1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top 10 requests for the 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by asjoseph, Oct 5, 2008.

1. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read many requests for heated seats. I've driven in Wisconsin when it was 20 below, albeit a different car, and standard seats take forever to warm up to a bearable temperature, especially if the car is parked outside. However, I think heated seats would also take a couple minutes, at least, to warm up.

A different problem that plagues a warm-climate driver like me ... is excessively warm and insulating seats. After about 15 minutes of driving, my back is sweating, even with a comfortable air conditioned cabin air temperature.

Here's a simple solution to solve both problems ... a mesh chair. Not those cheap seat covers that claim to be "breathable", but a high-quality, durable, strong, fully adjustable seat with high-tech mesh fabric. I purchased $500 mesh office chair -- and, oh what a difference! Why can't they put this technology in a car? I've searched and there's not even an aftermarket car seat with this fabric!

This is the office chair I have, and it's absolutely incredible! Strong and durable too, qualities I look for in everything I buy. I call it my "Terminator Chair", since it looks very skeletal in appearance. Raynor Ergohuman High-Back Mesh Chair (ME7ERG) - Free Shipping! Eurotech Chairs

This chair is completely transparent with regard to temperature. Your legs, butt and back are fully exposed to the cabin air, and yet fully supported at the same time.

I want 2 of these seats in my next car!

2. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    In no particular order:

1) Lower rear windshield that you can actually see out of.
    2) Inexpensive iPhone/iPod control. Aux input standard on all base models.
    3) Plug-in
    4) Better sound-proofing
    5) Better sound system
    6) Better ergonomics for the in-dash electronics. (It's a confusing mix of buttons and the touchscreen on the 2004.)
    7) Factory mounted hitch for bike racks
    8) Quiet AC
    9) 5-star crash ratings on even the base model

3. infogeek

infogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In no particular order:
    1. Those suggestions that make the hybrid system smarter and more economical
    2. Voice activated ability to randomize (shuffle) CD files
    3. Ability to change phone book phone numbers without having to change the name associated with the ph. number.
    4. Ability to create your own voice commands
    5. Better voice recognition (try changing CD tracks)
    6. Quieter and safer tires
    7. Bigger audio buttons on the dashboard
    8. More affordable option sets
    9. Smaller versions e.g. compact car size.
    10. Better side visibility in the front, e.g. when pulling out of a parking garage.
    Rear visibility takes getting used to but I am fine with it now.

4. infogeek

infogeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Forgot to add, if I listen to the audio system for a long time in ACC mode (pressing Power button without pressing brake pedal), I have problems after starting the car. After listening to the audio system for more than 10 minutes or so in ACC mode, I will press the Power button and the car appears to go into Ready mode (all warning lights come on temporarily, etc.). However, if I try to shift out of neutral while pressing the brake pedal, the Prius will stay in neutral. I have to shut the car off by pressing the Power button and then restart the car (Pressing Power button while pressing brake pedal). It only happens if I am in ACC mode for a long time. Otherwise, I can start the car from ACC mode by pressing the Power button again, press the brake pedal and shift from Neutral to Drive easily.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I see the next wave as weather or internet without a subscription.
    If we can presently use our cell phone while being subscribed to Verizon or whoever via our cell as it interfaces with the navigation... why can't they also interface the web browsing thats already on our phones?... going to favorites you can access anything you want... "where I have my favorite weather stations" etc?.... that should be easy.
    Right now, they give you six "favorites" for destinations that you can access while moving... why not do the same for internet locations?

Someone else is going to do it if they don't... who ever thought we would be making phone calls through our car?

If a subscription was charged... then the weather should be real time to our location as it follows the gps in the car. When we drive under a thundercloud.. we should be able to see it coming on our map.

If we pick "hybrid" mode, we could see both the map and the weather.... similar to how google allows you to see the road map and satellite at the same time "except that's not real time".
    Presently.. that would be difficult to interface local information from weather centers to the car and expensive.

The simplest, cheapest and the method most likely to be utilized with present technology and cost would be to simply allow the Nav display to be an extension of whats already on our phone.

Allot of what makes driving dangerous is trying to see your tiny screen on your phone... this would eliminate that need.

I know many will be against anything that distracts, but the tiny screen on the phone is the worst distraction to see as its bouncing in your hand down the road.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A display showing the Power Split Device and RPMs of the various components (ICE, MG1, MG2, etc.) in relation to current speed.

I think that would go a long way to educate drivers not only about how the HSD system works but also how drivers can maximize fuel efficiency.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I agree... even as some could care less about amperage, oil pressure etc, others find alot of satisfaction in knowing exactly whats going on in the internals.
    All of this monitorization is already in place and ready to be tapped in... all we need is a scanguage of sorts to present it... we are talking " minor" bucks here... it should at the very least be an option.

Not a 500.00 option either....maybe a couple of hundred at the very most, or why not just make it standard?

I don't think the information would intimidate anybody from wanting to drive the car???

So whats the hold up here???? :cheer2:

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd like to see the speedometer where it belongs, in front of the DRIVER. I never understood why Toyota had it in the center of the dash on the previous Prius and now kind of off center.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's quicker to refocus the eyes if it's further away. While the distance your eyes have to travel may be longer if it's in the cente vs. in front of you, your eyes will refocus quicker when you look back at the road if it's in the centre.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For zenMachine's idea, search for 'prius nomograph' on the internet. It is just begging to be animated on a Prius screen. Has been begging for years...