1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Today my catalytic converter was stolen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave Wise, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Dave Wise

Dave Wise New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I started the car the engine was making a really loud noise. Turns out the cat converter had been cut off and removed. I went to a muffler shop and they were able to weld a tube in its place for $100 . Problem is they said the car will most likely fail inspection (is this true?). They gave me a quote of $800 for a used converter and $2000+ for a new one. Are there any places or websites I can look up that offer cheaper options? I'm located in Nyc and the car is a 2006 Prius.

2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Sorry to say but my understanding is that NY requires a Toyota converter for replacement parts affecting emissions (apparently NY has adopted the CA standard). Finally, I believe that I read here on PC that an aftermarket catalyst supplier has obtained CA approval (if true this should be cheaper than the Toyota part).

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 on being sorry for your loss.
    If you've had your car for a few years, then you know what they usually do when you get you car smog tested.
    Unless they crawl underneath your car (or use a mirror) to see of you have an OEM cat - then I would get an aftermarket unit installed, or trade out for another one.
    If you decide to use an OEM cat, then be prepared for a significant waiting period for the new unit.
    NY is a CARB state but there is at least one (real-world) aftermarket alternative that meets your states standards from what I've read.
    You will NOT want to get this problem addressed at the dealer.
    Oh....and it is safe (for the car) for you to drive it to the repair facility.
    The Youtube presenter below also has several other relevant vids.

Since you're in NYC you probably do not commute anyway... ;)

Good Luck.

#3 ETC(SS), Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would purchase this one off of Amazon and either install it yourself or have the muffler shop do it.

Those who know, tell me if I wrong. Unlike California, I've heard that New York does the test using the OBDII connector and the tail pipe sniffer. It does not inspect for the Toyota factory cat numbers.

Since the Prius is known for less emissions that standard vehicles, it will more likely than not, pass the OBDII and sniffer test easily with the aftermarket 49 state cat.

Check out this video;

#4 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    ydpplqbd likes this.