1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Took the Prius Drag Racing!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by F8L, Aug 27, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore @ Aug 28 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]310486[/snapback]</div>
    The ET sounds about right but the MPH is about 10mph too fast :) 87mph in the 1/4 would mean a 15sec ET.

I'll go out on a nice cool night and try testing the heating idea by simply letting it get nice and cool after a few hot laps. I know wheelspin wasnt an issue so traction control wasnt engaging.

2. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

It must have been 78. I did a 18.1@78mph out here (2800ft) with a DA of 8000 or something like that.

Charging the battery seemed to do nothing, I think having it around 1/2 will do the best. From what I noticed the more charged the battery was the longer the delay for when it engages the ICE off the line. There is a delay when you launch and for a second or so you are ONLY on the electric which makes the car 60ft horrid (2.6-2.8). I never got a chance to test it at the track but I think if you have the battery worn down a bit maybe to 1/3 or 1/2 you can charge it at the line so the ICE Is on then just lift the brake when the light turns green, so the ICE will already be on and there will be no delay waiting for the ICE to turn on. That might help it get a 2.4 60ft or so which will bring the ETs down by .4-.6

For an example, my 91 240sx ran a 17.0@79mph. Only 2mph faster but 1.1 second faster in the 1/4.

It's all about the 60ft.

My 95 240sx 2jz turbo ran a 13.2@107 (2.2 60ft) with stock turbos that spooled quickly the car had 330whp at that point

hp from et = 309
    hp from mph = 344

I upgraded the turbo a gave it some more boost for 440+whp and I ran a 13.3@118mph with a 2.8 60ft. the car gained 11mph of trap but lost .1 in et because of the much slower 60ft.

hp from ET = 302hp
    hp from mph = 461hp

Getting the 60ft down to a 1.7 got me a 11.3@123mph 1/4 mile with the EXACT same setup minus a different trans/stall. Same power.

Prius

Calculating a 3200lbs (prius+driver+gas) car with a 17.6 = 116whp/139hp

based on trap 3200lbs car with a 79mph trap = 123whp/147.7hp

So if you could 60ft the car better, you *should* be able to run a 17.2 or so.

Sorry for the long post, i'm a drag racer guy.

http://www.s-series.org/htm/calc/hpcalc.htm

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Yeah, the 240 is pretty quick. It should be in the 9s soon. I'm going wish a standalone and bigger injectors. Right now my fuel is maxxed out @ around 500whp on pump gas. The Buick GN is pretty similar to the supra... big laggy turbos... :) (my 240sx has a supra engine)

I also have a C5. A 02 Z06. Best I can do in that is in the 12.3 range, it's bone stock though.

Ahh, an STS turbo, I was thinking about one of those either for my 06 Chevy Singlecab with the 4.8liter V8 or putting one on the vette. I think the vette can do around 550whp with the system@5psi or so which is good since I put down 350whp stock that's a ncie increase. What turbo does the truck have? I have a A BorgWarner T70 with a .86 A/R on the 240. It's supposed to be good for around 800hp but it's a laggy mofo.

60ft is everything... My 240 still does not 60ft well for having 28in ET Street tires on it, but it's not too bad. I've got a 4000rpm stall and a Transbrake (TH400). I really need nitrous to get it off the line better but I don't want nitrous on the car. It's more impressive all-boost pump gas to me. (91 octane Cali pump gas at that).

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew you were cool form the first post. hahaha

6. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I try to avoid modding the Vette since I got it to be my *legal* car. I can go to the street races and such and not worry about being bugged or getting caught since the car is 100% stock, yet I can still run with some of the quick cars. The 240 is the beast that runs around on slicks and skinnies and hardly ever leaves the garage. It's a Nissan 240sx with a Toyota 2JZ-GTE engine and a Chevy TH400 trans. lol..

Here it is... It's quick for not really being crazy modified.

Toyota 2JZ-GTE
    Cheap Ebay Turbo Manifold
    Borg Warner T-70 Turbo
    550cc Stock USDM Injectors
    3in Downpipe
    3in Exhaust
    QTP Exhaust Electronic Cutout
    Hybrid Front Mount intercooler
    Chevy TH400 Transmission w/Brake
    Pro Torque 4000rpm Conveter

Only dyno i've done with this turbo was 440whp/460tq@15psi, I usually race it at 18-20psi

[attachmentid=4658][attachmentid=4659][attachmentid=4660]

Attached Files:

7. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Aug 27 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]310334[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, a very good movie called Heart Like a Wheel was just re-issued on DVD. It is the story of Shirley Muldowney. You should watch it.

