1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too many codes. Would like some help. P3000, B2799, P0446, P0A84, B1411

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kindleprius, Nov 9, 2022.

1. kindleprius

kindleprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All,

I recently had the dreaded VSC light come on, and with help from this fourm posts, replaced two modules that were reading below 15V. All 14 pack voltages are 17.2 and above now. However, driving back a few evening ago, the MIL light first came on, and then the VSC lights.

I logged some of the data and have attached them here.

As far as the emission control is concerned, I checked the gas cap and to my untrained eyes, they seems fine with no discernible degradation to the seals.

I would appreciate any advice on what I can do myself to fix, and what I can safely ignore.

Thank you in advance

EDIT1: I got the attached freeze frame with the ignition on, but car not completely powered up.
    Reading other posts, it seems I should completely power up the care and read the freezeframe data again for sub-codes. Is my understanding right?

Attached Files:

#1 kindleprius, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, not sure what other posts you saw, but IG-ON is fine. Your subcodes are in what you attached. For your P3000 it is 123, and for your B2799 it is 541.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would look at the P0A84- battery cooling fan circuit low. A common cause for that is a (white) connector in the right rear of the car's interior gets wet and corrodes. The water comes from tiny cracks in the body sealant around the upper corners of the tailgate opening (from the tailgate lift cylinder mount up & under the rubber covers for the roof "drip channel").

You have to remove the large plastic trim panel on the right side of the cargo area to reach the fan connector. Sometimes you can clean the connector, sometimes you have to splice the wires around it.

Other problems can cause this code but seem to occur much less often.

If the car starts and runs, I would clear the P2799 and worry about it if it returns.

P3000 is "hey, the battery ecu has a code" - (the P0A84)

P0446 is an (fuel tank) vapor emissions code for the gas engine. Deal with it when you have to. (I usually fix problems like this because if the check engine light is on all the time, you won't know if another fault pops up). This code is saying that the ECM didn't see the fuel tank vapor pressure reading that it expected- and it is "blaming" one of the solenoid valves at the tank.

If I wanted to chase this problem, the first thing I would do is to get close to the fuel tank while using a capable scantool (one that "talks" to all ecu's on a Gen2 prius and has bidirectional controls).

I would use the controls to command the canister close solenoid valve (aka "vent" valve) open and closed while listening for a slight "thump" noise. If the valve is quiet, then it is likely stuck (or might have a circuit fault).

I repeat the process for the evaporative emissions vacuum solenoid valve (aka the "switching" valve).

You can find more details in the service manual write-ups for each code.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. kindleprius

kindleprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the great explanation.
    Is techstream with the miniVCI a "capable scantool"? I am comfortable following the service manual write-ups but the mini-VCI and a questionable techstream installation (via Ebay) is all I have at my disposal now.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Techstream is what the Toyota folks use, so it's definitely capable, as long as you get it to work. :)