1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top 20 - MPG Record Holders

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jul 25, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok folks. We have now reached a point where you must attain a 60mpg tank or higher to have a seat on the Top 20 list. Congrats to everyone. Summer is just around the corner so I expect to see some people breaking their own records. :)

walter Lee likes this.
  2. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Justin

Could you update mine again? :)
    I would of went for the 800 mile tank if tomorrow started the weekend. I don't feel comfortable trying it during the work week where I get low mpg going to work and going out for lunch each day.

77.3mpg.JPG

F8L likes this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Especially considering I don't own a Prius anymore, so I can never improve it. :(

4. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? What do you have now?

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just my truck. :(

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I'll post as I get scores above 60 but I'm not going to bother to grab a camera unless I get something noticeably further up the list. Maybe 63 will be enough, maybe won't bother until 65.

F8L likes this.
  7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Oh, No! :( :eek::cry:
    And here all this time ... I was thinking that you were not driving your Prius in the winter so you could keep your steller Mileage log in the clouds!! :confused: :rolleyes:
    Geez, What happen? o_O

8. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately lost the Prius in a divorce. :(

9. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    That sucks, sorry to hear that.
    I was thinking the same thing as Walter and you were not driving your Prius in the winter.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Updated! Great work, Tony!

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll be back in a Prius or better soon enough, bro! :)

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hope so too. Sorry to hear that your marriage didn't work out.

13. calirider

calirider ECOmobile

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How is this high possible? Do you have a video of your technique on YouTube or an explanation of it somewhere. I could only see that as possible on a closed course or something.

14. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    When hypermiling, route planning, timing lights (DWB, driving without brakes), accelerate between 1600-2200 rpm and pulse & glide are the most important.
    Weather plays a big factor. I live in the Phoenix area, temps have been warm lately, but not too warm for AC. Temps have been 50s for the low and 80s for the high.
    The winters are not that bad here, coldest 20s, 30s F in the morning but usually stays in the 40s for the low.
    I grill block which helps me stay above 60mpg (calculated) during the winter.
    Summer is tough, have to use AC both day and night which hurts MPG.
    It will be interesting how I do this summer.
    Last summer I didn't hypermile as much as I have these last 6 months and I averaged around 54 mpg.

15. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ouch! :eek:
    Really sorry to hear that your marriage didn't work out. :(

16. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Just found this post, and not to be rude, but i think i'm bumping Sisharp off this list :)
    Attached is my top MPG (sorry for slight blur)

2010 Prius II
    Miles 576.4
    MPG 61.3
    Avg speed 44 MPH
    technique - pulse and glide, draft behind other cars, trip is 90% highway so I try to seek out slow cars or semis and just follow behind them as to not feel guilty for holding up traffic, weather was unseasonably warm with temps in the 60s during my drive. oh and not letting my wife drive it shes an MPG killer
    Time of year March 15 to March 27 2012
    Tires - stock yokohamas at 42 psi all around

Probably could have done a lot better if my daily drive wasn't 25 miles each way on the interstate with speedlimits of 70 :(

Either way I made the top 20 list :)

Attached Files:

• mpg.jpg
      mpg.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  17. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day everyone,

I would like to submit my current tank.
    • 819 km at 3.6 l/100km (508 miles at 65.28 mpg).
    • Strategy followed: Let the ICE idle at startup until into S2 before setting off. I have a very steep uphill from my driveway and do not want to tax the battery by starting and driving off. Pulse and glide, Driving Without Brakes, Driving With Load, timing of traffic lights, selection of best route and leaving a few minutes earlier. Accelerate at 1600 rpm on level road and cruise at 1200 rpm when going over 70 kph (42 mph). No EBH or grill blocking.
    • All of the distance is commuting in town during late summer / early autumn here on the southern tip of Africa. Temperatures between 20 °C and 35 °C (68 °F to 95 °F). Elevations vary between 1440 to 1380 mASL (4724 to 4527 fASL) over a 15 km (9 mile) commute. I used the Android app named Elevation Profile to select the best route for my commute.
    • Tyres Michelin Energy Saver (not A/S) at 290 / 280 kpa front / rear (42 / 40 psi) used for about 11000 km (6800 miles).
    Just to the right of the MFD the fuel gauge can be seen with one pip below half tank. I guess I should attempt to become a member of the 800 mile club. The tank started off at 3.8 l/100km (61.8 mpg) and slowly dropped down. I guess the decreasing weight of the fuel tank might have something to do with this? For this tank I am trying the 1600 / 1200 rpm strategy but I am going to test the 15 kw / 14 IGN and other strategies as well on future tanks. Any suggestions regarding the strategies to test will be very welcome. I will again be using grill blocking during winter and I am seriously considering an EBH for the winter.

2013-03-25 09.45.19.jpg

Agent J and F8L like this.
  18. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just reading on some the ways you guys get these incredible numbers.. and a lot has to do with your locations and routes(minimize speed, stopping). In my area, it's hilly, lots of lights/intersections, often windy and speeds are high(relatively speaking) . All those factors seem to be key. Looking at the average speeds, I don't think I can comfortably drive that slow on my route and definitively not continuously. Just looking for easy ways to improve within my area.

One tip I did get from this is do not use "B". Just brake instead. Thanks and keep posting technics!

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does your average speed read on your display?

I cannot compete with these guys on my daily commute. A 98% freeway commute with a 1,200ft. elevation gain just won't work. I can pull off a tank or two that is competitive if I do not have to run that commute. The only way I was able to get into the top 10 originally was to drive around in circles for hours on end while using the pulse & glide method. Otherwise I'd be stuck with a 65mpg tank as my best. My commute was only good for high 50s.

Obviously this was before my PIP.

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My current tank I'm at avg. 27mph and looks like my best tank yet. So I guess my average speed is not too far off.. the previous tanks if memory serves, I was in low 30's? So it must be the techniques, routes and up'ed psi.

What's I'm correlating this with is average speed on my bike at local races and club rides, we can average over 23mph. 23.7 was fastest I can recall in a ~30 mile loop.

Thanks for detailing out how you got on the top 20. Makes sense, non stop! My commute, short trip, hills and lots of stops. High 50's is still unreal in my world.