1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took my 2015 prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) five in for an oil change...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike Moon, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Chippingawayatlife

Chippingawayatlife Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know there was a difference between a Prius lowercase v and uppercase V. What's the uppercase one?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A 2010 (and 2011?) Prius "level 5".

Only 2010 used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation. It causes confusion or can if not used properly.

3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely looks a lot better! Thanks for posting the pictures. The problem I have with black wheels, most the time the average eye doesn't even notice you have actual alloy wheels. Most people take a glance and it looks like you're cheap and your hub caps feel off. I'm really not trying to be rude!

RCO likes this.
  4. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Which one is yours, mike? The silver or the black Prius!

Regarding heat, it's physics, simple and unchangable. Coefficient of absorption is 0.92 for shiny black surfaces to 0.97 (matte black surfaces). What this means is these surfaces will absorb 92-97 % of the solar radiation. Shiny silver surfaces have of coeffient of absorption of 0.09 to 0.14. Meaning they retain 9 to 14 % of the heat, and reflect the rest. The other colors in the toyota stable such as blizzard pearl, sea glass pearl, hypersonic red, vary. But this is why (in addition to looking cool) auto manufacturers favor the light metallic paints

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    110F vs 168F - that's substantial. Yes, it was 13 years ago, so could be a bit different now with different technologies in paint.

Working in the sun? How HOT does your car's paint get?

About 25 years ago, I was looking at a near new car, white, but it didn't end up as good as advertised - there was a red car beside it and the salesman suggested I look at that, as he thought it was in much better condition. I said, no, wouldn't consider red as it gets too hot.

It was a reasonably hot day, all cars had windows up and he suggested I try a touch test. The red was appreciably hotter than the white, then he had me touch a silver car - it was hotter than the red. He said that it was the metallic particles in the paint. Then we went to a black car, which was a bit hotter still than the silver, quite hot. When we went to a metallic black, he warned me to touch it gingerly or I'd burn my hand - it was VERY hot - I reckon I could fry an egg on it.

I bought the (non-metallic) red car - and discovered over the next 10 years that red paint fades and needs continual waxing!!!

I understand that paints have changed dramatically in 25 years, both with the type of particles in metallic paints and they have solar reflection to some extent in clear coats over metallic.

Maybe it's time for a 2017 test.

RCO and tucatz like this.
  6. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My first Prius had a blizzard pearl exterior, beige interior. I could step into it at 5 pm in August after sitting in a summer parking lot for 8 hours and barely break a sweat. 2 minutes of air contitioning and the car was supremely comfortable. My new 2106 touring has an all black interior. Toyota says that the softex seats and steering wheel cover don't retain as much heat. But I will have to wait for warm weather and report back . I hate hate absolutely hate sweating in my car.

Does anyone happen to know the coeficient of absorption for the seaglass Pearl paint color?

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No idea, sorry - maybe borrow this expensive looking camera:

RCO likes this.
  8. Mike Moon

Mike Moon Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I actually agree with this. I still like them. But I agree with you. :)

9. Mike Moon

Mike Moon Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    None of those. I'll take a pic of mine and post it...

10. Mike Moon

Mike Moon Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Wow, that's really interesting info you posted. It definitely sounds like black is a lot hotter for sure. Wish me luck, I'm on my way to a hot Atlanta Summer in this new car!

tucatz likes this.
  11. Mike Moon

Mike Moon Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring