1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Too Tall?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sounds_great, Jul 6, 2006.

1. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As Evan said, check if your thighs rest on the seat. Mine don't, and that causes my butt to get uncomfortable after a couple of hours on the road.

I'll have to try something like he uses, something to get some weight to be supported by the backs of my thighs. Might help.

And at some point I'm gonna find a shop to modify the seat rails, like NYPrius did.

2. molgrips

molgrips Member

A telescopic steering wheel would be all I need to make the driving position perfect... At 5'11 and 32" inseam I am quite average, yet I have to reach slightly for the wheel. I wonder if someone could mod it to protude a little more.

Anyway, my Euro version has a lever to crank the seat up and down, which your guys' apparently don't. I put it up a little and it's better, still would rather have the tele wheel tho...

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Jul 28 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]294157[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, how much does this sort of modification cost?

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Aug 4 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]297882[/snapback]</div>
    I had it done at New England Wheels in Billerica, MA. They charged just under $300. It took less than 4 hours to do.

Actually, I had the mod done twice. The first time, I went to a handicap retrofitter who had never done a mod like this. I thought they could figure something out though. They installed plates that extended backwards and mounted the seat rail pedestals to the plates. It moved the seat back, but also raised it and tilted it backwards. I had them put it back to the original position. They refunded my money since they didn't meet the specs I requested (ie: same seat angle, not higher, lower if possible, back 2-3 inches).

After them, I continued to look around. I was fortunate to find NE Wheels. They've done this mod many times before. My suggestion to those considering this mod is don't let some experiment on your car. Find someone that's done the mod. Very tall people have these mods done all the time. There must be many places around the country that do them. Try calling the local basketball team and ask who modifies their cars. Or if you're near Boston, go to NE Wheels.

5. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

I am 6'6" and I have hip and leg pain. I have a 36-38" inseam. I have tried putting pillows and other things (towels) under my leg to help with the lack of support. So far I have not found anything good.

Any suggestions on THIGH support and HIP support?

6. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's the web site for New England Wheels:

http://www.newenglandwheels.com/index.html

I noticed that they also have dealers in other states, so maybe I can have the seat modified without having to visit their main location.

I may check them out and look into modifying my Prius to allow the driver's seat more movement to the rear. I'd like to be able to use an Obus Forme backrest. Being able to move the seat back further would help.

By the way, contact Toyota if you aren't happy about the seat. They responded to my email on the subject and I had a long talk with a Toyota representative. Supposedly this will be reviewed by Toyota.

I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam. I have plenty of headroom. I'd prefer the seat itself were tipped up more in front for better support. I don't particularly like the shape of the seat back, which I can modify with an add-on seat back. It just seems like the seat is designed for a shorter person, which I'm sure it was.

Harry

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    6'-5" 220 and evenly perportioned, and all is well. I mention perportion, because apparently some folks are built like real aliens. One thread jokingly stated, 'you ought to get back in your saucer and return to what ever planet you came from'. :lol:

ok, so we're not always as sensitive as we ought to be, but you'll likely do fine

8. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    6'6" here, 240 lbs. Only thing that bothers me is that the armrests are too low for my elbows.

9. sounds_great

sounds_great Junior Member

Wow, I started this topic more than a year ago! I finally took the plunge last Friday! The splash was excellent!!!!

2007 Seaside Pearl #6

While the car is obviously not engieered for people of my height, it is definately doable. I have driven for about an hour and ten minutes so far. No discomfort. I don't even keep my seat all the way back. If I could modify it, I would extend the area where the feet go. I don't want to sit further back.

10. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh. I was telling my parents that my 6'5" "little brother" probably wouldn't be comfortable in a Prius. Should definitely take it back and have him give it a proper try.