1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too Early to talk about 2012 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Doug, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The 2010 has made some nice improvements but not the significant type like new material in the battery or a plug in. What is in store for these improvements to make it to the dealers lot?

2. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We could see 35-40 mile range PHEV version of the Prius by 2011 when Toyota replaces the current NiMH battery pack an equivalent sized Li-On or zinc-air battery pack.

3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had my 08 for nearly a year and was surprised there wasn't more included in the 2010 Prius, I'm glad I bought when I did, I prefer the looks of the 2G model. If the 2010 had a plug-in option, I'd have bought one by now :) So no it's not too soon to talk about the 2012 model. I've got to go in for an oil change next week, perhaps I'll tell my salesman to call me when the Prius can "plug in". LOL.

4. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

only plugins will have new types of batteries...

people forget these are cars, not computers that you dispose after 2-3 years. Technology needs to be R&D and used for long time to pay off that R&D.

NiMH will be used in hybrids for very, very long time.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I just don't see them putting lithium ion in the prius as early as 2011... Maybe 2012 but 2011 is too soon. They're not the type of company to rush into something without really doing r&d on it extensively.

6. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does Toyota do their own research or are they parners with other groups to consolidate their research in looking to improve battery technology? I have read that a group here and there, have promising battery improvements and would hope they would share their findings so we, as the consumer can have these improvements find their way to the real products on our real streets to cut down on real pollution soon.

7. gtarr

gtarr New Member

Toyota is partnered with panasonic on current and nextgen batteries