1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took my "hybrid" to the dragstrip..best run was a 14 flat in the 1/4

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by 1SMUGLEX, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did this a couple weeks ago and shared on Clublexus of course. Here is my write up. It really was a different experience than driving a non-hybrid there

At the Entrance

[​IMG]

I took my G/F on a run, actually wan a 14.617 with her and a fun trunk :D This is the view head on from the passenger seat for those that have never dragged their Lexus before. 100.79 MPH
    [​IMG]

My fastest time 14.057...my 2nd run..it was downhill after that :( 14.2, 14.4, 14.6, then a 15 lol..... My battery only had 4 bars at the time....so I had more power but that was my best. It was cooler at the time...
    [​IMG]

Not sure what vehicle that was but I got smoked :D
    [​IMG]

Look at that weight transfer!
    [​IMG]

Hybrid power, all stock engine bay
    [​IMG]

GOATS on the way back!!!!

[​IMG]

VSC was off, VDIM was on. I never could launch right. :sad::sad:

I've gone to the drag strip before and hosted events before but it really was different in a hybrid. Whereas in the past I, like everyone else, just get in the car and go (never used any cooling etc methods on my 400/430, why lol) the 450h is different b/c of the battery......which was kind of a PITA today...

So after a couple runs, I drained my battery down to the low reserve "purple" area, 2 bars or less. Uhhhh....the GS 450h is detuned at 292hp vs the GS 350 303hp (same 3.5 DI engine) and the car does accelerate faster/slower depending on the battery charge.

So I had to drive around some, so the motor would recharge the battery. Coasting also recharges the battery as well as braking. Uhhhhhhhhh So after my 1/4 mile run, instead of exiting off the track at the earlier gate, I would coast to the end like I am in a 8 second drag car trying to get the brakes to recharge the battery :D :D D

There is also a "Flash Charge" I can do, but its only recommended once every 3-4 days or so. It takes about 5 minutes and basically you are charging the battery stationary. My of my runs were with a half full battery to 75% full, I could never charge her up past that. Dammit :D

The other part is I could not get comfy launching the car and it is an issue I've had at "lights". Since its a hybrid, THERE IS NO TORQUE BRAKING!!! lol In the 450h, if you press the gas, NOTHING HAPPENS. It doesn't rev, it doesn't make a sound. I got in 18 runs and still really couldn't figure out the best method for launching. This hurt my times :(

Overall I had fun and it was a VERY DIFFERENT experience taking a hybrid to the drag strip compared to a conventional car. Its hilarious that everyone around is BOOMING and VROOMING and well, I am creeping up to the start up line not making a sound as the car is running on the battery under 20 MPH..... Its funny to see peoples faces like "Wth is this ****".....

I'll post more pics later and link pics of the other cars that were there taken by professionals. A couple of GT-Rs were running against one another and the old school muscle was just killer!

2. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Took my "hybnd" to the dragstrip..best run was a 14 flat in the 1/4

Here are pics of cars that people EXPECT there lol
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Took my "hybnd" to the dragstrip..best run was a 14 flat in the 1/4

i've abused my prius and i have raced it in parking lot solo racing. from what i've seen.. i seemed just fine to force charge.. gas and brake at the same time while in D.. it won't do anything in P.. and the even though it's a lexus it most likely won't brake loose under full brake and throttle due to the nature of HSD...

i figured a high rev is still the best way to launch.. but you'll still get slower times eventually due to heat built-up in the battery. so... rev up till it's nice and green.. wait for the car to shut off the ICE... 7 not 8 green... after the ICE shuts off, things should be " cool".. so rev up till it's full green.. ( it won't do it every time)... the car will want to drain the pack, so shut it off. It may not start up in EV mode...

instead of driving around, you can let it sit and have things try to cool after the force charge and before the force launch. btw... if the battery get toooo green.. the ICE simply won't turn on ;)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    re: Took my "hybrid" to the dragstrip..best run was a 14 flat in the 1/4

Thanks for sharing!

Hmm... well... do some partial force charge at the light? That way, the engine will be running when the tree lights up. If not, then you're gonna have to deal with that split second delay when the engine fires up. I'd lose the spare tyre too. If we can't win with power, we gotta lose weight.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For better launch, you really want to be running, in D or B,
    and just finishing your force-charge at the line. To launch,
    you're already holding the gas fairly far down with your other
    foot firmly on the brake, and just releast the brake as you
    floor it. You'll get all your MG power snapping your neck back
    right there as the engine rapidly spools up the rest of the way
    to come in and help.
    It requires a little different thinking about how the hybrid
    system works and where the delays are, but that 450 should kick
    some serious butt -- it's a richboy's muscle stocker, no question.
    _H*

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you calll into a cold store on your way to the strip with a big ice box and buy some dry ice wrapped in news paper. Remove the trim over the battery pack and while force charging have a slab of dry ice on top to remove heat. Remove the dry ice or secure it under a blanket with ratchet tie downs during your runs.
    You can also use dry ice to cool the inverter.

