1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Midpack, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a sale pending on a 2012 Prius III. They are selling me the car for under invoice, giving me $9000 for my trade in, it's not worth more than $5000 per several online estimates. With gas prices on the increase, I am surprised I got much of a discount at all especially on a Prius. I am wondering how it's even possible?

I don't want to accuse anyone, but in my state they are not required to disclose damage unless it's more than 4% of the value of the car. Any suggestions before I close the deal?

The car was at another dealer when it arrived, assuming it was involved in a dealer trade? The car has 37 miles on it, so it's not a demo?

2. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    use the VIN to pull up a carfax report

3. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would a new car be entered in Carfax? I don't want to pay $40 for a no report.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well look at it this way, if it only has 37 Miles on it? It wasn't demonstrated much.

Just ask. If it was a dealer trade, and was driven from the other dealership, that could easily explain the 37 miles.

But I would just ask the dealership. 37 miles is low enough in anycase that I wouldn't worry about it. It's a new car in anycase.

The only thing I know from experience? Is sometimes dealers will trade each other their "problem" vehicles.

My latest vehicle was a dealer trade...and I went with my salesman to pick it up. The vehicle THEY were trading with the other dealer? Had to be jump started because the battery had run down. The salesman just laughed and said it was the OTHER dealers problem now....

My vehicle only had 6 miles on it, and hasn't had a problem. Even though we immediately put about 40 miles on it driving it back to the dealership I was buying from...

5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Unfortunately, Carfax doesn't always reveal everything either. Usually it could take up to three months before accident damage would show up.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Under invoice or MSRP? Big difference between the two. Someone here did buy a 2012 near the invoice price so it's not implausible.

Have you checked the VIN on toyota owners site? Any damage repaired by Toyota would show up there. That's how someone found out after he bought the car there was some damage repaired by Toyota. The number of miles on the car is meaningless if some technician caused the damage during prep, moving around, etc.

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
  8. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MSRP $28328 + $698 protection pkg (no choice)
    Sale price $25000 + TTL
    Below invoice as far as I can tell.

Checked online (thanks), only entry was per-delivery service. I assume that's routine.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not real clear about what you are worried about?

I think you are just speculating that perhaps it was involved in some damage causing accident. But if it was so minor that the Dealership wouldn't be required to reveal it? Then they wouldn't have to give you a discount on the price either. I mean just because you are getting a "good deal" doesn't necessarily mean their is any hidden story. In my experience? Unless it is something they can't hide, then a dealership isn't going to give you a discount.

In anycase, If you have concerns? The first step would be to simply ask. Was this vehicle a demonstrator? Was it a dealer trade? As far as you know was it involved in any accident or damage and repair? They might deny any knowledge, they might even lie...but if you show concern and threaten to back out? You might even get them to pay for a Car Fax, or Run the VIN at the Toyota site for you.

I can say getting a vehicle with 37 miles on it, or more....is not uncommon. Getting a great deal....probably rarer...but not necessarily indicative that their is some "hidden evil".

10. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With everything that other members have said, if they sell you a lemon, just take em to court.

11. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    its not demo. demo would have up to 4-5k on it and not registered..
    Every car comes with3-5 miles on them, the rest of the miles comes from test drives. it will have more after dealer drives it to your dealership.we had runner that drives car from dealer to dealer.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Selling a new Prius at or near invoice is not unusual. My '12 Four is $500 over invoice. Certain used cars have a high value these days.

You can look over the car and compare how body panels line up with other panels next to them. Compare how it looks to other Prii on the lot. Usually if it had a major body repair there will be some signs of tape/paint marks and/or body panels that line up slightly different than a factory original car.

Mike

iPhone :)

13. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wasn't concerned about the mileage, just trying to take demo out of the picture.

Just left the dealer, they said it was a dealer trade, and assured me it had never been damaged. Again, they say I got it for $300 under invoice (I'm aware of holdbacks) and a "$698" protection package thrown in. Just hard for me to believe with gas prices at US record highs. Best deal I've made in 57 years.

So I paid for the Prius, signed over my trade in title and drove off. I guess the Prius III is mine now! Guess I can update my profile.

Thanks to those of you who were quick to help me.

1 person likes this.