1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tom's Floor Stiffening brace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by chrisek, Nov 20, 2005.

1. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    londo-cat, thank you for your response, and your kind message to Brian on the BT tech brace thread elsewhere.

You are absolutely correct about the construction of this brace being awkward. It's surprising because this company is actually known for high-quality pieces.

The best argument I can think of for the interference is that the Japanese Prius does not have the same catalytic converter/pre-muffler set up the US Prius has.

As for the multiple pieces, I have no justification, but I have been going out of my way on this thread to point this out. I will tell you this: the car was "quieter" in the corners when I had the front wheels loaded. If Brian is able to improve on this piece (I think he can easily judging from his other brace) I can't wait to see that improvement.

If it ends up not happening, then when I get the brace back I will merely take a ball-peen hammer and give it enough clearance. It is steel after all.

In short, I don't think this brace is a "must have" piece for the Prius, but it is an improvement.

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have been looking at pictures of this brace and I am beginning to wonder if it is three pieces on purpose. I can visualize that the brace can help prevent tacoing, but the bolts provide a bit of a flex point, allowing the brace to give a little in other flexing angles. It's hard to describe, but if the angle of one corner of an upside down U becomes more acute and the opposite corner more obstuse, then pivoting at the bolts might be desired.

I agree that perhaps the Japan spec Prius has a different exhaust setup. Tom's is indeed known for quality.

Nate

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well I've found out the definitive answer about the muffler clearance problem. I found this on Tom's website. Here is what Tom's says:

"*4:As for the genuine muffler wearing car and the muffler-wearing car except a TOM'S barrel, there might be interference."

So pretty much this brace will really only fit if you get the Tom's muffler. Since it only ups the volume by 1 dB, maybe I'll do that.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you sure that's specific for the Prius brace? And are you sure that's just a muffler? I thought it was one of the catalytic converters...and I don't think you can just pull that off in exchange for a muffler without creating some major issues with Prius since the Cat is a major component of the emissions control system.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, Chris.. based on what you now know and all your studies based on this point in "brace evolution" , do you recommend Toms brace or Brians?
    Or should one wait briefly for Tom to make changes?

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, it was specific to the Prius. It only referred to the Tom's muffler. When they say muffler, they actually mean the exhaust system that Sigma also sells. I posted pretty much everthing that was noted for the brace in my last post.

Yes, you can't pull the cat off without causing problems. There are some adapters that you can plug into the harness where the O2 sensor usually is that fools the computer by feeding it the "correct" voltage. Not really something you would do on a Prius though.

7. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry about coming back in so late on this as I was out of town for a wedding with only my Blackberry (check out Audio section for the bluetooth pairing if interested.)

First, I am not sure if it is interfering with a pre-muffler or a catalytic converter. In either case they can be replaced. There are always higher quality pieces available and this includes cats. If it is a pre-muffler that would single handedly explain the 1db difference in the TOM's exhaust, this could be worth looking into and it wouldn't affect emissions. If you are VERY concerned about emissions then you want the cats as close to the exhaust headers as possible so they heat up quicker. And if that is the case here then this isn't touching a catalytic converter (sorry, "cat" is for short here).

What do I think of the brace? I pulled it off to mail to Brian at BT Tech. After I did so I can now feel some body twist I didn't notice before, so yes I do think it is beneficial. I still think there is huge room for improvement and I think Brian will bear that out. If he feels that the gain isn't worth the effort, then I'll just reinstall it. I'll decide at that point if I ball-peen the bar (not much more room needed from what I see) or go for the TOM's exhaust.

I'll do more investigation as it is needed there. I hope that helps. I hope to have fewer issues with the other (read: everything else) braces I'm ordering. Next up on short order should be the BT Tech brace (go, Brian!) then the front strut tower bar (as previously discussed) then the front member brace (whatever it is called) then the rear brace. Along the way maybe TOM's, Brian or someone else will come out with other stuff as well. If so, I'll be in line.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, I'll also be trying these pieces out. The strut bar brace and the front suspension brace are ordered, as is the BT. I'll probably wait a bit for the floor and rear subframe brace until I get a feel for the car, oh and the Toms exhast as well.

9. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Doc Vijay, you will be getting the front member brace before me if you've already ordered it.

If you don't mind, can you have that installed first to review it as a seperate entity? I just don't know how much it will overlap with the effect the front strut tower brace will have.

I can't tell you how much I like that others are into this stuff too. B)

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Sure, I'll install the suspension brace first. I planed on driving a couple of days between each component install to get a feel for what each does.

I was told it would take about 2-3 weeks for the braces to arrive.

11. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Let us know if its easy to install for a general handy man, or if you need special tools and knowhow.

12. wile-e

wile-e Junior Member

I like the looks of the mod. The pipe rattle problem is the normal type of thing that you see with the smaller aftermarket mod companies. They don't have the testing base to get four or five vehicles to test things on. Doesn't mean that it is bad work. It just means that on their test Prius this did not occur. Flexible exhaust connectors are every car jockey's nightmare! You see these sort of problems all of the time.

The clamp on the flex pipe is one solution, but watch out for wear at the two ends of the flex pipe. Many times you can re-angle all of the pipes by loosening the system and adjusting all of the pipes to provide good clearance. Many lowering mods have only needed this step in the past. You get the benefit of checking and retightening your entire exhaust system and hopefully put less stress on the vehicle.

I notice that the lower body brace from the same source is a single cast piece. The developers likely discovered that in this case a single cast piece was a step in the wrong direction. A crossbar with bolts connecting things together stiffens without making the vehicle inflexible. You want some flex no matter how much you wish to tighten the car up. Otherwise you may go over a bump on one wheel at speed and break something on the car..... Which I have done on a certain Celica where I welded a similar style brace... That was a VERY long walk.... You live and learn, or you don't live long....

My BT brace arrived today so I will be looking at those areas in the morning. If I find anything that can help I will pass it on. I will also be making a small order for some Sigma parts!

Hey sweetie? Christmas may be a little late this year! Sweetie? Jude!? Oops! She found that rifle! Gotta go.....