) then I move to a non-abrasive paint cleaner. I may use a glaze depending on the car and color. A glaze will give more depth to your paint so it's good on light colored cars, but the wax won't hold as well so it may not be a good idea for a daily driver. After the glaze, I may use a true sealant on something I like or I'll just go straight to wax. A sealant will give you about 3 months of protection on a glazed car but isn't as "strong" as wax and doesn't bead water like wax. Carnauba wax is good for about 3 weeks on a glazed car. If you don't glaze the car the sealant is about 6 months the and wax is about 2 months. I normally do 2 layers of sealant and 3 layers of wax on cars I like. I always wax a car, I never leave it with just sealant.

The Prius, I'm not crazy about it. When I bought it, I washed it, clay bar'd then put down one layer of wax. A week or so ago I thought it looked bad after some rain so I went through a touchless car wash which got the dirt and stains off but it doesn't look good. Maybe this weekend I'll go through a shortened routine on it finally. Thinking wash, clay bar, polish, and 3 layers of wax. I'll probably lay down new wax every month and clay bar and polish twice a year.

If you don't want to go through that hassle I would at the very least get it properly clean (by hand with quality products, in the shade) then put down a layer of wax wait 1 hour then do another layer. I don't know what the seasons are like where you are but I'd say do this at least twice a year, preferably four times a year, and use a good touchless car wash every time you fill up. If you do that you're probably looking better than 90% of cars on the road.

KimPrius3 and Coast Cruiser like this.
  17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My thought is there could be particles of rust and such on a new car from the transport and sitting around. So I like the idea of clay bar and wax on the new car to get anything off.
    That's probably the last time my car sees a clay bar and won't see too many more waxes except the quickie stuff.

That's where if you have a white car you can see a little better some of the rust particles on the new car. When I got the 2006, Zaino brand was all the rage on this site, and that's what I did. Nobody talks about Zaino anymore. But they gave you a kit with clay bar etc.

Zaino Store: Zaino Beginners

(I wonder how 10-yr old Zaino works?)

#17 wjtracy, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MrMischief, after reading all that, I will need a third back surgery!!! :eek:

And poor Kim was last seen running down the road, pulling her hair out... and Screaming!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My pretty little "Penelope", (the "White Knight" when she's feeling spunky) was sitting in the dealer's off-site dirt lot, for over a month. (She was assembled in early January, and I took her home in late February.)

Surprisingly, there was not one mark or blemish on that Blizzard Pearl paint. I washed it a week later, threw on a couple coats of simple Meguiar's liquid wax, and that car was as smooth and shiny as a baby's butt. :LOL:

I just wish it had stayed that way! I was washing & waxing every week since... and that dang white color gets dirty again the very next day! I finally gave up. Now I only wash it once or twice a month. But I do clean the windows every day. I think I'll just throw a cheap car cover over it... and never again buy a WHITE car!

ETP, KimPrius3 and kithmo like this.
  19. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Reminds me of my brother-in-law!
    He's in construction, but no excuse to be so messy.

Used to be that if you opened the door to his truck a plate with dried half-eaten food might fall out.
    Before you could sit on the seat you'd have to clear off multiple papers, coffee cups, sweaty old t-shirts or socks, etc.

This is very common with lots of people.

Tbkilb01, ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  20. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I hear black is just as bad to keep clean. I like silver, the main reason being, it doesn't look dirty until you get close up.