1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too much transmission fluid consequences?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by brick, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm, interesting. Same as the new Amsoil ATF, it claims being appropriate for the new Dexron spec *and* WS

2. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The problem is, what's the worst that could happen if the fluid isn't appropriate? You could destroy the transaxle and it won't be covered by warranty. :eek:

There's no evidence that the official Toyota WS fluid is bad, so I think paying a few extra bucks for the official stuff is worth it. You'll only be buying a few quarts over the life of the car anyway.

3. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, as far as we know! The problem I have is that Toyota did not make a special fluid for the Prius. This the same fluid they use in all the vehicles as far as I know. That means it is a compromise between lubrication and clutch/band compounds. It appears all the Prius needs is a first class lubricant that does not dissolve industrial wire coatings. Many Toyota's over the years have used dextron fluid with great results as well as some Dodges, Fords, and many other brands. It is possible that the WS is some super fluid that protects the Prius gear box. However, I do not believe that and have to wonder if Mobil 1 Transmission fluid would be better.