1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 24, 2007.

1. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And here's a predictable comment from a Grandmother:
    my husband and I worried that we disciplined our kids more tightly than our friends did - on the other hand, we were never embarassed to take them out in public, because they knew how to behave. They flew lots of times as children - the first time when when son was 2 1/2 and daughter 6 weeks - with NO problems. They also wore seatbelts in the car from day one - the car didn't go anywhere if everyone wasn't buckled in back in the early 70's. Sit down and behave wasn't a suggestion - it was expected without any fuss. And for the record, my kids (now 36 & 39) still call my friends "Mr. & Mrs" unless the friends ask them to use their first names. It's called respect for elders, not fear. Heck, I still call my parents' friends "Mr & Mrs" unless they correct me, and I was a senior in college when JFK was assassinated if you want to calculate my age.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 24 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]380025[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that's what the overhead bins were for? :rolleyes:

Tom

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 24 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]380102[/snapback]</div>
    Good for you!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 24 2007, 11:00 AM) [snapback]380102[/snapback]</div>
    Bravo, I'd probably do the same. When the parents clearly are not exercising appropriate control then it's not inappropriate to point it out. But a child behaving badly does NOT necessarily mean the parents are bad or are not doing what they're supposed to. I, not infrequently, let my child have their tantrum out (when it won't severely disturb others) to show them that they won't beable to do that and get a reaction to me, but in a confined area that's not appropriate.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 24 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]380129[/snapback]</div>
    No, I'm pretty sure those are for the snakes.

6. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]380089[/snapback]</div>
    The one thing that comes to mind is that I've heard a lot of kids hate flying because of the way the pressure builds up in the inner ear. Adults know how to swallow and make it pop but children don't. She may have had a terrible time on the flight to Florida and was terrified of it happening again. When I was a kid, the stewardess would hand out gum to the kids to alleviate the problem. They don't give out anything anymore.

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 24 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]380129[/snapback]</div>
    LOL!

What's wrong with a pet carrier, heck the cargo bays are heated and pressurized these days. :blink:

Wildkow

p.s. Nice thing about kids. . . if you lose or misplace a couple here or there you can always make more. . . [attachmentid=6319]

Attached Files:

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]380089[/snapback]</div>
    You are so full of it.

..although it is interesting to see you resort to a name calling personal attack first. Bravo. Anyone going to "silence" you for a week? :eek:

Of course, you ASSUME continuous screaming would be the resultant, and you ASSUME this will lead to prolonging the experience. Gee, would it be possible, perhaps equally such, there would be NO screaming and the event would end right there?

It's the sort of thing that makes it useless arguing with you on most issues. You only present scenarios and possible outcomes as long as they support your overall idea/theme whatever...

Precisely the reason Jimmy Carter won't even bother arguing with Dershowitz regarding Israel...

There's just a WEEEEE bit of a difference between that scenario and simply dealing with a spazzing kid on a flight..

...but you know what? We don't give a F!!! :D

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]380042[/snapback]</div>
    Can't believe you're blaming liberalism for this. My next door neighbors, hard core right wing nutjobs, are the ones who plead and beg with their three kids to do things...and don't discipline.

Me, the liberal next door, wishes they would bring corporal punishment back into schools.

Once again, you're lumping all stupid behavior under a liberal label. I guess that makes you a liberal, too, huh?

And this liberal would've given the family another opportunity to fly on the next flight available, but no other "rewards."

As the parent of a three-year old myself, I don't have much sympathy for the parents, but tons for the little girl. Another thing that parents today DON'T make their kids do is nap or sleep on a schedule. Most kids have their meltdowns because they're exhausted. There is no reasoning with an exhausted 2-year old--they're bulletproof (in their eyes), so fear doesn't even work. For those of you with kids, you know what I mean.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]380166[/snapback]</div>
    You are a strange, sad little man

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, I'm not...but please feel free to point out your experience and where I'm wrong.

Point out where I name called please. You are completely ignorant about the realities of raising a child...care to tell me how that's a mistake? I'd be name calling if I said you were "stupid" or "a-hole", or any number of other words that are derogatory. But stating a fact is not. If you were to say that I'm ignorant about stunt bike riding that wouldn't be name calling, it would be pointing out a fact...I know very little about it except what I see. Glad I could clarify the difference.

And it's possible that the war in Iraq will end tomorrow when Jesus and Mohamad descend to earth and hug and tell us all to stop. But, again, those of us who have extensive experience with children know that is very likely and what is nearly fanciful to expect.
    I'm easy to discuss with...if you come armed with facts you'd see that. When you come with preformed ideas based upon no facts then yes, you'll have a hard time finding a meaninful discussion that you can relate to.

