1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Top off when filling?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tovli, Jan 11, 2009.

?
  1. At a round dollar value

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. When pump shuts off first time

50 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. When pump shuts off second time

28 vote(s)
    26.2%
  4. When no more gas will go in

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. None of the above

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks For The Reply!
    Nice to Know as our other driver that will be getting to 2010 knows nothing about the bladder.

2. JayPrius

JayPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was forced into topping off with multiple clicks on my first fill-up (2009 Prius Package 2, delivered mid-December 2008). The dealer claimed that he had "fuel spill all over himself" trying to give me my first full tank... hopefully my fuel canister is not already ruined. Anyway, the first thing we did with the car was drive 400+ miles to the inlaws. About 200 miles in, the last pip started flashing and I stopped for fuel. I got less than a gallon and a half in before the pump shut off! So I realized that unless I wanted to stop for fuel every 40 miles, I would have to continue after the click-off.

I would like to see Toyota invalidate my warranty because I wanted to drive more than 50 miles between fill-ups.

Thankfully my fillups since have been more sane at maybe 7 gallons before click-off. Even that imho is unacceptable as the effective range is less than my BMW with less than half the mpg. I love the car but the bladder is ridiculous!

3. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Top off when filling? DON'T DO IT!

Thanks. One of the vent line hole is visible and the other is behind that nozzle flange and is not but from the pictures it seems to be about the 12 o'clock position.
    Precisely:D especially since the vapor entry points are on top side of the fill neck and the fill neck is on a downward slope.

Yes, understood.

Yes, that would make sense. And, if the nozzle works properly, fuel would be only a few inches, the length of the nozzle, below the opening, perhaps a a cup of fuel. On my last fill I lowered a leather strap to see how far away from the top of the neck; I will better measure again on the next one.:D
    Thanks for understanding what I was trying to understand and saying.

4. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted this in at least one or two other threads before but...

Filling up once I didn't stare at the meter while it was pumping, but when I finally looked at it realizing it should have been full by now it already said 12.1 gallons had been pumped and I stopped it immediately knowing it's an 11.9 gallon tank. I couldn't help but wonder where all that gas went? the most I've ever put in the tank before that was maybe 10.1 gallons... I walked to the cashier and advised her I think their pump must not be pumping as much as it says it has and should be checked. I reported it to I think it was the dept of Agriculture that oversees weights and measures. I never heard anything back about that pump, but they said they would let me know if anything bad came back on it. Never did figure out where all that gas went?

BTW, I normally wait till the pump shuts off then go about 3 to 5 more shots. So for the survey, I choose when the pump shuts off the second time.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It went into the vapor recovery canister, if you were lucky. Into the space between the bladder and the outer wall of the tank, if you were not. But if nothing bad has happened since I'd say you were lucky.

6. jimm1909

jimm1909 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    i always top it off