1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too many Other Car subforums

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by Trollbait, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looking for the Toyota sub forum, I noticed that there was a separate one for Lexus and for the Rav4 EV. With Rivian, Jeep PHEVs, and others possibly arriving soon, perhaps it is time for some house keeping.

The general diesel, EV, and FCEV forums can probably just be part of the main Other Cars, as itself doesn't get much love. Leaving the subforums for just manufacturer specific topics.

I don't think I've kept tax records as long as the Th!nk forum has last seen use.

Of course, I suggest this without a clue of how much work it means for @Tideland Prius.

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sure let’s try to lessen the threats of these other manufacturers models - sweep them under rug.

3. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Where did I say anything about getting rid of any brand forum that was still in production? I even indirectly mentioned that FCA isn't present, and it has had a PHEV available in the US for a couple years now.

You truly don't read anything, do you?

bisco likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Chill dude! it's just that the original presentation made sense for something with about four choices, but the field has grown and the discussions will now include what, 14 going on 30?

@Trollbait was politely asking for some admin brush-up to help it serve the readership better. There's no assassination plot in there.

iplug and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What am I missing here?

Why being so defensive, just stating what I read and it sounds like FCVE should be eliminated because of lack of love, and placed into other vehicles category instead of having its own category.

#5 orenji, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2020
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Since when is diesel, EV and FCEV a brand?

I am suggesting that topics on those technologies in general should go in the main other cars forum, and anything brand specific go in the respective brand one. Instead of a Toyota hybrid, Lexus hybrid, and Rav4 EV forum, we have a Toyota/Lexus one not limited to a drive type.

The thing lacking love is the main Other Car forum. It sees less activity than some of the subforums. Then much of the topics for it and the subforums get posted in the news section.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see. Well in that case I concur! Grouping models from one manufacturer would make sense.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I believe @Danny is the only one that can make the decisions you are suggesting.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He is only the keeper of the peace.
    He is NOT in any way responsible (and probably not capable) of making any changes to the software.

And the owner doesn't care.
    Good luck.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    His okay is needed, but I think @Tideland Prius had added the Lucid subforum, so he might have the access necessary.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and that lucid forum is a real barn burner (y)

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe we should have a newbie manufacturer forum for the start up manufacturers until they show they'll be around for a bit:)

Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has Lucid even started sales yet in America?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    limpid motors

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I agree that Toyota and Lexus can be combined and the RAV4 EV thrown as a child forum (like the Volt in the GM section).

I prefer to keep the diesel/EV/FCEV separate since "Other Cars" is mostly for ICE or other car-related chat.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was thinking of ending the limit on the subforums for brand/manufacturer to just hybrids or EVs. Many new cars here have start/stop systems, and mild hybrid systems are spreading to more models along with the full ones. Hybrids are no longer a novelty. Soon there won't be much plain, pure ICE stuff to chat about.

I also figure it would make deciding which forum to post in easier. Take a Toyota diesel(they do still make them). The obvious place for the topic is the diesel section, but the topic also covers material that has nothing to do with diesels; Other cars? Diesel hybrids have been made and sold, what if it is about Toyota experimenting with one; Toyota hybrids then? Under my proposal, it's a Toyota, so it goes in the Toyota section regardless of being a diesel, hybrid, fuel cell using diesel fuel, Safety Sense, or Toyota window switches. Then topics not specific to a single manufacturer will go into the main Other cars section.

Reorganization can also go the other way. Get rid of the brand forums, and just have a technology/drive train subforums. Four of the ten topics currently in the Other Cars section is because there isn't a subforum for those brands, nor a PHEV one. We could add them all to the subforum list, but going with manufacturer or technology will ease things by reducing decision paralysis.

What started me on this was the main page layout. I was looking for the Toyota subforum, and had to pay closer attention to things without the new posting highlights. For me, using Firefox, the subforums are listed as three columns in the Other Cars box. Of the 18 subforums, only the titles of four fit within the column width. Some still won't with dropping the "hybrids and EVs" from them, but then some will.

17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ICE is off-topic and belongs in FHOP. Other car related chat is either news or FHOP.

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the Priuschat Forums group, which includes this section, FHoP, and Environmental, there is an Other Cars section. The are subforums there for general EVs, FCEVs, and diesels, plus ones for specific brand's hybrids and EVs. Since nothing says otherwise, the main Other Car forum is for anything car related.