1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took Car to Dealer for Diagnostic Work...Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Corwin, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Corwin

Corwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all -

First post here. I recently bought a used 2007 in fantastic condition and with only 90k miles. I absolutely love the car and learning about how it works, but I've also had a couple of issues. The car was due for an oil change, so decided to have the local dealer diagnose a cruise control issue and also a rough idling issue.

The dealer called me back later in the day and mentioned that the cruise control issue was due to a faulty brake light switch and quoted me approx. $125 for replacement. Seems like something I could probably do myself, but would appreciate any tutorials and also recommendations for purchasing the part. The other issue, the rough idle, is apparently due to a faulty ECU, which is some type of computer piece. They quoted me around $1k to remedy this issue, which is too much considering what I paid for the car, and also because its primary usage is for commuting. Still, is this ECU issue something I can repair on my own.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ask them what is the ecu part that needs replacement. Sounds pretty shady

3. Corwin

Corwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can ask them. The receipt just states "needs new ECU" @ $991 and change. This was recommended by the technician, though the service guy that checked me out recommended against it, assuming it's not a major issue and due to cost relative to the age of the vehicle.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you find out exactly what DTC was logged, then it would be easier to say whether an ECU has actually failed or not.

It would also be good to pin down which ECU is recommended for replacement (for example, engine, or hybrid vehicle). Then you could buy a used ECU on eBay for $200 or less, and replace it yourself. Both of those two ECUs are located behind the glove compartment, and access requires removing most of the plastic dashboard pieces.

Regarding the brake switch, you could buy it from any of the Toyota dealers that sell parts over the web at a discount. Autonation Toyota Gulf Freeway (Houston, TX) is one such dealer.

Parts.com is another great website although their parts catalog is not as comprehensive since the website supports multiple manufacturer brands.

Corwin likes this.
  5. Corwin

Corwin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Patrick. The car did throw some codes, so they should be able to provide some specifics.