1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Toms rear brace conflicts w/ BT Tech Stiffening?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius62, May 23, 2007.

1. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 24 2007, 09:54 PM) [snapback]449620[/snapback]</div>
    they are advertised as steel.....as described on the Carson Toyota website.

"Helps reinforce the mid and rear portion of the chassis producing unwanted flex under acceleration and cornering. The brace greatly improves the rigidity of the chassis for better handling. Material: Steel with durable powder coating paint"

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 24 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]449478[/snapback]</div>
    Helps a lot. It sounds like the installation might actually be within my somewhat feeble mechanical ability; then again, if that's so, it probably wouldn't be that expensive to ask my mechanic to do it for me. He's really cool and lets me watch as he works, if I want to see how certain things go together.

You'd mentioned the noises you'd heard without the spacers installed. Once the spacers were in and everything was tight, did it all quiet down? The car is generally so quiet to begin with that creaks and thunks down there would probably be noticeable, I suppose, and I do happen to find certain noises irritating...

That's still a question for me, but otherwise, looks good.

Natalie's Prius Modification Checklist:
    *won't affect mileage
    *won't make noise
    *won't change the stock look (exception: lowering)
    *won't be noticed by my non automotively-inclined friends
    *won't attract attention to my car

Thanks again for the info. I've been a little afraid of these parts...which one(s) to choose and how *do* they go in, anyway?...tangential things which might mess up the experience (like odd noises, which hadn't even crossed my mind)...and the "rumor" that one of the braces (but which one? What, exactly, was it called? I never quite got that straight) interfered with parts that I absolutely didn't want to mess with.

I'm not afraid anymore! It's awesome; I've been toying with the idea of installing of a bit of chassis bracing, over and above the BT piece, for some time...now it seems lots closer to reality.

Best,
    --N.

3. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 25 2007, 10:19 PM) [snapback]450266[/snapback]</div>
    After installing the spacers the noises stopped.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 26 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]450267[/snapback]</div>
    Coolness!

I've re-read what everyone's written, and it does seem like the strut tower brace (top front) would complete the front-end.

Might I ask, any thoughts/tips on *that* one...? Clearance issues? Problems getting at regular service items? Need for a front end alignment afterwards?

This one might look kind of neat when the hood is open...

You've already been too kind.

5. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 25 2007, 11:07 PM) [snapback]450278[/snapback]</div>
    I'm more than happy to help with your decision.

You are correct. The strut brace and the lower front would complete the front end. Quicker steering response and a more rigid front end. There are no clearance issues with the strut bar and there is a detailed thread on how to install it. I beleive it was DocVijay who created that thread. It definitely looks nice under the hood and also blends right in.

After I installed all the bars, I had an alignment done just to be safe. It was only off a smiget.

I see that your located in San Francisco California. I work in the Daly City area and if your ever in the area your more than welcome to check out my TOM'S braces/install.

6. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ May 23 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]448652[/snapback]</div>

Install Update - I went to a local, reputable shop yesterday to have the rear braces installed and the triangular piece didn't fit. It interfered with the gas tank. We put the other bar in and they will fabricate some spacers so there is enough clearance from the gas tank. It needs about a half inch spacer.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ May 26 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]450408[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm. This isn't what I was wanting to hear (possible fit conflict). I wonder if there is an issue with your car being a 2005 edition? How many members that are following this thread with 2006+ cars have been able to fit the TOM'S rear brace(s) with no fit problems? I think SaeGai06 is one with no problems in fitting. Any others?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 26 2007, 12:53 AM) [snapback]450300[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiousity, how many miles were on your car before you installed the rear brace? There should be no need for an alignment after installing any of the TOM'S suspension bits, as the install process does not remove any part of the suspension that affects the alignment. If your alignment was off, it was most likely due to the wonderful quality of the roads in the area.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmm...

So I'm guessing that that lateral bar near what appears to be the rear part of the fuel tank is the offender...?

It sounds like the spacers will lower the brace assembly just a bit...?

Let us know how it goes. I'll probably make the decision soon in any case, but this does make me wonder a bit.

You don't think something got bent in shipping, do you?

I'm thinking the 'unthinkable,' that the brace itself simply isn't square, dimensionally, for some reason or another. Fabbed incorrectly...?

Not to worry, I'm often wrong!
    [smile]

-----------------

SaeGai06, thanks again, for everything. I might take you up on that offer!

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ May 26 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]450692[/snapback]</div>
    They might, and with a lowered car (such as would occur if the TRD Sportivo kit were added), there might be issues with the brace scraping (especially if a spacer was required to enable the brace to clear the gas tank or whatever the brace is conflicted with).

This is the one thing that has me holding off getting the rear suspension brace. :(

Edit/Update(8/10/2007):I have just installed the TOM'S Rear Suspension Brace. The Rear Suspension Brace is the perfect complement to the TOM'S Upper and Lower Front Suspension Braces. I have had the Front Braces on the car for about the past 6 weeks. The Front Braces were a definite improvement in the response of the car while turning. No more marshmallow sensation when making quick turns left/right and then returning left/right like what would be experienced in a slalom. However, there was a bit of twitchy-ness in the rear. Additionally, the rear was a bit bouncy going over bumps at low speed. After two days with the TOM'S Rear Suspension Brace, the car now handles like it should have handled straight from the factory. Absolutely no marshmallow-ness. With the rear suspension brace installed, there is no twitchy-ness in the rear. Also, the bouncy sensation while going over bumps is gone. What really justified the front and rear suspension braces was a trip right after installation of the rear brace over a twisty-curvy section of road on the S.F. Peninsula. I could push the car to the point where I was getting the benefit of the wider (205 mm) tires. Without any bracing, the car just rolled (or wallowed) past a certain point. Rolling/wallowing has been completely banished. The best part was when I was going downhill and passed a MINI - the expression (Wth is that Prius doing passing me!!!!) on the MINI drivers' face in the rearview was priceless. Admittedly, the MINI driver didn't know how to really drive their car; otherwise I would not have gotten anywhere near them, but still the look was priceless.

With my installation, I experienced approximately a 1/8 inch clearance issue between the gas tank and the cross bar on the A-frame of the rear brace. Adding flat washers and longer bolts at the ends of the A frame will open the clearance between the gas tank and the cross bar.

All-in-all, a great addition to the Prius. And a big THANK YOU to SaeGai06 for providing photos of the Suspension Brace installation. The photos really helped supplement the cryptic diagrams that came with the Rear Brace.