1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too many rectangles, not enough gas.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nor.Prius, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello!

I am new to owning a Prius since buying a 2004 Prius in October of 2016, and now that I've filled it up a few times, I have some questions regarding fuel economy, and general maintenance, and possible upgrades. So, let's look at the data I've collected. (Data is attached as image.) For reference I live in southern New Mexico, the climate is temperate to warm, and generally the roads are fairly flat.

1) I guess what I'm wondering is are the numbers I'm seeing reasonable for the car as it is?

2) Except for two gas fill ups (Oct 24th, 2016 & Nov 4th, 2016) I've filled up each time the gas gauge starts flashing and saying low fuel. Seems to sit at about 7 and a half gallons. Is there a way to fix this considering (to my understanding) the fuel tank is supposedly larger?

3) Is there a definitive guide to improving miles per gallon?

4) The battery has never been reconditioned or anything in the lifetime. Might this effect fuel efficiency, despite the lack of full out failure of the battery, and what symptoms should I be looking for to determine that the battery may be beginning to fail?

5) The last oil change was performed by jiffy-lube around the late 137,000 mile mark. I was planning on doing an oil change at about 142,000 miles. What oil should I use, and how long can I expect it to last?

6) Are there any maintenance things I should be aware of?

7) I have a friend with a 2009, and it looks like his dashboard computer has a newer firmware version or UI skin. Is there a way to hack this onto my 2004?

8) What's the possibility of replacing the stereo head unit for an Apple CarPlay compatible one/would it be better to just add one of the aftermarket aux port adapters?

Thanks,
    -Nor

Attached Files:

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) Yes. My Gen 2 got worse MPG fast above 60 MPH. At 60 MPH it honestly rivals the Gen 3.

2) The North American Gen 2 has an internal bladder in the fuel tank, late afternoon in the summer I could get 11 gallons, winter mornings yielded 8 gallons in MS. This also affects the distance you go before the first pip disappears, Summer 160 miles, Winter 60 miles. On given tanks, the bladder may fold oddly giving varying range. My advice is to not wait until the last pip blinks.

4) A failing battery will swing rapidly between empty and full.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/MSTOYALL04_MS0011/pdf/01omsour/2004/schedmai/04w1smt.pdf

5) 5w-30 every 5,000 miles

6) Beyond the maintenance in the manual, I would recommend draining and filling the ATF WS in the transaxle routinely. Perhaps every 60,000 to 90,000 miles.

7) It is different hardware, you would need a new unit, new wiring harness, new sensors. Nothing is impossible, but I wouldn't.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    1) yes.
    2) try letting the tank breathe for a few minutes before filling. fill slowly, holt the handle at 45 or 90 degrees.
    3) no, nut there's a sticky in the gen 2 forums that might help.
    4) might be a good time to start reconditioning the battery. see @jeff652 .
    5) see jimbo^^^
    6) follow the owners manual, take jimbo's advice, and keep your eye on the 12 volt battery.
    7) no
    8) get a new h/u.
    9) all the best!(y)

4. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4) Can I recondition my battery without buying the $450 kit from them? Linked here: hybridautomotive.___/collections/store/products/prolong-battery-reconditioning-package?variant=5576310276

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm the wrong person to ask, but there are some great battery threads here, where people disassemble them, use some type of model chargers to charge the individual cells i think. one good one was started by member @ryousideways .

6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Yes, 39 and a half overall miles per gallon is reasonable. Your miles per gallon may improve in the summer due to different gasoline mixtures
    2. Since the car has a fuel bladder, the gas your car takes to fill up will vary. Nothing can be done about it as far as I know
    3. There are some good guides here and on Youtube. Some common suggestions are "pulse and glide" (quickly get up to speed then have your foot just barely on the gas pedal to travel on momentum and prevent regenerative braking from kicking in), don't go much above the speed limit, brake slowly over as long a distance as is practicable, use low rolling resistance tires, and inflate tires to 42 PSI in front and 40 PSI in back (as long as that pressure is within tire limits)
    4. A failing battery will drop fuel efficiency. You can tell if the battery is close to failure if the display in the Energy section shows the battery with 2 bars when you first get in your car for the day and if it quickly charges up to 7 bars then drops back down to 2 bars while driving
    5. 5W30 oil is recommended, and maintenance schedule is every 5000 miles
    6. Some forum members recommend draining and filling the transmission fluid every 30,000-60,000 miles
    7. There's a new thread by Texas Battery Systems about that. They'll ship you the parts if you can install them
    8. You can always put in an aftermarket stereo if you want, but you'd want to check compatability with steering wheel controls if you wanted to use them. I'd think adding an auxilary port to the existing one would be easier

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5. 5W-30 oil is recommended, and maintenance schedule is every 5000 miles using dino oil. You can use a 10,000 mi OCI if you use full Synthetic oil and a genuine Toyota 90915-10003 oil filter or equivalent. The 90915-10003 filters are made in China to Toyota specs as opposed 90915-YZxxx filters made in Thailand, which I wouldn't use for a 10,000 mi interval, but ok for a 5,000 mi interval.

8. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RIGHT, so. After further research, I determined that maybe, just maybe, it would be time to pick up some shiny new spark plugs since I had no record of them being changed since, well, ever. So I pulled one out, did some research, and found out that it needed to be changed, and spent 30$ at Auto Zone on a four pack of Bosch Iridium plugs, and got them all in. Anyways, MPG is up by about 5-7mpg in stop and go traffic, and about 15-20mpg for freeway driving. Car also goes like a stabbed rat now, so I'd say it was worth it. Also just filled up today too so let's see how well this tank does.

Picture attached is crappy old 141,000 mile spark plug.

Attached Files:

mmmodem likes this.
  9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Back of a plug looks rusty (part of it that’s not cowered by socket in the picture). Maybe rain water has gotten into the spark plug tubes? How is your cowl seal?

10. Nor.Prius

Nor.Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Everything looked pretty good. I know the car was in California for most of it's life, so higher humidity level could have made it rust a little.