1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top 10 requests for the 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by asjoseph, Oct 5, 2008.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm all for Bob Wilson's 24 items.

Personally, I'm most interested in a more comfortable and adjustable seat (comfort is OK with me right now, but I'd love more adjustments for leg support and lumbar adjustments). I'd also like to see more valuable information provided directly on the MFD -- not just about the ICE and electrical usages and draws, and not just a "miles to empty" readout, but also the ability to read engine and radiator temps -- and to have better iPod connectivity.

Another "big" one for me would be plug-in availability with a 10-mile electic only option. Also high on my list would be a 110/120 (whatever it takes) outlet, as well as an ability for the car to advise of SOC on the 12V battery and the state of that battery's health.

More? A sunroof option would be grand, but heated seats would be better.

2. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The best tire companies are Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone. They are the largest and have the best research facilities. I would stick to any of these in buying replacement tires. As for the Goodyear OE tire on the Prius, I see nothing wrong driving about 2500 miles so far. As long as you don't try to drive the car like a sports car--which it isn't.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    could some moderator please move this out of the news forum, its not really news and its taking up the home page

4. offersk

offersk Junior Member

I'd like to see separate dimmers for the speedometer vs. the other dash lights (steering wheel control lights and the display control lights, etc.). To be clear, the speedometer should be on it's own dimmer and everything else should be on another dimmer.

5. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Comfortable, supportive, and adjustable seats.

A true tilting and telescoping steering wheel.

That is all.

6. rac16700

rac16700 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How about an audio screen that allows for more characters so one can see the complete name of the artist or the scores of a game using Sirius radio?

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    * Maybe a bit more 'inherent' power for steep hill climbing or emergency acceleration. 'Inherent' meaning bit less throttle needed and resultant engine revving. 'Maybe' meaning I'm not sure about this - 1,000 miles not enough time to tell

* For sure a bit more sound dampening material to let that JBL system shine through on rough roads too.

Geez, that's all I can think of.

8. punawele

punawele New Member

From what I see of the 2010 model, the existing consol is missing and a new console appears with the wire shifting handle in that console down below away from the steering wheel. I like that shifter right where it is. It is handy direct from the steering wheel for braking mode which I have to use often living on the side of a mountain. From the pictures, I see a module above in the roof, but am not clear what it does.
    Chuck, Kailua Kona, HI
    2005 Prius, received Oct. '04

9. dfisher52

dfisher52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the ability to display the current consumption on the dash somewhere by the speedometer so you could continue to monitor the consumption while viewing the nav (or audio, or climate, etc.) screen.

10. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A couple of things...

Polarity protection for battery jumping.
    Larger capacity traction battery - tweak the ECU to use more battery.
    ODBC data on the MFD - temps, current, revs etc.
    User configurable main screen on the MFD, show average and instant MPG + revs etc.
    More data on the MFD with regards to the traction battery, temp, SOC etc.. and also the SOC of the auxilliary 12v battery

That's all... nothing much!

11. Postea

Postea Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All the previous suggestions are excellent ideas so I won't repeat them.

I'd like to see the navigation system have some type of "real time traffic". The new Acura has traffic and weather. This is a subscription option but it comes with the navigation system and you can just activate it if you need it. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and traffic problems and accidents are a real problem most of the time. There are at least a couple of systems that offer traffic. I find myself using my iPhone maps while I'm driving because it has real time traffic. I'd like to be able to change navigation destination while driving. Also, most new car radios have an HD Radio option. This is DVD quality sound but broadcast by regular radio stations. Also, an iPod/iPhone plug that displays song info would be great.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    1. Reasonably priced NAV DVDs (like $50) WITH information on what was updated since the last release. Could be a web page for all I care. I will not pay several hundred $ for something that may not even improve my mapping.
    2. Joystick shifter where it is NOW, could even be a shorter stalk. PLEASE do not put that waste of space console arch in the car.
    3. Ability to use the fog lights for DRL. They are worthless as is except for emergency backup when you lose a headlight.
    4. The ability to set things via the MFD. We should have to do a dance for the things we can now set and there a things we SHOULD be able to set

• Turn on/off backup beeper
    • Turn on/off seatbelt reminders
    • Set the temp at which the Auto Climate Controls uses particular vent settings. It NEEDS to go to Defrost/floor at no less than 40F, higher if it is raining.
    • Which doors open when you unlock the car via the SKS
    And as noted, a PHEV car :)

13. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A real "premium" sound system.