Drag racing is one of very few athletic contests where men and women not only compete equally but also there are no hard and fast rules that require a specific type of physique in order to excel. Angelle Sampey is a multi time Pro Stock Bike champion, Melanies Troxel is currently in the top five in points in top fuel, and Shirley Muldowney was a multi time top fuel champion.

Upper body strength is not a major factor in drag racing. Teamwork, driver ability, focus and knowledge typically separate the best from the proficient. The driver has a lot to do with winning, especially at a local level where the vehicles are often handicapped.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lola'05 @ Aug 27 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]310334[/snapback]</div>
    Tell that to Shirley Muldowney or John Force's three daughters.

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if you actually kept the engine in the Prius running to minimise the lag, would that help? Say, stay in B so that the engine doesn't shut off.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 28 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]310595[/snapback]</div>
    I concur. 87 mph at the end of the 1/4 for a Prius sounds extremely unlikely given its weight and amount of power. 78 sounds about right.

I posted about this discrepency before at http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...70&#entry240670. My Maxima mentioned in that thread had 255 hp, weighed 3218 lbs and was also FWD.

12. molgrips

molgrips Member

C'mon guys, it's not an athletic contest is it? I mean really... Of course if you are racing some super dragster it might toss you around a little, but it's not exactly the Iron Man...

13. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 29 2006, 04:23 AM) [snapback]311018[/snapback]</div>
    If it were not an athletic contest then the driver would not make much difference in the outcome. I understand stick and ball sports typically require a higher level of endurance, but especially in bracket racing, the driver is an extremely large part of a winning combination.

My last full year of points I only had my regular vehicle for five of the 16 contests and still managed to enter the final weekend within striking distance of the points leader (second place). Over the course of the season I raced rental cars, dealer demo loaner vehicles, my mom's car, my mother in Law's car, and my beater 1990 Lincoln...

I also skiied professionally when I was younger, played semi-professional table tennis, and raced a stock car for two seasons at our local tracks. The concentration, awareness of of the complete environment, sensitivity to change, staging process, burnout process, and the repeated perfection necessary to compete in events that take multiple days against a high level of competition, the knowledge of body chemistry, digestion, hydration, the stress of being in a single elimination style event and the money that is on the line, the crowds of fans and spectators, the variances in weather, and awareness of all the intricacies of the vehicle and track conditions and the elements of heat... Just try sitting in a hot black car with the windoes up in a fire suit for half an hour on a 100 degree sunny day, all add up to an athletic contect of extremely short duration that takes a significant toll on the body, and then repeat that process six or ten times during the course of the day and perform better than your competitor.

Just becasue it isn't physical in the sense of trying to tackle a guy with a ball doesn't mean it is not athletic.

Are ski jumpers athletes? Are ice skaters athletes? Are motorcycle jumpers athletes? Is Tiger Woods an athlete?

I know that four middle age overweight fellows drinking beer, riding around in a cart, and losing balls at a country club are not athletes but people who play professionally are most certainly athletes of the highest caliber. I'm not talking about a few gearheads doing burnouts on a Friday night trying to impress their ladies and win a twenty dollar bet, I am talking about people who work their bodies through exercise, have practice trees, and develop skills to the point where they are better than their peers to a degree that a real drag racer can usually race a very long time against normal people without losing....

I have a cousin who played semi-pro baseball. His skill level was so much higher than any of the rest of us it was crazy, and he still wasn't good enough to break into the majors....

Yea, drag racing is a sport but many of the people who participate are not athletes. Some of us however do take it very seriously and people who do it professionally are in every way athletes.

14. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Aug 29 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]311014[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, he must have written it wrong. There is no way one could be trapping 10mph faster than everyone else and still running the same times. The prius seems to run about a 17.6@78mph most of the time. Which is far from fast, but isn’t exactly slow either. The trap speed is pretty quick.

Keeping it in B I don't think would do anything because even when you have it in "B" mode when the car is stopped the engine will be off. The issue is you need the ICE to be on from the moment you press the gas. If you've ever noticed if you floor the car from a stop it initially is electric, and a moment later the ICE engages giving you that rush of power. This slight lag is enough to cut the 60ft down probably .3 slower than it should be which ultimately cuts the 1/4 mile down probably .5 slower than it could be. It wouldn’t surprise me that with a good launch technique, good conditions, and not a whole lot of gas you could get a prius into the high 16s. I couldn’t do it because I’m at 2800ft. So I could only do it corrected, which is kinda lame, who knows what the correction factors are on a prius (probably as much as any other N/A gas car but people will dispute it).

15. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

How many miles about were on your car at this race? I stripped all the seats out and my best run was 17.741 last week. Temps were similar. Had my 15s on front and 17s on back. Less than half a tank. Maybe next time I should take out my spare too.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    upload_2015-8-24_8-57-39.jpeg

Sezy likes this.