1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top-off Recharge?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ny_rob, Oct 23, 2012.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, they mean weeks, months.

Rob, I'm like you with the extra night duties (wife's working on her doctorate besides full time job); however, my volt has a little more in the EV bank at the end of the day but I still always plug in the car with it set to begin charging immediately. The owners manual recommends it so as to provide power for the active thermal management system but I also want to always be ready for any unexpected driving. Just last week, I had to make a late run to the pharmacy for some kid meds that wouldn't have been covered by timed charging. If TOU, well that muddies the waters but I don't have that option locally.

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should note that the 0.3 miles is based on past history miles per full charge (some moving average) and so isn't necessarily a good measure. If you always drive the same route then maybe it is. But since the battery drains from full, maybe a couple per cent per month you are not going to have a significantly more full battery by charging one hour before you go somewhere vs 10-15 hours, IMO.

Also, I don't think that you can top off the battery. I'm not sure, but based on trying it a few times, if the battery gets fully charged it won't let you charge again until you've driven the car. (I haven't tried driving just 10 ft or just 100 ft, etc to see if there is a threshold).

Mike

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So, by the way, my experience:
    finished charging the car Sunday night. haven't driven it since. plugged in tonight, light went on for about 5 seconds, then shut off. disconnected the charger.
    started the car and played with the radio for a minute or so. turned off the car, plugged in, same result.
    so, to the OP, charge away, you're not really losing anything by having the car stay topped off overnight.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here len! charged sunday, went to work 48 hours later, same ev range on the icon and same actual ev range on my commute. no noticeable loss. negative effects to the battery? unknown.