14. seesfar

seesfar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I read all the posts and I would like to see PDA function built into MFD to keep records of milage, fillups etc.

15. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Driver's seat memory. My knees aren't going to last beyond 2010 getting in the car after my wife's been driving it.

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Sportier exterior styling particularly on front end, similar to 09 Corolla, Camry styling

2) Somewhat more power especially for steep hill / grade climbing and for accelerating from stop lights and onto freeways.

3) Low cost, manually adjustable driver's seat height such that taller drivers can feel more 'in the car'.

4) Telescopic steering wheel adjustment along with tilt.

5) Little more sound proofing to deaden road noise.

6) Increased electric drive capability to accelerate faster and to higher speed on battery. Can currently accelerate to 30 mph on battery but only at pace that would frustrate others behind.

that's all I can think of, still a Prius rookie

In response to post above, I find the JBL sound system quite good. I got about 15 minutes listen to pack2 audio on the road, ooh, wouldn't have worked for me. I imagine luxury cars have some amazing audio as well as quiet interiors.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The JBL audio is decent but not the best. Our 2002 Camry with the 6-speaker JBL audio sounds a LOT better.

18. Karplusan

Karplusan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. More Electrical components. Larger Electric motor, Plug-in options, solar panels, etc...
    2. Stop using gas AND elecricity to move the car forward at complete stops.
    3. Flex Fuel options.
    4. Direct fuel/energy measurement. MPG is nice, but alternate routs that take more time/distance that increase MPG may or may not reduce total energy.
    5. If Back-up camera is present, a mode to access it while not in reverse.
    5.1 Screen capture for the back-up camera. (Get the licence plate recorded on that tailgater)
    7. 12V battery reverse polarity protection.
    8. Easier access to 12V battery posts when jumping other cars. (Big insulated jumper cables have to be hel in place in the front post)
    9. Night time modes. Dimmers on Side mirrors, View Screen and dashboard.
    10. Automatic Audio volume adjustment for ambient noise. (The next step up from volume controls on the steering wheel)

Other idea:
    Side and/or front camera's. (How close is the curb/line?)

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I had an idea on the drive home tonite in 20 F weather. It would be really neat if the control system in the Climate control could be set rather than keeping the cabin at a set temperature, to keep the engine from temp from droping so low, that the car falls out of hybrid mode. Which actually happened to me this morning, even with 85% grill block, when I turned on the Climate control at 65 F for about 10 minutes. I turned the Climate on with the Engine temp at 91 C, and in the 10 minutes it was below 70 C.

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Picking and choosing from other's lists and my own observations:
    1. Better engine temperature/thermal management including gauges for engine and inverter coolant temps, and a shutter system for the front grills.
    2. Ditch the troublesome low capacity bladder fuel tank system for one that can be filled reliably and indicates reliably. Doing this will save enough cost per vehicle to easily pay for #1.
    3. Seating for six when needed.
    4. Bullet proof protection against reverse polarity jumps--this is a major reliability issue since the system is too delicate for standard jump starting.
    5. Ability to glide up to 50 mph or so as mentioned earlier by donee, this would really improve city mileage in 45 zones with normal traffic...and in 55 zones when there was little traffic.
    6. Multi-mode cruise control for hold speed or best efficiency.
    7. Plug in battery capability. (Have to say I really liked Bob Wilson's idea of preheat and precool from plug in as well, top notch.)
    8. User configurable MFD for various gauges (temps, rpm, voltages/amps, etc.)
    9. Telescoping steering wheel.
    10. Better quality/thickness glass in the front windshield so that it doesn't crack every time it chips.