Even water ice will help but is messy.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great story, thanks for sharing!

8. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How did you place over all? I'm thinking vdim still being active might still have had an "ill" effect on your drag racing. I found this video online where some races a gs 450h and a bmw 335i (i think) The gs seems to really hit its stride over 60 mph

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]

1972 Chevy Chevelle

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually is was likely a 68-70 Chevelle SS. Notice the dual headlights. It is a dead giveaway because the 1971-1972 Chevelle had single headlights. The side blinkers are also located low on the fender instead of high up closer to the headlights. Since I am not an expert and I cannot see the backseat window
    968-69 came to a point, 70-72 the window was squared off towards the back) or the rear bumper (square tail lights vs. dual round ones, except 1970 model)I cannot be sure. :)

1970 Chevelle SS
    [​IMG]

11. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I plan to go back in the spring and crack that 14 second mark.
    ljbad4life, I didn't place at all, went to get a baseline for the vehicle before I added modifications to it and the people that host the event are awesome. When I posted this thread at the local forum most were wowed by the time as its faster than most cars on there.

Its funny to drive around the track under 20mph and everyone is just looking as the car makes no sound whereas everything else is loud as heck :D

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It suddenly struck me to ask: what tire pressure were you running?
    _H*

13. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a 1967 Chevelle and I knew it was later than that, Thanks for correcting me!:mod:

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully his pressures were low so that he can now air those tires up and reduce rolling resistance and get a better ET/MPH! High tire pressure will also help with rollout from the light meaning you will cut better lights and get moving quicker.

If you are looking to beat your last time try and choose a day that is:

1. Cold (cool air is more oxygen dense)
    2. low humidity (less water, more oxygen)
    3. High barometric pressure
    These factors including base altitude affect your "effective" altitude (also called Density Altitude or DA) which in turn affects how well your car will perform. The lower the effective altitude (DA) the quicker/faster you will run at the track. So if you choose to run on a hot humid day then you can expect to run slower than if you chose to run at the same track but on a cold low humidity day. People generally don't break their records in the summer months. Fall is about the best time to go for record times. :)

In a nutshell think of it this way. On hot humid days with a high DA it can be like running your car at 4,000ft. elevation but on a cold low humidity day it can be like running your car at 3,000ft. BELOW sea level which is amazing for performance! The higher the elevation the less pressure and oxygen and your car needs lots of oxygen to make good power. That is why nitrous oxide (oxygen is the active ingredient) and turbo/superchargers work so well, they add a bunch more oxygen to your engine!

Here is a generic density altitude calculator so you can see how weather affects your effective altitude: Density Altitude Calculator - English

This weather site will allow you to look back in time to see what the weather conditions were for old track times so you can check what the DA was on that day. Scroll down to "History and Almanac"

Lincoln, California (95648) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No worries Jim. I'm jealous though, '67s are SWEET! I almost bought one but got a 1972 instead and it turned out to be a piece of junk. lol

16. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just want you to go back and wipe the smug looks off of the motor heads' faces when they see a hybrid beat them :D. How much time do you get between each heat/round?

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Smuglex, why settle for a chincy 13 second goal, and synergy drive ... when you can have 11 seconds, and use NO GAS?!
    ENJOY! ;)

1 person likes this.
  18. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great video- incredible car, unbelievable motorcycle. Thanks for sharing.

19. 1SMUGLEX

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone!!

Stock....I've run modified Lexus before at the track with fat 275/35/18 rear rubber and the 450h comes with 245/40/18. I didn't take any air out. I hope to have some lighter wheels next spring.

It was pretty funny b/c it was the only hybrid there and I knew a lot of the people there. I always get "its a hybrid" puzzled look :unsure::mellow::shocked: lol

The runs were pretty much at will, I got in 20 runs in before it was clear I wasn't going to do faster than a 14.0. When the battery was only a 1/4 full I ran a 14.5 for example.

20. subdewd

subdewd Junior Member

ooo I feel a chubby coming on, those chevelles are my favorite cars of all time.
    My high school bio teacher was just out of college and had a 72 ss. I can't prove it but I think he might have violated a few statutes about underage girls.
    My parents had a 68 chevelle concours estste wagon, with the wood on the side.