A precise reason why your ignorance is in play. There's very little difference really. Kids that have had a traumatic or frightening experience once will recall that and they response the next time will reflect it. Flying, if a kid had ear pain or something, can be frightening and their next plan trip will display a reaction appropriate.

"We"....the royal we or you and the mouse in you pocket?

12. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]380176[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yes, you are correct, one man's experience is the be all and end all....!

BS, you know precisely what you wrote, and how you meant it to be transmitted.

Perfect example of irrational drivel. Oh is it really fanciful to expect? 100% presumptious. Funny, you claim we don't fully know the situation, yet you come up with this. What if the kid was autistic? what if he had some legit mental disorder? etc., etc., etc., yet you've applied a blanket outcome... hmmmm...

Wrong, your viewpoints stem from core beliefs whereas you firmly believe some conclusion you come up with is totally irrefutable. All I do is sit here and watch not only yourself, but a vast majority of the PC justify your positions. There isn't ONE person here who is totally, 100%, balanced and rational, and THAT'S what makes it highly entertaining. Well, actually, there is ONE, but I'll refrain from posting up who it is... :ph34r:

Sure, once again, totally based on YOUR set of assumptions...

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Jan 24 2007, 10:37 AM) [snapback]380169[/snapback]</div>
    I was about to write the same thing almost verbatim. Right across the street are the neighborhood right-wingers with a child the age of mine. My child respects me and knows that I'll do exactly as I say. I don't threaten consequences, I promise them. And I've done it without once hitting my child or being removed from an airplane becuase of it (before my daughter was 2 years old, we spent 24 hours travelling to China from CA and she's been on 20 flights since then). The child across the street, on the other hand just has to whine a bit louder, and the threats are removed. "I told you yesterday that you lost outside play time today. But (now that you're whining about it) if you don't hit your brother any more then you can go ahead and play with the liberal child across the street who's well mannered." And you know what they blame the bad behaviour of their kids on? The fact that they use this "liberal" method of child raising. Wth? They spout off strict ultimatums and then do not keep them. The child quickly learned that nothing her parents say is set in stone. Yup. Liberals' fault all the way. You know... because we're so damn wishy-washyl

I do remember back before I had a child thinking how simple it would be to control kids. Oh yes. I had it all figured out. Kid screaming on the plane? Don't ask the kid to be quiet. FORCE That kid to be quiet. Well, surprise. I've learned a lot, and until you've got kids, please don't even bother giving us your sage advice. This is one of those rare times when you actually DO have to experience it to have any valuable input.

Right again! Errr... left? ;)

Roger that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 24 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]380175[/snapback]</div>
    And definitely Roger that!

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 24 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]380062[/snapback]</div>
    Nicely put, Sir.

[attachmentid=6320]

Attached Files:

15. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 24 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]380199[/snapback]</div>
    You know what the best thing about this is?

YOU'RE the ones who have now taken off and started to use examples of how "right winger" kid neighbors you know of, are essentially out of control, I was merely the enzyme....!

PRICELESS!!!

16. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

If I would have done this when I was kid, my parents would have told me they were going to beat my a$$, and boy howdy did they mean it! I learned quickly to behave and do what I was told or it was time for a time out in the bathroom and I'd come back with a sore butt.

Did it scar me for life? hell no. they kept me on the right track, and I'm thankful for it.

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 24 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]380175[/snapback]</div>
    This statement is a reflection of your uncontrollable intolerant bias. :ph34r:

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]380203[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you have any compassion? Do you have any capacity for empathy? You seem so isolated.

19. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]380203[/snapback]</div>
    You know what the best thing is? In just about every reply you've had to Evan, you've demonstrated exactly the same behavior you accuse him of!

My favorite part was where he asked for your experience that would prove his experience wrong... a nice, easy opening for someone who actually had a rational argument to fortify their point. instead, your baseless, rash, accusatory posts have simply proved that, at least on this subject, we can ignore pretty much everything you say.

20. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

And yes, I've sat on flights where the kids were howling their heads off, kicking my seat and the parents thought it was funny and a joke when I said something to them about it. Yeah, its early, I'm traveling on a 4 hour flight and I'd like a nap before I have to go work until 1-2am in a different time zone prepping my equipment to do a dawn spray(5-6 am) for an EPA test.

but please ask the kid if she wants the snacks and juice for my sake, she threw EVERYTHING over the seat, right into my lap, thankfully the juice didn't make it, and I'm not allergic to the peanuts she had.

The plane was full, and no one wanted to do anything about the kid, but it was funny when I reclined myseat unknowningly right into the kid,whose booster seat shoved her forward-- she was removed and told that she needed to be quiet for once by mommy and daddy. I got 15 minutes of peace total on that flight. (don't get me wrong, I don't hurt kids deliberatly, I just wanted more room, and i did ask if the kid was ok...)

I agree with what the airlines did because I've seen the hell those spoiled brats cause first hand.