1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tonneau cover help! (two eco)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tbloemer, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have a 2017 eco and no Tonneau cover. I want one, but not going to pay for the $550 one, so the flimsy one will do. However, i dont have any mounting brackets at all. is what you are describing in the holes in the side molding part #s 2 and 3 on this product picture:
    [​IMG]

I want to buy the cover but want to make sure i buy any necessary pieces with it. see my picture of the cutouts i have.

I also have no "hooks" to attach the ropes to the truck so that it raises when i open it. That i think can be fixed by me manually attaching some type of hooks with glue or something, but i am more concerned about buying the right parts to fit into the holes of this side inside of the trunk [​IMG]

georgenc and RCO like this.
  2. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    please someone take a picture of the attachment points and the little hooks on the lift gate (trust me, i dont have any hooks on my lift gate- yes, crazy toyota would make 2 separate molds to remove such tiny hooks- but i think i can easily create some just want to see where they are located and what they look like)

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a lot of help, but you could check out at a dealership

georgenc likes this.
  4. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my dealership is pretty oblivious when i try to describe my problem. they aren't too smart when it comes to the differences in trims. Although i have to admit, it is crazy toyota would change the trunk lid molding to not have little tiny hooks on the eco and not any other one.

5. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
  6. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i actually found a site that a friend from work with a prius uses all the time where you can order parts directly from Japan. Got the rollout cover (the one that is ~$500 in US) for $196, same part #, OEM and all. $200 for the flimsy cover is outrageous (literally is a sun shade, probably cost less than $2 to make), just like $500 for the good one is (should cost $100). I've had toyotas in the past and was always happy with how reasonable the prices were for things like this, but i have to say, the hassle and price to get a roll out cover for my trunk has made me utterly shocked. Love the car a lot, but in no world are their prices for things like that OK.

$500 for a Tonneau cover is what Ferarri and Porsche charge.

7. cloudshift

cloudshift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been in search of a tonneau cover for my 2017 Two Eco as well, and am amazed at the pricing, and still annoyed the car didn't come with one in the first place. Did you have to install any parts to get the tonneau cover to work? I installed the vertical cargo net, and it came with some clips, and you just had to pop off these plastic covers, remove a screw, place these net holders/clips on, then replace screw, and pop on a different plastic cover (that is a pretty horrible description, but I found the instructions here somewhere... hopefully it makes some sense).

Anyway, I'm still looking for some sort of tonneau cover, but the pricing has kept me from bothering to make a purchase.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Eco seems a strange marketing move: charge $500~ more than the Two, and strip out: spare, rear wiper, and tonneau cover? (n)

georgenc and CoastRider like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Apparently they stripped out the cover due to adding TSS-P????
    2016 had the cover IIRC.

georgenc likes this.
  10. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excuse me for being blunt, but that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of... not including the hooks for a cargo cover? And then charging crazy ridiculous prices to buy them?! Not to mention the 500 bucks for the cover itself! :eek: Is not having a cargo cover supposed to save gas somehow? :ROFLMAO: That flimsy cover sure is heavy!

Excuse me again, but I always believed that the Two ECO is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. The gas mileage on that model is no better than any other one. And the tires are no different than any other model of Prius, but they tell you to over-inflate them. But you DO get a special heat reflecting windshield? Hopefully it won't crack! :(

Sorry about those comments, maybe you can find the parts you need on eBay, at a better price.

georgenc and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I seem to recall seeing a thread about a 2016 Eco- and that guy was looking for a cargo cover too.

georgenc likes this.
  12. Tbloemer

Tbloemer New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, sorry its been a while since ive checked the forum. Update is that i found a site where you can order parts direct from japan (google IMPEX japan) and copy and paste the exact part number (searching the site is hard because half of the time its not in english). A friend from work gave me the tip and assured me its legit so i trusted him. Well i ended up getting the official nice pull out cover- the $580 one if bought in the US- for $260 after all taxes and shipping and paypal fees. Yes, its a ton of money, but the fiance insisted we have a cover for trips and it was half off the MSRP. I highly suggest all of you check that site before ordering anything at full price. Note this thing was fairly large and weighed about 6lbs and cost $50 to ship (thats part of the price i quoted). Also it only took like 3 days to get from japan because they use express international.

Another update is the same friend from work was nice enough to give me a full size official prius spare wheel, of which i put a new tire on and put in the wheel holder in the trunk where the useless foam went. I built a very nice new trunk floor/box thing, painted it black and put the prius mat over it and it looks like i have a regular 2 floor (lays perfectly flat) AND i have a full size spare now. Still get 72MPG on my work commutes and average over 1,400 miles is 63MPG. I think im finally happy.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am glad you were able to work things out.
    My Two only has the space saver spare although the manual makes reference to a full-size spare. I assume yours is the temporary one too, correct?

georgenc likes this.
  14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the full size spare is available in some regions (e.g. Middle East)

15. cloudshift

cloudshift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you need any parts other than 64910-47060-c0? Congrats on satisfaction/happiness! :)

16. georgenc

georgenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I have the same problem with my new 2017 Eco two. can not find the parts Number, maybe they don't make them at all. I just leave the rope hanging down. they still work.

#16 georgenc, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
  17. georgenc

georgenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I found this photo, I'm looking for the window hooks too.

Attached Files:

18. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For those interested in the lightweight tonneau cover, called the Type B luggage cover in the Owner’s Manual, it seems from my research that the following parts would be needed for a complete installation, with hooks at three points on each side. As shown in Figure 64-04, Deck Board & Deck Trim Cover:
    • COVER ASSEMBLY, TONNEAU, 64910-47070 (Quantity 1) (List Price $108.58)
    • HOOK, ROPE. BLACK, 66311-47030-C0 (Quantity 2) (List Price $13.96)
    • HOOK, ROPE, NO. 2. BLACK, 66312-47010-C0 (Quantity 2) (List Price $2.33)
    If the existing left and right back door side garnishes do not have hooks, they must also be replaced. As shown in Figure 67-08, Back Door Panel & Glass:
    • GARNISH, BACK DOOR SIDE, RH, 67937-47070-C0 (Quantity 1) (List Price $55.88)
    • GARNISH, BACK DOOR SIDE, LH, 67938-47070-C0 (Quantity 1) (List Price $55.88)
    Unlike the rolling (Type A) tonneau cover kindly mentioned by @Tbloemer, none of these parts is used on Prius cars sold in Japan, so IMPEX JAPAN or other exporters probably won’t have them. Many dealers in the U.S. sell them online at a discount, however.

When replacing the garnishes, the back door trim upper trim panel assembly is removed temporarily; see the Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com) for the procedure. The garnishes and trim panel assembly are held in place with clips, 90467-10161, list price $1.26, which are replaced only if broken.

My car also came with a tonneau cover bag, which doesn’t seem to be listed separately in the parts catalog. If someone orders the 64910-47070 part listed above, perhaps they’ll be able to tell us whether the bag is included. The bag is made of fabric and has a label with some fascinating warning notices:

TonneauCoverBag.jpg

19. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The attack of the killer tonneau cover! :eek:

georgenc, Prodigyplace and RCO like this.
  20. georgenc

georgenc New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Very True.