1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toddler's temper ousts family from plane

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 24, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 24 2007, 01:09 PM) [snapback]380264[/snapback]</div>
    NO, NO, NO!!! I fly first class. This would put the screamers and the howlers right behind my poor abused ears.

I suggest that flight attendants be properly trained in the administration of injections, and rowdy or noisy kids should be sedated. This would put a bit of money in the pockets of the drug companies (something every conservative will support) and would give the kids an enjoyable "trip" (something the kids will like) and will give the harried parents a much-deserved rest (which they will certainly like) and will make flying a more enjoyable and relaxing experience for everyone (which will increase the number of people willing to fly, which will benefit the airlines). After that, all we need to do is put FedEx in charge of baggage handling to virtually eliminate lost luggage, and flying will become a good way to travel.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 25 2007, 09:17 AM) [snapback]380572[/snapback]</div>
    Rather than injections, why not just let people use those gas masks? They have to have something good in them... everyone's always so happy in the pictures and videos they have showing you how to use them. :)

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 25 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]380573[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 25 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]380573[/snapback]</div>
    Injections? Gas Masks? They already have the perfect solution, apple juice.

[​IMG]

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/03/14/...ain544011.shtml

(AP) A former Northwest Airlines flight attendant pleaded guilty to assaulting a 19-month-old baby on a flight from Amsterdam by placing a prescription depressant in a cup of apple juice he gave the child to stop her crying, federal officials announced.

Daniel Cunningham, 39, of Ann Arbor, was charged with assaulting an individual under the age of 16, distributing a controlled substance aboard an aircraft and importing a controlled substance, U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Collins said in a statement.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Uh oh, this is getting dangerously close to my latest money-making scheme: selling purified air to passengers! I'm considering some sort of designer mask (but we're searching for another word for these, like "purity enhancement device"). You'd purchase one and then there would be some sort of oxygen generator or whatever dedicated to feeding 'em...

...Or, perhaps, in a more "in-your-face" version, there would actually be an airlock between first class and everyone else...(!!) What would happen is that "fresh" air would pass through first class, *then* be channeled back to the rear of the cabin...

Kind of a 'first among equals' sort of plan, if you will...

----------------------

Oh, there's another way to quiet down the folks in back: turn up the cabin altitude a bit and put 'em all to sleep!

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, bottled water seems socially acceptable now, even though it costs more than gasoline and really isn't much different than what comes out of the tap. Can bottled clean air be far behind?

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 25 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]380744[/snapback]</div>
    I thought that there were oxygen bars already, so there's already a precedent.

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 25 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]380739[/snapback]</div>
    "Purity enhancement device" sounds like an entirely different product than what you describe. :eek:

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 25 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]380760[/snapback]</div>
    Well, [ahem] we're still focus-grouping it...

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 25 2007, 03:43 PM) [snapback]380760[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I believe that this topic has been officially highjacked :lol:

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 25 2007, 03:41 PM) [snapback]380757[/snapback]</div>
    Definitely; as we become more and more aware of how sickness is transmitted, we're also becoming more and more domesticated ( i.e. willing to live in closer and closer proximity to each other physically)...seems to me that our fear of disease transmission and our willingness to exist in higher density situations are naturally opposed.

There's an "aren't you worth it" angle: I mean, you do so much for yourself already...

Not to mention the "fear" message: If you're *not* breathing SpringFresh Air®, what are you breathing? After all, who in their right mind trusts a *non-branded* breatheable?

12. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 25 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]380782[/snapback]</div>
    Or for those days that you don't feel so fresh...

:lol: :lol: :p :D

13. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I confess! I'm so cheap I breath a non-branded breathable!

