1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took 2011 Prius in For Diag, Car came out undrivable.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Prius2010owner, May 12, 2023.

1. Prius2010owner

Prius2010owner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Car wasn't pushing as quickly from stop to 20mpg as it used to for the last week. I knew something was wrong.
    3 days later an engine light finally came on, I stopped driving the car.

Made an appointment with Toyota Dealership. The initial diag was $220, Service salesman, claimed that they were not able to determine the problem. They had to put a scope in the cylinder, which was an extra $110

Results
    Code P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    P0304 Misfire Detected

Found Coolant Leaking into the cylinder #2.
    Suggest teardown, possible head gasket blown

Mind you, I was able to drive the car to the dealership just fine, which was 15 miles away from me via the streets. I decided to take the car to my mechanic, I get to the dealership, pay them, get my keys, and the car's engine is shaking violently. I instantly turn the car off and look at the person and say what the **** was that?

Three techs come to my car and start checking a number of things, and then look at the invoice and claim, the issue is that you refused to fix your car. And I need to talk to one of the service tech and figure out what to do.

A little bit of background, after the Diagnostics and me picking up the car. The dealership or my service sales rep claimed the job would cost $5000. When I said I would think about it. He called me (no joke) 3 hours later. And requoted me $3300 instead. I would never be crazy enough to let a dealership fix anything anyway. But I just found it finally that I got a $1700 discount by simply doing nothing.

Anyway, I was planning on taking it to a mechianic anyway to see if it was worth fixing.

Here's the million dollar question. I took my car to the dealership and it was still drivable. I get my car from the dealership the engine is shaking to the point that it's about to fall out of it's brackets. The entire car was literally shaking. What are my options???

Any advice is welcomed!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they forgot to tighten the spark plug or reconnect the wiring.

ask them for the trouble codes, you paid for them

wirelessjava likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me know if you want to sell the car. Or if you want to fix the bad head gasket, I know a mechanic that will do it for much less than $3300

4. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How long was it at the dealership? I suppose it's feasible that you do have a head gasket leak and it didn't really show itself in that way until you got it back because it sat longer allowing more coolant into the cylinder before the engine ran. Or it could just be that the issue just finally reached that point. I don't blame you for taking it somewhere else, but I don't think you can say with any certainty that they messed it up more than it was.

5. Prius2010owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it's not about the money. it's about if the money is worth it to fix. There is another thread that claims even fixing this problem is a temp fix and the gasket will probably blow again in 20 miles.

People simply replace the engine with a 2017 prius instead.

6. Prius2010owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It sat there for 24 hours while they did the test. And another 2-3 days before I could pick it up.
    Of course I can't. That's why I'm asking this question.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How about a rebuilt engine for the dealer's discounted hg price? Another 150k miles and no hg problems or oil burning. Hybridpit around the corner.

IMG_2046.jpeg

#7 rjparker, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s the miles on it?

Grit likes this.
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the guy just did it wrong the quote wrong the first time and called to offer the correction. ($3300 is a lot closer to right for a gasket job)

Either way I like rjparker's solution. Very good hybrid shop near you that can check out the rest of your car and tell you whether it is worth reinvesting.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unknown. There are more and more posts not indicating how many miles on the engine so I just assume odometer is broken or need new dashboard display.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They clearly broke it. Lawyer up like most people here say they will do.

12. Prius2010owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sorry, I don't know what you're saying. I'm not a car guy to understand all of your jokes or references.

120k.

"How about a rebuilt engine for the dealer's discounted hg price?" What does this mean? Can you explain it?

There was another thread that talked about buying salvaged 2017 prius engines, because they fit the same as the 2010's.

120k, I don't use this forum all that much, so I didn't know the miles were required to make a post. I didn't think to post the mileage, cause I didn't think it would be relevant to this post about my car vs the dealership.

But In respect to the future of my car and the decision I make moving forward. It is very relevant of course.

I don't know how I would go about proving this was their fault. That is the problem. I didn't document how the car ran before taking it to them. It would require the honesty of the tech who looked at my car to prove the engine wasn't shaking. I guess the fact they never document the engine was shaking anywhere in the docs. Could be proof? This was a good life lesson. I'm going to be much more anal about taking videos of my car before and after giving it to anyone.

So this morning the dealership called me back. And the "Master Tech". Claimed they ran the car for a little while longer and the car is working fine now. The engine had to burn off the coolant and the car went back to normal.

Either way, It doesn't matter, the car is simply going to another shop for them to give me a real quote and for me to decide what to do.

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  13. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So RJ was talking about the cost from the dealer to replace your hg or Head Gasket was $3,300. There is a business in SoCal near you called the HYBRID PIT. http://www.hybridpit.com they sell rebuilt engines with new gasket,rings,and HG's head Gaskets that are complete and ready to be installed for about the same price. So when faced with your choice....a lot of people if they want to keep their car will buy a new engine from the Hybrid Pit for $3,000ish and have a local mechanic install it. Then you are starting over with an engine that will last you another 150K or more miles. But if your car was doing the "death rattle" in the morning that is usually a sign that the HG (head gasket) is on the way out. It just depends on if you want to keep this car and repair or invest in new.(y)

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    “Burn off the coolant”, interesting explanation (n)

15. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Grit's comment was a joke, mine was not.

I believe a rebuild on these engines is far better than a head gasket job, which is your car's problem. Head gasket problems are very common on these Prius engines, 2010-15 on the hatchback and 2012-17 on the Prius v wagon. Bad pistons and rings are also common on 2010-14 Prius hatchbacks and v wagons.

These subjects are discussed every week here, sometimes every day. You pay a dealer for turnkey service, you don't need to know much. This is a technically oriented free forum, so generally you have to do some reading, ask thoughtful questions, provide as much detail as possible, and seek to understand. Including your location. You might live in Los Angeles or Louisiana as far as I know. We don't get to test drive your car, put it on a lift, use a borescope inspection tool or scan it with Techstream.

So for free advice you are our eyes, ears and tools. Having a good attitude and patience in a stressful situation has the potential to give you great results that last. How would you feel if you paid the dealer $3300 and the problem returned in 1-12 months. It happens. My dealer won't even offer a head gasket repair.

[By the way, "do not pass go do not collect $200" means something must be done now without delays or deviations. It is a reference to the classic Monopoly board game but it was intended to be serious advice here]

#15 rjparker, May 13, 2023
    Last edited: May 13, 2023
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Take it to hybrid pit and have them go over the car. Then you can make a better-informed decision on whether it is worth spending the money to buy a replacement engine from them.

Buying an engine from them is a better cure than re-gasketing your old one, and that shop does enough of them that even at $3k it is cheaper and better than you'll get from most anywhere else.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think technically their name is Hybrid Pit Stop, but even their web address doesn’t reflect that.

Grit likes this.
  18. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could be worse, Prius overlanding is no. 1 in sketchyness.

19. Aboo

Aboo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have used Gasket Masters, out of CA. They charge about $2500, but do a splendid job, if possible right at your own premises.Every few months, they do make a country wide tour, repairing Prius Gen 3s, mainly blown head gaskets. Your car does not have much mileage, so you will still get a lot out of it, after the repairs.

20. Mr. F

Mr. F Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not exactly my experience.