1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 24, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Jan 24 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]380157[/snapback]</div>
    :D :D :D

Without speculating on why the child was badly behaved, whether it was bad parenting or a child traumatized from an earlier flight experience, or whatnot, it is NOT acceptable to allow one person (child or adult) to delay an entire flight. There are some things you cannot bring on an airplane, and rampaging children should be included on that list. If a child is not capable of understanding how it must behave on a plane, then it should not be allowed to fly.

Note that airlines always allow parents with children to board the plane first, and this should allow planty of time to get the child properly seated and buckled in.

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like to think that my kid was well-behaved enough at age 3 to not behave as the child in the article. He was an angel until age 2-1/2, and then was a beast for the next 12-16 months. There were times in that period where I know I was not able to get him to do what I wanted, no matter what I tried, so I'm not going to claim "that could never happen with my child" - although I can't think of anything that ever went so far as to come close to the situation in the article. If it was myself and my child on the plane, and for some reason I was unable to get the child under control, I would have removed myself and the child from the plane and apologized to everyone as I was deplaning. That would hardly make up for the additional delay caused by the need to remove my baggage from the plane though, as many airlines won't allow a passenger's luggage to fly without them (unless it's a delayed/lost bag, paid cargo, etc.).

Actually, now that I think back, his favorite thing to do at that age when he didn't get what he wanted was to sit down, cross his arms, pout, and be completely silent and still. He was never one to throw noisy physical tantrums. So maybe I can say it would never happen with my child, though this could not be credited to my parenting skills.

You people who don't have kids - you really need to STFU when it comes to handing out advice about parenting. Unless you've actually done it, your opinions and advice are worthless.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    speaking of pet carriers... over the holidays i flew with my dog (small enough for a pet carrier in the main cabin, and it's cheaper to pay the pet fee than it would have been to board him for 2 weeks). While he's certainly not a child, dogs don't like being confined in small areas like that, and they suffer many of the same problems (mostly ear aches) from the pressure that kids do. My dog was perfectly well behaved on the flights both ways, only letting out one yelp upon takeoff in the first flight, probably due to the pressure.

I attribute most of that to my insistence at home that rude behavior (especially barking and whining) isn't acceptable and doesn't get him what he wants.

I should also mention, he's still just a puppy, and is younger than the girl listed in the article.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 24 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]380215[/snapback]</div>
    SILENCE!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 24 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]380229[/snapback]</div>
    If that were the case, if we all had to STFU when handing out advice, or even opinions, on things we hadn't done yet, boy this would be an awfully quiet room... Maybe you'd ALL have to STFU on Iraq until you became the POTUS...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 24 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]380217[/snapback]</div>
    You may start now.

;)

I think you should all PM Efusco suggesting I be banned, as I have become too disruptive.

5. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]380233[/snapback]</div>
    not a bad idea... but that would be mean. i'd much rather sit here wasting my time trying to convince you to stop being so closed off to others and respect an opposing opinion, even if you don't agree with it.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]380233[/snapback]</div>
    But you like being disruptive and getting banned. :)

I'm not sure which is worse...giving in to your cries for attention, or letting you have your tantrums. I'd like to think there's a rational, caring person behind this mask of mystery, but will you live long enough to find him? :unsure:

Are you going to tell us who the balanced poster is, or keep us in suspense? Does this mean there's someone here you respect? Who knew?! :rolleyes:

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 24 2007, 05:54 PM) [snapback]380253[/snapback]</div>
    ...and his name is:

malorn.

Although Daniel come close, he's made some totally irrational statements, but I tend to see most of his perspectives more balanced than most...

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I've often wondered why airlines don't lump all families with young children up front together. The parents could elect to discuss children, the kids could play and the very verbal would be (hopefully)facing forward almost into the wall which may slightly deaden their sounds. It seems like such a win/win. For those families electing not to be lumped together the rule could be that for uncommon disturbances their election could cost them the ride, no refunds. This doesn't mean kids are to be seen and not heard. Part of growing up is learning your vocal power. It does mean the airlines have taken steps to accommodate the majority of well behaved passengers, and violators will face consequences.

9. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 24 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]380264[/snapback]</div>
    It does make you wonder how much it would cost them to put in one small bulkhead like you normally see between first class and coach to create a "family only" zone. if the plane is 10% first class, 25% family, and the rest coach it would probably work out pretty well... then around the holidays and major family travel times, you simply flip flip the coach and family areas so that the few business men/women would still have an area to themselves...

Thats a really good idea you had :) if an airline implemented it, i'd probably fly them a lot more than others!

10. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 24 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]380229[/snapback]</div>
    Before I had kids I'd have thought you were rude to say that, but after having kids...

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Jan 24 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]380062[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow I don't think kids are 'taught' to throw temper tantrums. I DO agree that some parents reinforce the behavior and few deal with it ways that discourage the behavior.

My son and daughter-in-law are very good at disciplining their two little boys, and usually they are very well behaved. But the kids act up sometimes, especially if they are frightened, tired or hungry.

The airline was right in refusing to let them stay on the flight, and it was very nice that they gave the family additional free flights - good PR on their part.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 24 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]380203[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. You find comfort in the oddest places. The example was only given as a counter-point to your baseless suggestion (that it is obviously the children of "liberals" who aren't brought up right.) And this gives you a woody why exactly? How is this situation "...yet another example of the expression of liberal values and ideas, attempt to "reason" and "calm down" a 3 year old..." ?? If you are trying to make a point, I've missed it. Try explaining it in smaller words or something - I was brought up by conservative parents.

For the record - the airline did the right thing in removing this family. I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Nowhere in that decision would I have thought, "Gosh, is this what a liberal would do?"

