1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top 20 - MPG Record Holders

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 25, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DOH!!! Sorry guys. Doing it now. :sleep:

Agent J likes this.
  2. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Aww man I didn't know this thread was here. I never took a pic of my trip distance and mpg when I had my high mark in june this year.

I drive a prius c four with 16's from toyota. I have my tires at 37 psi all the way around. I achieved 59.9 with 521 miles driven. This was in Jun of this year. This was before I knew the year was wrong :). I submit as proof my top 3 record pic. My main technique for this mpg was constant speed and DWB. I accelerated normally for the prius ( although apparently slow compared to everyone else :) ) and never went above 55 on the freeway. I gave myself generous room to get off the freeway every time coasting about a quarter mile before getting to the stop. I hope this is enough to be included in the list.

IMG_5700.JPG

I am adding two trips as evidence I can drive at least at 59.9 mpg. These trips were done on the freeway staying at 55. I think the final mph for these trips at least was 45-47 mph.

IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4628.JPG

F8L likes this.
  3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats and welcome to the list!

Keep up the good work. I bet it is going to get real competitive next spring and summer! We're at 19 members now so soon some people are going to get bumped off the list. That will serve to light a fire under their rear! LOL

4. sisharp

sisharp Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    haha ya. You know, I just finished looking for a better route to school ( about a 11.5 mile trip ). I usually take the freeway and I'm pretty much stuck at 50-55 mpg for the majority of the tank. Maybe if I get off the freeway I have a chance to get over 60 in my lil c with daily commutes. I only noticed the 1 other c driver although he's sitting at the top :). I virtually have nowhere I can safely drive as slow as I would like. Most people are jerks when they see a little car putting along at the speed limit. How dare I right?

ufourya likes this.
  5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always do circles around an airport for hours on end. ;) Hahaha

Codyroo and markabele like this.
  6. Selzier

Selzier Whee!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ffff are you serious? I'm almost knocked out of this list! I'm going to have to start really hypermiling again despite my vow not to...

Maybe I will take a day just to find a nice empty stretch of road and just go like 500 miles in circles....

F8L likes this.
  7. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    My teenage son would ask if he could push the car the last 0.1 mi to the garage. After one or two tries and no effect on the battery, he quickly gave that up.

F8L likes this.
  8. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The hypermiling technique of pushing the car to get better fuel efficiency (ala Fred Flintstone) is mainly for a manual transmission conventional gasoline car (not a full hybrid) whereby the car's transmission is put in neutral and the car is pushed over 5 mph (preferrable down a hill) before the driver does a cold start of the gasoline engine- the technique is suppose to reduce the initial load on a cold started engine ( and lower fuel consumption) . Car with automatic transmissions use the ICE to power its transmission hydraulics so they don't gain much from doing this. Because a Prius will initially power up the ICE to not just recharge the battery but to warm up the catalytic converter (so it can get ultra low emissions) -- so this hypermiling technique has limited value to a Prius.

9. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    57.5 506m.JPG

I find it odd you ask for a screenshot showing state of charge as the Gen II won't show state of charge on the same screen as the average MPG and total miles. I didn't bother to go back for a pic of the state of charge.

I also did over 500 miles but I dropped to one block on the gas gauge before I left the interstate and I won't know until the morning if I'll make it back to the gas station without running out of gas. My suggestion to address that is to make the requirement 8 x the lowest MPG on the list (60 mpg x 8 would be 480 miles required) eventually the Gen III / Prius C crowd will make it impossible for a Gen 2 to get on the list without extreme hypermiling but until then let the Gen II drivers do it without stressing the overfill / run out of gas limits on the bladder.
    Anyway this is a normal tank for my car the specifics are for this tank are:

57.5 MPG displayed (tires are closer to accurate RPM than OEM so the discrepancy in accuracy will still be present but reduced)

506 miles driven in about 15 days driving from Nov 14th (estimated) to Nov 29th (actual)*
    one way commute of about 15 to 16 miles twice a day 5 days a week plus the occasional grocery shopping trip

The normal commute is a few miles on 25-40 speed limits with several stop signs and red lights. Followed by the majority of the trip on the "interstate" where normal speeds are 55 - 70 mph with lots of hills. And back to red lights and 35 mph speed limit the last couple of miles. Too many hills here to ever "pulse and glide" it's more like climb and coast or climb and keep your foot on the gas depending on the too and from. The elevation is close to equal at any random point in the trip it's just tons of rolling "foothills".

Yokohama Avid ENvigor 185/65/15 inflated to about 48 front and about 46 rear (sidewall max is 51)**

Temps have been below freezing in the mornings (upper 20s/ low 30s f) to a max of upper 60s in the afternoon. No air conditioning use but the climate control was set to the lowest fan speed - recirculate - 65 f most of the time (so long as the front window didn't fog up). Note the pic shows 48f at the end of the trip and that was at about 5:30 pm just at sunset.

Gen II grill blocking of 100% upper and about 5 to 10% lower (leftover pipe insulation from doing the upper).

