1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Today is my Bday, Is it a good time to buy?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by danielizzle, Jan 28, 2012.

1. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I dont think the dealers will try to lower the price thinking i so keen in buying and its my bday. Im in no hurry to buy just want a good price on a 2012 Prius Four in SoCal, :confused:

2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have always found that the best prices are over the President's Day long weekend in late February - just a few weeks away. Happy B-day.

3. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    But what you want to do is go out and shop now so you can establish a relationship with a salesman.

One of your most powerful tools is being willing to walk away so don't let your sales guy impart you with a sense of urgency or you'll be backed into a corner where you might make bad decisions.

Establishing yourself as a well informed buyer who comes to the table with cash for the purchase and isn't in a hurry to close a deal puts you in a stronger negotiating position and takes away several tools the sales folks use to maintain the final price.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would strongly advise AGAINST purchasing on your birthday. You're probably more likely to impulse buy or cave on negotiating for emotional reasons (I deserve it, It's my birthday). Establish the relationships, do your research, understand what options you want, and don't let anyone pressure you into something you don't need.

Unless you're in "dire need" of a car today - waiting for known sale events may be better if inventory levels of what you want support waiting.

1 person likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you talked to Dianne Whitmire in dealers/pricing section? I think Carson is on SoCal.

At this point, best to just test drive the cars, make sure you're getting what you want. Set budget, like said establish relationship with dealer.

6. danielizzle

danielizzle Eco Swag

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate buying a new car last time I bought my scion Tc got ripped off cause it was my first new car and they got me for everything (stupid add ons)

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I wouldn't mind being a fly-on-the-wall when you ask about Birthday discounts, LOL. There's mixed messages in your post, ie: you're in no hurry, vs, birthdays are one day only, and better buy now, prices are as low as they're going to get. The latter is a very common salesman ploy, btw.

do not know, research, comparison shop. If something you can live with is actually sitting on the lot, this may be to your advantage: I'm sure dealerships prefer to clear what they have first.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Happy birthday! I can't think of a better present... go get one. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. ToSeek

ToSeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't know about new cars but my local news-radio station is reporting (per Kelley Blue Book) that used car prices - particularly for hybrids - will be rising over the next few months:

Used car values expected to climb before March

11. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    danielizzle, I LOVE buying cars, but all the fun is researching and looking at them all.
    Took me a couple of months to buy my last car. More than happy to help you if you need some help...

Now is a good time to buy, before gas starts shooting up for the summer...

12. autopc

autopc New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sent you a PM.
    Thx