You obviously just enjoy being the conservative bad-boy without actually believing much of what you write. How could you, really? As the poster boy for conservatives, you sure give the other reasonable folks a bad name. To most people, their actions dictate their policial leanings. For you it seems the opposite. Your political leanings seem to be all consuming. Right or wrong, you've got to be RIGHT.

You veiw yourself as an enzyme? Somewhat of an insult to the enzymes. Most of the enzymes I know about do what they do for a compelling reason.

Enjoy your life. If you actually have one.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]380054[/snapback]</div>

And that's where a swift swat to the rear comes in. A little "sit down and stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" works wonders on a 3 year old. Of course, discipline is something that must be instilled from a very young age. If you start early you don't need to spank at all. A time out will do. But these parents obviously have no parenting skills.

I pity the poor teachers that are going to get stuck with this spoiled brat. She'll get a rude wake up call in school. And the teachers will have to deal with the "not my kid" parents. Because of course the teacher and the entire class is ganging up and picking on their poor Susie. Who do we know? Because she told us.

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 24 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]380366[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. It sounds like that kid needed the board of education applied to the seat of learning. A little duct (or duck) tape goes a long way to. Where does it say these people have a right to fly on a commercial airline? If the kid can't behave or the parents can't control then they should just be banned. They can drive, fly Amtrak, or fly Grayhound to their destination.

The names and address of that family should have been given to every other passanger who claims an economic loss because of the flight delay.

That family should fly FedEx. At least they wouldn't bother anyone else.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 24 2007, 06:17 PM) [snapback]380366[/snapback]</div>
    You very well may be correct. It's possible that the parents have no good parenting or discipline skills. It may have been the correct choice to swat the kid. Perhaps the threat of 'giving them something to cry about' would work (though it sounds like you've never raised a 3 year old, they're not really able to grasp that particular abstraction). They can understand a time out..though it's nearly impossible to do that adequately in those kinds of confined spaces on a plane. Again, it is absolutely possible that these are bad parents, spoiled bad kid and they deserved to be kicked off the plane.

It is ALSO just as possible that the kid was just plain scared. Maybe the kid hadn't eaten b/c they were rushed b/w flights. Maybe she hadn't had a nap b/c of the crazy flight time and the issues with security, the waiting room chaos, etc. Maybe these parents are very good disciplinarians, use all the right tools, and just had a bad situation on their hands that they wanted to resolve through their usual means b/c of thier good understanding of their own child. Maybe a swat would have been the exact wrong measure and would have made future similar situations even more frightening for the child and even more difficult for the parents to deal with...should they never again be allowed to fly with their child?

I've been there and done that....again, I've got over 100k flying miles of experience w/ my kids under my belt. The vast majority of the time they're very well behaved. My wife is a pediatrician, we've read all the books, one of my kids is autistic and the much more difficult to teach behaviorally (or was at that age). If you took a snap shot of the bad times one could make an article very similar to the one in this thread....and you'd all be saying what a bad parent I am and what a bad kid I have...and you'd all be dead wrong. It is absolutely unfair to judge these people, and esp. this kid, based on this 3rd hand story about a few minutes out of this family's life.

Like I said, maybe this kid will be a juvenile delinquent, maybe he'll be the next Gandi, I have no idea. But at the most the child was acting up for 15 minutes..I think we need to give the kid and the family the benefit of the doubt. I have no complaint with the action the airline took..they felt it necessary and still made it right with the family. Obviously the child acted ok on the next flight...what was different there...did the parents suddenly become good parents?

Judge not from that sketchy info lest ye be judged at your worst moment too.

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jan 24 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]380285[/snapback]</div>
    Heh, well we all have our favorite brat jokes don't we? A long time ago, I was at lunch at Burger King, I think it was, and a woman was ahead of me in line. Her little boy was young enough that she sat him on the counter. He wanted one of those apple pies or whatever the heck it was and she said he couldn't have one. Immediately, he put his fat little fists on his hips and said loudly enough for that entire part of the building to hear "JERK!" This to his mother who stared downwards and pretended that it didn't happen. The only reason that little twerp left the fast food emporium with all of the skin on his face is because, in a rare moment of clarity, I realized that he was his mother's problem. When I tell people this story, they instictively start to raise their hand as if to get ready to slap the little goofball. I sometimes wonder if he learned his little "JERK!" act from his mother or his father or what.

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jan 24 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]380413[/snapback]</div>
    What are you, Doc, some kind of spoilsport? Take that dictum seriously and Fred's would be as uninhabited as a Calculus lecture on SuperBowl Sunday. :p

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Jan 24 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]380169[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. My sister and her husband are Republicans. She is putting locks on her sons bedroom doors because they won't do what she tells them to. She asks them to do a task or chore and they don't. So her answer is to lock them out of their rooms. Well, their in High School. I think that boat has sailed.

And don't you know whenever something is "bad" it's LIBERAL? Because we all know Liberals are athiests, promiscuous and bad parents. They probably all have bad breath and BO too. Oh... B. O. Or is it B. H. O.? Does Barack have kids? Do they scream on planes? He has two daughters aged five and eight. I haven't read anything about their liberal, spoiled, out of control behavior in the news. I'm sure some rightwing, neocon blog would have posted something if it had happened.

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 25 2007, 12:14 AM) [snapback]380431[/snapback]</div>
    ...or maybe it's the use of they're opposed to their....

From a SKOOLTEECHER NONETHELESS!!!!

UGGGH! UGGGH!!! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 25 2007, 07:09 AM) [snapback]380531[/snapback]</div>
    Even I make mistakes from time to time with 'their there and they're' or 'to too and two'. More of a typo than a lack of education :)