1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tools needed for transaxel fluid check?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adamace1, Jun 2, 2012.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What type and size socket do i need to pull the plugs on the transaxel to check the fluid. Thanks in advance.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It takes a 10 mm hexagon socket, like an allen wrench. The level should be even with the bottom of the fill plug or within 10 mm.

Be sure to open the fill plug and not the drain plug:). The fill plug is above and to the left of the drain plug.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks so much, i do have ramps and have seen the plug. I am pretty sure by reading on here it's the one next to the drivers side cv axel? I'm really not interested in changing it at the moment but want to be sure it is full and will be checking it every time i change the oil.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, it is just to the left of the cv axle. I used a plastic tie wrap to check mine since it has a small angled bend at the end and it is hard to tell where the level is when it is right at the plug bottom. I could lay the tie wrap on plug bottom and when removed I could see the level on the tie wrap.

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, that is what you need.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not that much of an expert, but I don't think you need to check it that often. Some wonderful PriusChat members paid to have their tranny oil lab analyzed, and based on long-term tests of multiple Gen III Prius cars, they concluded that you should change at 30K and at 60K intervals after that. I haven't seen reports of low tranny fluid, and I'm not sure what effect the ramps will have on your check, because it will tilt the tranny.

8. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, to check the fluid level, the car has to be level, so both ends up in the air and the chassis level.

9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well my drive way slopes. So it will be pretty close to level. I'm not going to drain it just want to be sure there is enough in there. I have no clue if it was filled from factory at the correct level, or if the dealer has done something to lower the level. I just want to be safe and check it every 10k with my oil change. If the fluid got low and damaged the transaxel i don't have the 6grand plus needed to replace it. So i want to be certin it has enough fluid in it.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, I give you permission to check it, as long as you let us lazy people know how it turns out :)

11. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The fluid level should not change. Per the shop manual, 0-10mm below the fill hole is acceptable.

12. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well i have a gut feeling alot of prius transaxel failures are caused by low fluid. We have a dip stick for our ICE oil, i wish they would have one for the transaxel. Simple way to check it. I have seen a few rear axel destroyed because of low fluid and owners/oil change places not checking it. Same idea you have to pull a plug ti check it.

13. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fluid was 1/2 inch below the fill plug. The fluid was so black i couldn't leave it in there. I did a drain and fill today.

14. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    which begs the question, where are these gen III transaxle failures being reported?...because they aren't appearing here.

15. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't say gen III. I think alot of these sealed/no dipstick transmissions are not being checked, then later in the cars life it gets low on fluid. I don't have the link but have read someones teardowns of a few gen II transaxel, and they thought a good percent of failures are caused by low fluid.

16. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And why is it that TA's are sealed? I haven't seen any reports of TA leaks let alone failures. see if you can find the link because I'd love to see actual data showing incidence of fluid-related failures(not incidents....incidence).

17. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the plastic cover under the engine/transaxel need to be completely removed or can I change the fluid through the oil change flap?

18. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The whole thing needs to come out. Though, the hack flat-rate mechanic at the dealer removed the screws for half of mine and bent it back to save him time. :cautious:

19. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The dealer removed the little oil change door on my car. I could have done it without doing anything to the big flap but i thought the fluid would have poored out onto the flap and made a big mess. I unbolted the back half and let it hang down during the drain.

20. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just changed the fluid today and pulled the bottom panel to do it. What a piece of cake to do.