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 25 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]380744[/snapback]</div>
    Are you kidding? The tap water anywhere I've ever lived (other than one farmstead with a well) tastes dreadful! I taste the tap water when travelling (where appropriate) and then buy bottled water if the tap water does not taste good. And in my entire life I've only ever tasted good tap water in three places: The farmstead mentioned above; Scotland; and a hiking lodge near Revelstoke, BC, Canada, where the tap water came directly from a stream slightly above the lodge. (I have heard that NY claims to have good-tasting tap water, but I've never been there.) At home I run my water through a pitcher-type water filter. It makes it taste good, though I would not trust it to make unsafe water safe. It takes the bad taste out, and does that very well.

The practical problem with bottled air is the weight of the containers. Visit a dive shop and heft a scuba tank. A tank that will give you an hour of air is heavier than you will want to lug around in an airport. Bottled oxygen is a little better because you are just adding a bit of it to the ambient air as you breathe it. But you still need to wheel it along on a cart. And you are still breathing all the pollution and germs around you.

Figure out some way to carry compressed air in a container the weight of a five-gallon water bottle, and you'll be rich.

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bah! You guys and all your "i don't want to catch your diseases so i'm drinking my own purified water and breathing my own purified air"...

I'm totally with George Carlin on this one (edited for content):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007G1W...lance&n=130

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 25 2007, 07:09 PM) [snapback]380849[/snapback]</div>
    I suppose it depends where you're from and what you're used to. When I lived in Saskatchewan, the water from the well at the farm was so bad it was virtually undrinkable. I had to hold my nose, and the thick mineral deposits in the sink were permanent. In town, the water came by truck once a week. Where I live now, the water comes straight from the mountains and is simply wonderful. Most of the travelling I've done has been self-propelled and off the beaten track, where the water is even better. Guess I'm spoiled. :)

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 25 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]380849[/snapback]</div>
    I'm waaaaaay out of my element now, but aren't there those 'oxygen generators' (like, unfortunately, the ones which brought down that commercial airliner some years back) which use a chemical reaction to generate oxygen?

A good point, though. Any excess weight has to more than pay for itself.

Perhaps it would be some sort of proprietary air-filtration system...? I mean, two of the biggest selling bottled waters (Dasani and Aquafina) are both "purified and mineral enhanced" (their words; I'm paraphrasing) tap...errr, "municipal source" water...

Perhaps we could somehow filter the existing air...and even add 'boosts' like at the juice smoothie store...? Could be as simple as "country fresh" (or whatever) scents, but we might also take it to the next level with some sort of 'mood enhancement' elements which would be available for an upcharge...

A scenario for your consideration: I'm traveling, flying alone, gazing wistfully through the Perspex at the worldscape below...the flight attendant walks up and mentions that this handsome guy a few aisles back would like to add an "enticing Hawai'ian sunset" mood enhancer (which is a member of the pricey TopTier™ line of enhancers; a big spender!!) to my SpringFresh Air stream...

And...I'm putty in his hands!

--------------

Next: your own seat covers which you bring with you to cover the upholstery of the seat in the plane (if you've ever wondered where motel beadspreads have been, don't even think about airliner seats!).

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 26 2007, 12:27 PM) [snapback]381308[/snapback]</div>
    My step-mother had emphysema. She had one of those oxygen generators for use when she was at home. It was far too heavy and bulky to go out with. For going out she took the oxygen tank, on its stroller cart. And regardless, the oxygen generator merely added some oxygen to the ambient air, so she was still breathing whatever pollution was present. Most of us do not need additional oxygen. We just want to block all the filth that's floating in the air.

As for air filters, of course those exist. We call them gas masks. I think the problem is designing a mask that will stop all the bad stuff while letting the good stuff through, and will have low enough resistance to not make breathing difficult. If you have to suck hard to breathe, that's bad.

It's probably easier to filter particulates and the larger sorts of germs. Viruses are small, though, and difficult to filter.

Maybe George Carlin is right, and instead of avoiding the filth we should wallow in it.

19. member

member New Member

For the kids - a mild sedative.

For the rest of us, ear plugs.