* I could look up the gas purchase on the credit card but I figure it doesn't matter, I could also take a pic tomorrow to get an even higher number at the gas station but I'm not sure I'll bother.

** I have run these tires at 51/48 for extended periods in the past but they don't leak much if any air so I only add / remove air a couple of times a year even though I check the tire pressure at least once every one to three months.

F8L likes this.
  10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, got gas today after 522 miles the display showed 57.7 and I pumped 8.126 gallons.

You might notice that the gallons don't add up to the amount of gas I used. This is because the prior fill up was when the car was around 70f and the current fillup happened when the car was around 35f. The bladder shrunk or just wasn't as flexible in the cold and I couldn't put in as much gas as I used.

Another note I forgot to mention in the prior post is that I use 100% gasoline. The lack of ethanol is responsible for a small portion of the MPG I get.

F8L likes this.
  11. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    The curse continues. And this is in 60-80 degree weather. How do you get yourself to stop driving like this? 70+ mpg again.JPG

F8L likes this.
  12. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Taking advantage of the warmer weather since the last tank, I was able to get a better run at the start of the tank. Also tried leaving work 5-10 mins earlier than usual to avoid the worst of peak hour traffic. Driving technique as per usual, but still keeping up and even getting ahead of mostly everyone .. although i have to admit, i change lanes more often to keep the momentum going and reading the lights and lane flow far far ahead. By now, i already know which lanes at which section of my commute are faster and also the timing of each traffic light, which help in consistent daily consumption.

Set-up is the same: Forceum D850 205/50/16 91W Non-LRRs on Volk TE37s. H&R sport springs, strut brace, stiffening brace, thicker rear sway bar, TPMS, SGII, EBH. [edit]: I forgot to mention i'm now only able to use the EBH in the morning. For about 3 tanks in winter, I was able to use the EBH (on a digital timer) in the afternoon as well where i park my car which really improved my afternoon commute by at most 6mpg. I was then forced to look for a better route (less hilly) going home and also modify my hypermiling technique. That was stressful but gratifying when i started to achieve better numbers. (lol!) I couldn't use the better "work-home" route in the morning because i'd have to pay toll which defeats my efforts.

photo (1).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    1,202.7 km @ 42.6 liters ~ 3.54 liters/100km
    747.32 mi @ 11.25 gallons ~ 66.4 mpg or 28.23km/liter

To get an idea of my commute, here's the elevation profile of my morning and afternoon runs to and from work. If only those big hills were smaller in size, i could definitely improve and perhaps even reach 800 miles(?) ! :unsure:

Home to work:
    home-work.jpg

Work to home:
    work to home.jpg

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I "Like" that twice? LOL

Agent J likes this.
  14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We need a picture of the final numbers to qualify you for them. Thems the rules. :)

I think the 500 mile requirement is fine. Anyone being competitive will be able to easily achieve the 500 mile minimum. At this point they have to beat your 57.5mpg and you got your 500 mile minimum.

If we are going to drop the minimum then I suggest 200 miles so I can use my 95mpg trip. LOL

15. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I "Like" a "Like"? haha!

F8L likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh hell no. I'm placing a hex on you now. You are not going to knock me down the list!

*slices the neck of a rooster and shakes it in your direction while doing a rain dance*

17. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Spare the roosters. I'm already on the list one notch above you. I believe the rules are one listing per person.
    So if I beat my record, I won't knock you down a notch.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *looks at the list then down at the dead rooster*

Damn. You're right. Poor lil guy. :(

19. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great stuff Agent J, even if you did nudge me down one place in the rankings. (y)

When I looked at your picture of your MFD something caught my eye and I remembered this picture that I took late at night on 2012-11-22. Can you spot the similarity?
    20121122_2252_3841.jpg
    I have to admit that I drove the last 165 km with a flashing fuel gauge pip! Hopefully I would not have to do this again since I had to fill up with 47.48 litre. This is the longest distance that I drove on one tank on the open road. My longest distance of 1228 km on one tank was driven in town and then I only used 41 litre to fill up.

It is nice for me to find somebody with similar vehicle, seasons and temperatures to compare with. Hopefully the new tyres that I fitted 2 months ago will soon be run in and should I also be able to attempt to join the 800 mile (1288 km) club.

Where did you find the elevation profile. I would like to optimize my daily commute as well.

Like you I have also found that leaving a few minutes earlier can make a significant difference in fuel consumption. Do you use the EBH during summer time too? When making the first trip in the morning, do you let the ICE idle first until it shuts down or do you drive off immediately?

Keep up the good stuff.

Agent J likes this.
  20. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Converting between L/100km is not that easy because division is involved. I don't know if this helps or not, but if you take 235 and divide it by the L/100km number, you get miles/gallon.

In this example, roughly speaking round 4.8 to 5.0 and round 235 to 250, and you get about 50 mpg as compared to the actual number of 49.0 for 4.8 or 45 for the 5.2 number.